Demba Ba

KonohasOrangeFlash

Arsenal better make it. Without CL games as distraction they would do pretty well in the league.

Yup I also don't get why people want our domestic rivals out of the CL.

I wish them to make it as far as they can in the CL. They will not be as focused on the league + when we win the league, the argument we won the best league in the world sound much more legit when there are some EPL teams in the CL semis. Also I'd much rather face Arsenal or City in the CL final than Bayern or Real.

Yup I also don't get why people want our domestic rivals out of the CL.

I wish them to make it as far as they can in the CL. They will not be as focused on the league + when we win the league, the argument we won the best league in the world sound much more legit when there are some EPL teams in the CL semis. Also I'd much rather face Arsenal or City in the CL final than Bayern or Real.

this sounds like small club mentality. we play in the champions league to play the best teams in Europe and showcase our talent. why do we want to play Arsenal and Liverpool over Bayern? I'd rather we play Bayern, Barca and Real to show we can beat them and legitimately be the best club in Europe.

So we can take the piss out of them. :carlo:

Keeping them in is far more important. Us going out of the UCL in 2009/10 helped us win the league. United had two mammoth matches against Bayern and if you look at their performances after those two matches you can see why we won it. They played Bayern away on a Tuesday, then had a Saturday, 12.45pm kick-off at Old Trafford against us. Then they played Bayern on the following Thursday, and went to Ewood Park and drew 0-0 with Blackburn.

The same applies to us last season - those two Atletico semi-final matches were massive distractions to our league performances (the Sunderland game was utterly horrific). That's why we want them to stay in, if we go out early.

It works both ways, but I'm happy for Arsenal, Liverpool, City to stay in the UCL as long as us this season, if not longer if we go out early.

Keeping them in is far more important. Us going out of the UCL in 2009/10 helped us win the league. United had two mammoth matches against Bayern and if you look at their performances after those two matches you can see why we won it. They played Bayern away on a Tuesday, then had a Saturday, 12.45pm kick-off at Old Trafford against us. Then they played Bayern on the following Thursday, and went to Ewood Park and drew 0-0 with Blackburn.

The same applies to us last season - those two Atletico semi-final matches were massive distractions to our league performances (the Sunderland game was utterly horrific). That's why we want them to stay in, if we go out early.

It works both ways, but I'm happy for Arsenal, Liverpool, City to stay in the UCL as long as us this season, if not longer if we go out early.

Great point....but I still want to take the piss. :D

Suppose it's a win-win for us.

If Arsenal get dumped in Europey, that could prove as much a distraction in the league if not more.

It's easy to say play the reserves and the team will be fresh for Sunday, that sounds logical on paper but in practice doesn't work like that, see Spurs last season for example.