Oscar

themightyblue

Do we even have a number ten in this team? Not as in players the way the midfield interchanges and shifts position can we equally say we have a designated number ten role?

Oscar provides balance and work ethic which I've previously commended.

How is it void? That 'covers the most distance' stat can be pretty misleading - like he has that stat because he goes forward a lot, stays in defensive position a lot OR both? Even if it's the latter two, it doesn't mean he has good workrate defensively or high stamina. Not saying Fabregas is one but you could have a headless chicken running up and down the pitch in the entire game, doing nothing, and say 'oh he has strong workrate etc...' even when that is not the case.

I doubt that'll be the case as long as Mourinho is still our manager. Granted the partnership of Mikel and Matic might not be the best but we have played Fabregas in front of those two before and he's still required to press, even if it has been slightly non-existent.

Fabregas does press though. He's nowhere near as bad as you're trying to make him seem. He just wouldn't have to as heavily if he has Koke and Matic behind him. Mikel almost adds nothing to our press game either so I don't really get your analogy. It's not really comparable.

Do we even have a number ten in this team? Not as in players the way the midfield interchanges and shifts position can we equally say we have a designated number ten role?

Oscar provides balance and work ethic which I've previously commended.

It was interesting to see on the weekend that right from kick off Oscar didn't seem to be anywhere near as far forward as usual. Quite often he would be positioned the deepest in defence out of all of Remy, Hazard, Willian, Ramires and even Matic. As a consequence he was nowhere near as prominent in our attacking moves.

Maybe one aspect of this could be the 300 minutes in 8 days that he's played taking its toll, because at times he looked like he simply couldn't muster the energy to run forward and attack. He may have made a conscious decision that it would be better to not be able to run forward and attack than to not be able to run back and defend because we know Jose's philosophy on everyone defending. However, I believe there was a definite instruction from Jose for Oscar to play deeper on Saturday right from the off.

with rambo coming back to fitness, Jose could try Hazard-cesc-Willian with ramires and matic behind them, however, Cesc has been one of the best players in the league because he has sufficient time to spray the ball around...

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, however, I have my doubts on Cesc as the n10 under Mourinho.

Fabregas does press though. He's nowhere near as bad as you're trying to make him seem. He just wouldn't have to as heavily if he has Koke and Matic behind him. Mikel almost adds nothing to our press game either so I don't really get your analogy. It's not really comparable.

Never said Fabregas doesn't press but compare to Oscar and Willian at their best, he's nowhere near as good as them especially in the manner that Mourinho wants from the No.10. Also, I mentioned Mikel (with Matic) previously because Mourinho has always played the two behind Fabregas as the DM and allowed the latter to play a freer role attacking wise but defensive wise, we have tended to suffer a bit from that.

Cesc's preferred role is as a CM. As others have said, Fab looks great because he has time on the ball which the deeper role affords him without getting bullied by the defenders. In the #10 he simply has no space to work with the ball. Of course, he still looks great at #10 but something tells me that when Cuadrado comes Oscar will become 2nd choice and Willian will start there, where he can give more end product. Never know, though,

It was interesting to see on the weekend that right from kick off Oscar didn't seem to be anywhere near as far forward as usual. Quite often he would be positioned the deepest in defence out of all of Remy, Hazard, Willian, Ramires and even Matic. As a consequence he was nowhere near as prominent in our attacking moves.

Maybe one aspect of this could be the 300 minutes in 8 days that he's played taking its toll, because at times he looked like he simply couldn't muster the energy to run forward and attack. He may have made a conscious decision that it would be better to not be able to run forward and attack than to not be able to run back and defend because we know Jose's philosophy on everyone defending. However, I believe there was a definite instruction from Jose for Oscar to play deeper on Saturday right from the off.

Fair point about Oscar being instructed to play deeper against City...but I don't think that was the case. He generally goes missing in big games/physical opposition and this match was no different :D

Fair point about Oscar being instructed to play deeper against City...but I don't think that was the case. He generally goes missing in big games/physical opposition and this match was no different :D

Indeed he does, I think we can all agree on that. I'm not for one minute excusing his performance, I'm just saying that through either fatigue, lack of workrate, an instruction from the manager, or a combination of these, Oscar wasn't playing as far forward as usual against City.

Indeed he does, I think we can all agree on that. I'm not for one minute excusing his performance, I'm just saying that through either fatigue, lack of workrate, an instruction from the manager, or a combination of these, Oscar wasn't playing as far forward as usual against City.

Easily verifiable: if he keeps on starting games the manager is happy with what he's doing which is obviously what has been instructed.

Same with the new deal - money is the clearest evidence we can use in football. Some ppl ignore it but I pay attention to it. Both pay and valuation.

The fact he got a new deal recently means he's here for the long haul.

I hope Willian takes his position.

Going into this final part of the season this is what JM will be looking at, for me. Who can play that 10 role and bring the utmost confidence to this team playing there.

Oscar is having a tough time for me, whilst Willian hasn't been pulling up trees.......For me Mourinho has a tough choice and Willian edges it.