Oscar

themightyblue

I don't see a problem with that tbh, considering Torres (of all people) is our 'main man' this season. :rolleyes:

True but I'd rather a winger similar to Antonio Valencia, as in he gets at least 10 assists a season. Marin could be but I'm unsure if he will be a regular or just an impact player. Mata and Hazard are capable but they are probably greater at scoring goals than setting them up. Mata had a lot of assists last season but tbh we only looked to him for creativity so someone like Valencia would be a perfect fit on the right wing. Just a pity every winger wants to come inside these days!

True but I'd rather a winger similar to Antonio Valencia, as in he gets at least 10 assists a season. Marin could be but I'm unsure if he will be a regular or just an impact player. Mata and Hazard are capable but they are probably greater at scoring goals than setting them up. Mata had a lot of assists last season but tbh we only looked to him for creativity so someone like Valencia would be a perfect fit on the right wing. Just a pity every winger wants to come inside these days!

Exactly. Jesus Navas and Antonio Valencia are the best natural wingers in world football.

I will probably get slatted for this post, but anyways:

I just hope that his price tag does not mean that we pull out of the market and play him on the wing instead. We've had more than enough converted wingers in recent years, it's about time we realize it's not working!

I get that we have to make squad signings but the price and timing (i.e. in a time when we have more pressing needs on the wings and at RB) are far from ideal. Tbh, I'm very disappointed we're back to paying these crazy inflated prices after great signings such as Mata, Oriol, Cahill, Marin...etc

I hope Oscar proves me wrong, but till now, all I've seen is yet another over-hyped Brazilian youngster.

Exactly. Jesus Navas and Antonio Valencia are the best natural wingers in world football.

If Ramires was naturally better technically he could be a natural winger. Offers great defensive work on the right as well, if he could get his touch and crossing much better than what it is now then he'd be a good option there too. Maybe we should look to pip Arsenal to Santi Cazorla? Isn't he not able to play as a winger and had decent assist stats for Valencia and Malaga over the last few years? Only problem for me is the team is vastly unbalanced and without Ramires or Kalou on the right/left offering help by tracking back and doing some dirty work we could be exposed.

I will probably get slatted for this post, but anyways:

I just hope that his price tag does not mean that we pull out of the market and play him on the wing instead. We've had more than enough converted wingers in recent years, it's about time we realize it's not working!

I get that we have to make squad signings but the price and timing (i.e. in a time when we have more pressing needs on the wings and at RB) are far from ideal. Tbh, I'm very disappointed we're back to paying these crazy inflated prices after great signings such as Mata, Oriol, Cahill, Marin...etc

I hope Oscar proves me wrong, but till now, all I've seen is yet another over-hyped Brazilian youngster.

Why do you feel the price is inflated? £25m or 25m euros (£19m) isn't that much for one of the top Brazilian players who will probably be their no.10 past the next World Cup.

Also we have Hazard, Marin and even Mata to play out wide; whereas we don't really have anyone of Oscars style, he appears to be an alternative to Modric and will play deeper then Hazard and Mata do. Hazard and Mata are creative wingers who can play centrally, but compared to the best in that position like Ozil and Fabregas I think they are lacking in that position.

People shouldn't go crazy, he's not starter material yet.

Welcome Oscar.

Oscar is definitely starter material. It may take him time to adapt to our system but I really don't think it will, he starts for Brazil who have immense talent in abundance for most positions available. He may be young but plays with the head of a cultured professional , equipped to fit into a side that was 'lacking playmakers' quite nicely.

I'm not a fan of all these crazy inflated prices but why is it always a problem when it's about us? Man Utd bought Anderson for €30 mil and back then paying that amount of money for a young and unproven player was considered even crazier, but that wasn't a outrage?

And some advise, stop caring about the prices. If Chelsea is interested, the price goes up by 10-15 mil.

He's Brazil's n.10, i'm sure he's ready.

He's the 10 of the Olympic team. And if it wasn't for the form and fitness issues Ganso has been going through, he probably wouldn't have been a starter.

And it's not like Brazil are part of the elite anymore, we're not '02 anymore.

That wasn't even my point though. These starting line-ups people are throwing around with Oscar in it.. they're expecting too much of the guy. Fans shouldn't cry if he doesn't immediately make an impact.

Why do you feel the price is inflated? £25m or 25m euros (£19m) isn't that much for one of the top Brazilian players who will probably be their no.10 past the next World Cup.

Also we have Hazard, Marin and even Mata to play out wide; whereas we don't really have anyone of Oscars style, he appears to be an alternative to Modric and will play deeper then Hazard and Mata do. Hazard and Mata are creative wingers who can play centrally, but compared to the best in that position like Ozil and Fabregas I think they are lacking in that position.

The price is inflated because he is 20 years old and still has a lot to prove. Yes he is Brazil's #10 but for a Brazil side that Heskey would probably be a starter in; after all what world-class options do Brazil have at the #10 position? None that I can think of. Besides we've bought Cahill and Marin for 7m who are two established players whom we needed.

Another point is I don't think Oscar is starter material yet and I don't how he can even fit in our current formation. He can't play in the double pivot because he can't be trusted defensively (I've explained this point thoroughly in this thread a few days ago) and we already have two world-class players fighting for that spot behind the striker. We all know that Mata is a disaster on the wing judging by numerous matches last season, and Hazard has made it clear on many occasions that he wants to play centrally.

I'm not saying that the boy hasn't got potential, but, unless we loan him out, this move could ruin the potential that he has.