Monterrey v Chelsea

Jase

lol "Soccer"...it's FOOTBALL. You kick the ball with the FOOT.

"Soccer" is an English usage starting in the 19th century for association football and not an Americanism. Many English-speaking countries actually use the term "soccer" usually to differentiate it from other sports (American Football, Aussie Football, Gaelic football). Using the term "soccer" is certainly is not a sign of a lack of knowledge or appreciation of the sport.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Soccer" is an English usage starting in the 19th century for association football and not an Americanism. Many English-speaking countries actually use the term "soccer" usually to differentiate it from other sports (American Football, Aussie Football, Gaelic football). Using the term "soccer" is certainly is not a sign of a lack of knowledge or appreciation of the sport.

and i didn't aim it as a lack of knowledge or appreciation of the sport.

i don't like american sports (except Basketball and ice-hockey) and believe that football should referred to as football and not soccer. american/aussie football barely use foot as far as i know. just call it rugby or something

Cool for you that makes you glad, but I think Rafa and some of our Brazilian players know a bit more.

In Japan there a 5000 Corinthians fans but more than 90,000 Chelsea fans. Worldwide we are 140m, I do not have a clue why that does matter.

Lol, never heard the term "blue chickens" before. Keep calm, we are surely not afraid as our televisions have told us we are the best.

You got a really interesting history btw. the club Corinthians Sao paulo is a hommage to the Corinthians from London, a club proud of its working class origin that toured through Brazil for caritative matches, winning all 6 of them. The locals were so impressed by their down-to earth values, they emulated it. That is probably also why you are participating at a merely caritative Fifa tournament in the farmers and crafters state japan...for nonprofit purposes only, of course. Cya in Yokohama, dawg.

Haha, Japan's a crafter and farmer state? Sony, canon, etc beg to differ. Not that I'm a big fan or anything, that just seemed really strange to me.

However, If our players take it seriously this should be a walk in the park. The whole tournament. Weak brazilian fullbacks against the likes of Hazard, Moses, Mata, or Oscar (depending on where they play?). If our defense performs like they have been in the last two games we'll easily be fine. Oscar, Ramires, and Luiz have all played and beaten Corinthians with weaker sides behind them. We're not even matching a purely European side against Corinthians. We have some of the cream of Brazil, combined with some of Europe's best young talent. Though if we slack off and get cocky, I would hate to think what Brazilian technique rapid strikes could do to us.

Also, compared to Brazilian defenses, playing Chelsea would feel like playing Stoke to those unused to EPL teams. Stoke with much more skill, pace, and technique. Cahill and Ivanovic can bully the Suarez, Rooney, and even Crouch. Good luck though, should be a good and refreshing two games.

Anyone know if the match is going to be on sky or bbc/itv? I can't find it anywhere that showing it in the uk. I'm pretty certain when Liverpool played in the tournament a few years ago the matches were on bbc

If we win this we'll most likely face Corinthians in the final.

Are they THAT good or do people overrate them?

According to Oscar , they have some players who are Brazilian First Team Regulars like Paulinho , so we'll have to be careful

If we win this we'll most likely face Corinthians in the final.

Are they THAT good or do people overrate them?

I've watched them a few times in the Brazilian league and they definitely not an average side. I thought their defense was unexpectedly good for a Brazilian team. They also have some players excellent players like Paulinho who plays for the NT.

So, it definitely will be a tough match and we'll need to take it seriously if we want to win.

Is funny that you dont know anything about soccer out of your "capsule" (europe)

In america we know more about soccer, and trust me, Monterrey is not that easy as you may think, you will see it, there is a soccer player called "jesus Corona"(19 years old) who is playing really good

you think you are the best team in the world....please show it next thrusday

You might spend "Thrusday" improving your punctuation.

Anyone know if the match is going to be on sky or bbc/itv? I can't find it anywhere that showing it in the uk. I'm pretty certain when Liverpool played in the tournament a few years ago the matches were on bbc

It's on BBC HD. Note, not BBC One HD.

BBC HD is another channel entirely. As I only found out myself.

You didn't look too hard then :)

BBC are showing 3 matches, 2 semi finals and the Final :)

All around 10:30 am kick off (semis) not sure about final was only worried about not booking any meetings during that time :)