Fernando Torres

Harsh to label a man a rat for speaking the truth.

Must I show you his Liverpool / 2008 Euro Compilation? Fernando was the best number 9 in the world at that time. His pace along with his composure in front of net was unstoppable at the time.

Must I show you his Liverpool / 2008 Euro Compilation? Fernando was the best number 9 in the world at that time. His pace along with his composure in front of net was unstoppable at the time.

I've seen both of those and better, I saw the games. I don't need to see them again. What I saw led me to form a very negative opinion about Fernando Torres.

This isn't hindsight talking, I was saying Torres is an extremely ordinary player while he was scoring those goals at Liverpool. I'm unsurprised about the emerging evidence that people in the game, like his Liverpool teammates, recognised the truth about Fernando's failings. I accept that your opinion differs, and of course you are right to challenge any point of view that you disagree with but I really think those Liverpool numbers were a blip, a blip which misled our club into making a disastrous commitment to Torres.

Stats count, of course they do, but none of us believe that they tell the whole story. The rest of Nando's tale was accurately understood by Casillas, by Danny Murphy, and by the unnamed Liverpool players whose negative opinion of Torres Murphy has since told us about. I have no doubt that many others who have not yet chosen to make their opinion public understood it; I only wish that Carlo had too.

• 2 weeks later...

Torres was never better than Villa or Eto'o during any point in his career.

He was better than Villa for large parts IMO, but Eto'o is one of the best CF's this generation.

How was he better than Eto'o let alone Villa during that time frame.

Look, I know everyone loves a good bit of Torres bashing, but to not accept that he was that damn good in the 07-10 period of time is hilarious.

If you'd actually watched him play during that time then you would never be saying this so all I can quote at you is stats and advise you to go and watch some PL games from that time period and see just how influential he was. (Also note that he did all this playing for a Liverpool team who, while they were the best they have been since the 80s, were still not that good compared to Eto'o who played for a Barcelona team that scored for fun). They were all very good in that time period, obviously, but Torres and Villa were better than Eto'o and a debate could be made for which was the better as they were both incredible but personally i'd plump for Torres being better as he did it in a higher quality league.

Torres:

In the 07-08 season he scored 33 goals in all competitions (at just about a goal every 90 minutes he played).

In the Summer of 08 he led Spain to the Euro 2008 title while scoring the winning (and only) goal in the final.

In the 08-09 season he was unfortunately injured a fair bit but still scored 17 goals in all competitions.

In the 09-10 season he scored 22 goals in all competitions.

Total of 72 goals in 114 games over those 3 seasons. [That's a goal every 1.58 games].

Eto'o:

Scored 18 goals in 28 games in the 07-08 season.

Scored 36 goals in 52 games in the 08-09 season.

Scored 16 goals in 48 games in the 09-10 season.

Total of 70 goals in 128 games over those 3 seasons (for a far better team in a much easier league). [That's a goal every 1.83 games].

Villa:

Scored 22 goals in 40 games in the 07-08 season.

Scored 31 goals in 43 games in the 08-09 season.

Scored 28 goals in 45 games in the 09-10 season.

Total of 81 goals in 128 games over those 3 seasons. [That's a goal every 1.58 games].

So as you can see stats-wise Torres scored as many goals per game as Villa and they were both markedly better than Eto'o (who was playing for a ridiculously good team).

Remember Torres didn't even take penalties in that time period. He was absolutely better than Torres & Villa.

https://youtu.be/DU0NlQEIOxg

Just ridiculous

LOOOL Villa was always top dog for Spain. Torres was bang average at Euro 2008, he scored in the final but Villa was always better then him, no doubt about that at all,

Look, I know everyone loves a good bit of Torres bashing, but to not accept that he was that damn good in the 07-10 period of time is hilarious.

If you'd actually watched him play during that time then you would never be saying this so all I can quote at you is stats and advise you to go and watch some PL games from that time period and see just how influential he was. (Also note that he did all this playing for a Liverpool team who, while they were the best they have been since the 80s, were still not that good compared to Eto'o who played for a Barcelona team that scored for fun). They were all very good in that time period, obviously, but Torres and Villa were better than Eto'o and a debate could be made for which was the better as they were both incredible but personally i'd plump for Torres being better as he did it in a higher quality league.

Torres:

In the 07-08 season he scored 33 goals in all competitions (at just about a goal every 90 minutes he played).

In the Summer of 08 he led Spain to the Euro 2008 title while scoring the winning (and only) goal in the final.

In the 08-09 season he was unfortunately injured a fair bit but still scored 17 goals in all competitions.

In the 09-10 season he scored 22 goals in all competitions.

Total of 72 goals in 114 games over those 3 seasons. [That's a goal every 1.58 games].

Eto'o:

Scored 18 goals in 28 games in the 07-08 season.

Scored 36 goals in 52 games in the 08-09 season.

Scored 16 goals in 48 games in the 09-10 season.

Total of 70 goals in 128 games over those 3 seasons (for a far better team in a much easier league). [That's a goal every 1.83 games].

Villa:

Scored 22 goals in 40 games in the 07-08 season.

Scored 31 goals in 43 games in the 08-09 season.

Scored 28 goals in 45 games in the 09-10 season.

Total of 81 goals in 128 games over those 3 seasons. [That's a goal every 1.58 games].

So as you can see stats-wise Torres scored as many goals per game as Villa and they were both markedly better than Eto'o (who was playing for a ridiculously good team).

Where did I say he wasn't good? Eto'o and Villa were way better off the ball than Torres, better link up play, as well as overall team contribution, (main reason why Villa was the main man for Spain before Torres.) Eto'o never had the luxury of a team being built around him unlike Toress with Messi and Dinho being the main components. Can't forget that Eto'o is clutch as fuck as well and scored against almost every top club in Europe.

Mind you, before you accuse those of not watching a particular player play in dispute of your own opinion, I've been watching Torres since he captained Atletico at 19.