West Brom v Chelsea

Jase

Some stats and match information to throw in here...

1. West Brom have the 3rd best home defensive record in the Premier League (so far) this season, conceding just 4 in 6 home games. Only Stoke and Sunderland have conceded less - 1 and 3 respectively.

2. West Brom have the 2nd best home record in the Premier League (so far) this season, picking up 15 points from a possible 18. Only Man City have picked up more points at home - 16.

3. Chelsea currently have the meanest defence away from home in the Premier League, conceding just 4 goals in 5 away matches.

4. Chelsea are the 2nd best away team in the Premier League (so far) this season, picking up 11 points from a possible 15. Only Man United have picked up more points - 15.

5. West Brom have scored only 5 goals in 11 Premier League games against Chelsea.

6. West Brom ended a run of 13 consecutive defeats by Chelsea in all competitions when they beat them 1-0 in March 2012.

7. West Brom are averaging fewer crosses per game in open play (13) than any other side.

And interestingly, the Guardian's match squad sheet listed Luiz, Mata and Oscar all as doubtful due to fatigue. As for West Brom, McAuley (hamstring), Morrison (knock), Mulumbu (hamstring), Reid (hamstring) are all doubtful for Steve Clarke.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anything other then win should be question, im tired of this late goals destroying our position on the table. oh and torres needs to come strong im tired of his fanboys telling me his runs help the team, yuh but his goal less streak is holding us back

There are still Torres fanboys?

Luiz, Mata and Oscar all as doubtful due to fatigue.

In terms of Mata and Oscar, good. They need a rest badly. Hopefully this means Moses, Hazard and Marin starting. As for Luiz, he needs to dropped for a while because he has been pretty poor as of late.

In terms of Mata and Oscar, good. They need a rest badly. Hopefully this means Moses, Hazard and Marin starting. As for Luiz, he needs to dropped for a while because he has been pretty poor as of late.

We should just play Luiz with Terry or Ivanovic alongside him. Whenever he plays with Cahill, it's like both of them become shite defenders and we start leaking goals.

Notice how the defence in the last two games has been markedly better with no Luiz there. Luiz should sit out a couple of games and should know that his place in the team is not a given. As for the amigos, I'd bring in Moses for one of the amigos. that's all. maybe use Marin late on for Hazard and keep people fresh for the Juve trip

Notice how the defence in the last two games has been markedly better with no Luiz there. Luiz should sit out a couple of games and should know that his place in the team is not a given. As for the amigos, I'd bring in Moses for one of the amigos. that's all. maybe use Marin late on for Hazard and keep people fresh for the Juve trip

Notice how our defence was even better when Terry - Luiz were paired at the start of the season.

Notice how our defence was even better when Terry - Luiz were paired at the start of the season.

It's been better in the past 2 league games, now that could be because we haven't played 2 very difficult teams, but we've made less mistakes which is what has been killing us so far.

It's been better in the past 2 league games, now that could be because we haven't played 2 very difficult teams, but we've made less mistakes which is what has been killing us so far.

You're right it's quite ambiguous, but my point is that you can't say the defence is better because Luiz doesn't played.

@Sheva., I can name many games where we have been good with Luiz and a shambles without ie the respective matches against Arsenal. TBF he has been below par in recent weeks and if Alex was still here he would probably be on the bench by now.

nah. Wigan, Stoke, QPR are hardly a challenge. Luiz-Terry did not play against Newcastle, our first tough game and made errors against Arsenal - dropped way too deep for the Gervinho goal.

Swansea away and Liverpool home are far tougher and Ivan-Cahill and Terry-Iva, Cahill-Ivan were very solid. we defended as a unit

I can name many games where we have been good with Luiz and a shambles without ie the respective matches against Arsenal. TBF he has been below par in recent weeks and if Alex was still here he would probably be on the bench by now.

Luiz just needs discipline, someone experienced with a cool head. He tends to do better with a 'leader' playing alongside him. eg. Luisao at Benfica, Thiago Silva for the Brazil NT, Terry at Chelsea...

But i agree that Luiz has been below par of recent times.

You're right it's quite ambiguous, but my point is that you can't say the defence is better because Luiz doesn't played.

I think you can safely make that assumption because Luiz recently has been making some silly errors. The inclusion of Azpi also made a difference as he rarely lets anyone past him.

@Sheva., I can name many games where we have been good with Luiz and a shambles without ie the respective matches against Arsenal. TBF he has been below par in recent weeks and if Alex was still here he would probably be on the bench by now.

This is true, the big CL games last season for example, Luiz starred every time he played. It's just this season where he has been trying to do too much, just want him to be as disciplined as he was when RDM took over last season.

He played like that for Brazil against Colombia, so there's still hope.