Wigan vs Chelsea

BlueLion.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I'm very confident here, i think we can win this one 4-0 and have an impressive victory.

We can still get fucked on the counter attack though, i think it's wise to move Ramires into the double pivot instead of Lampard. And put Lampard CAM, let Mata come on later on in the game. I think we can badly wound the Wigan defence.

Bingo but Ramires instead of Mikel in midfield. its time to go dynamic. Mikel and Essien to be brought on when we want to hold onto a lead, not when we want to breakdown a stubborn defence

I think we should start with a double pivot of Mikel and Ramires, because IMO this is the best against counter-attacking team. And if Marin is fit, of course he should play.

---------------Čech---------------

Ivan----Cahill---Terry-----Cole

---------Mikel---Ramires--------

---Marin-----Mata-----Hazard--

--------------Torres---------------

Bingo but Ramires instead of Mikel in midfield. its time to go dynamic. Mikel and Essien to be brought on when we want to hold onto a lead, not when we want to breakdown a stubborn defence

We have no choice, Ramires has really good defensive duties, unfortunately for him he will have to stay back a lot more.

That is just way too offensive and top heavy. Midfield will get overrun and leaving Mikel only to protect the back 4 is a disaster. Can already see what would happen when he is left alone there...

More possession and control of the game. To be honest most often its us losing the ball because of stuipid mistakes that usually create most difficulties in the defense. I think we usually manage to defend quite well when the other team is starting their attack deep from their own side.

And this commonly used sentance "the midfield will get overrun"... I dont quite buy that. Why would that midfield be overrun anymore than with Mikel and lampard in the double pivot? Lamps isnt a natural DM anyway and usually drift up often.

Plus we'd be more offensive and probably score more goals.

I don't necessarily think there is anything majorly wrong with the double pivot of Mikel and Lampard. Problem is the approach. In certain games, both have often run and press too high up the pitch like headless chickens without regards to the amount of space they left behind. If one press, the other has to be stay back and protect the defence. Otherwise, the opposition will just have a clear run on our back 4.

Oh but there IS a huge problem, even if you fail to see it.

1. Lampard isnt a DM and shouldnt play in the double pivot. Period.

2. Our build-up play is horrible. We havent got a DM who is creative and that is creating difficulties linking the midfield and defense with the offense.

Oh but there IS a huge problem, even if you fail to see it.

1. Lampard isnt a DM and shouldnt play in the double pivot. Period.

Yes but as I said, it all depends on the approach. Last season, we pretty much went defensive with the 4-2-3-1 under RDM and the double pivot of Mikel and Lampard were discipline enough and it worked. Now, we try to be more offensive and expansive in our style of play and we're getting found out in that position.

2. Our build-up play is horrible. We havent got a DM who is creative and that is creating difficulties linking the midfield and defense with the offense.

Which is why it is much preferrable to have one defensive midfielder along with one deep lying playmaker in the double pivot that can keep the ball, control the game and dictate the tempo. Lampard can do that but only to a certain extent while the likes of Meireles, Essien, Ramires are all useless in that aspect.