Oscar

themightyblue

Its €25m thats £19m which is a little more than we paid for Lukaku. Is he a starter? Oscar is class but saying he will walk into our squad ahead of Lampard is farcical.

yeah

actually lampard will play more defensive role

while oscar play in the attacking midfielder position

I can't believe that some people on here have suddenly started to leave Lampard out of the starting XI. Villas Boas and the vast majority of Chelsea fans were not considering him a starter last season either, but look at his performances once Di Matteo took over.

There's no doubt that he will be the leader in midfield next season too, along with Mata and Hazard. Oscar won't take his place.

Firstly I've looked at him quite a bit since his link started materialising into a likely move and I really like this signing. I think most of us are of the belief his long term place will be Lampard's.

This for me may well be the most important piece of the puzzle in regards to our team over the next few seasons. We have been fortunate to have enjoyed Lampard's extraordinary goalscoring exploits from midfield season after season. I always felt a couple of years ago that when we looked for Lampard's replacement we may need to go down a different route. Yes we could have looked at another goalscoring midfielder, Sigurdsson for example, but we could never guarantee the same output that we have got from Lampard. The team in the past has been built around Lampard and Drogba to get the best out of them because they were the two players who produced more often then not.

Now looking to the future, we have some serious creative talent further up the pitch, particularly in Mata and Hazard who are likely to be our 'main men' over the next few years. Add to that Torres and Sturridge being completely different style players to Drogba, who will prefer the ball on the deck being brought further up the pitch before being released, allowing them to make runs, as opposed to a more direct approach to Drogba. All of this will require somebody to pull the strings in the middle of the pitch, which is what Oscar will do. He seems to be a player with a 'less flash, more substance' style which I think will be truly appreciated at Chelsea.

Modric could have been brought as an immediate fix but we do not need an immediate fix. The transition must be gradual (AVB last season anyone?), and having a younger player come in will hopefully allow him to come in under slightly lower expectations to a Modric and slowly blend in, whilst still having Lampard whilst Oscar adapts.

I also believe moving on that as Oscar makes the transition to first choice, Ramires will continue to play in the team to give the side a greater balance. Yes it's lovely having all these attacking players playing in front of Mikel, but in theory it is too risky.

Love how you go out for 4 hours, come back and we have signed him, when reports were saying it will be after the olympics. Great news for the future of the club. Shouldn't take Lamaprds place but will learn alot from him and also still get lots of minutes this season, with Lampard not always playing the full 90 and the length of this years season. Think we need to start loaning/ getting rid of a few players not in our plans, as our midfield looks pretty bloated. But hey, never can have too many options. :)

If we need any sort of winger, it should be one who can get to the byline and cross 9 out of 10 times rather than Hulk who prefers to come in and shoot more than pick someone out.

Marin can do that on the right imo. He has a great cross on him. Mata can do that on the left if required too.

Our attacking 3 are very versatile, I wouldn't play Marin in the centre but the other 2 can play all 3 imo.

Mata - Hazard - Marin (crosses galore)

Marin - Hazard - Mata (shots galore)

Hazard - Mata - Marin (bit of both)

A much different transfer window to 12 months ago .although I do like the age profile of our signings this last 3 windows.

this one is the most exciting for years . the spending makes me think new sponsorship deals will manage to defeat Platini