Oscar

themightyblue

He has been terrible since Mata left, he does not create chances for the striker or even for other teammates, im really strugglin to justify his place in the team, what is he bringin to the team that Willian is not?? I would actually play Schurrle more instead of him in the next couple of weeks.

He has sucked at creating chances the whole season, not just since Mata left, smh.

He has sucked at creating chances the whole season, not just since Mata left, smh.

He was our best player this season until Hazard decided to wake up...

He is indeed inconsistent, but only someone who hasnt watched our games would post he has been terrible or sucked at creating chances!

He was our best player this season until Hazard decided to wake up...

He is indeed inconsistent, but only someone who hasnt watched our games would post he has been terrible or sucked at creating chances!

What does being the best player have to do with creating chances?

Oscar averages 1,4 key passes per game in the PL this season, compared to Hazard's 2,5, Lampard's 1,3 and Ramires 1,2 just to put Oscar's numbers into perspective. As for creating chances, Oscar is just barely better than Ramires which is rather shocking...

That is pretty self-explanatory.

First, how can you define 'key passes'? It is not like anyone is a sacred santity to be able to determine what will fit in the stat and what wont. Second, how does 'key passes' ultimately mean who is creating more chances than whom? Assists and/or dangerous passes are not the only way to create goal opportuniies.

Oscar is not the flashy kind of player who oozes the little kids, but anyone who actually understands the game can appreciate what he does on the pitch and sense his greatness. One only needs a technical eye to be able to see it, tbh.

You simply need to pay attention to see his movement and ability to drag defenders are beyond superb, which facilitates runs for other players (like Hazard). His short 1-2s are also very good and usually result in someone having a bit of free space to continue the play. His inversions are amazing, he is usually the only player in our team who uses them intelligently. He also have an espectacular mid/long range shot (the best in our current starting XI), something that has proven to be of vital importance when facing defensive teams. Etc...

And that is because he is not even 100% confortable with the Premier League (pitch size, type of grass, pace, physicality, etc) to dribble like he can. Many times you see him just stoping in front of a defender and passing to the side, while if he was playing for Brazil he would try to run past the opposition (as you can see in the video of the previous page).

He will never be the Hazard/Neymar type of player, but he is the player who actually does the dirty work so the flashy ones can shine!

Oscar received way too little credit for the many positive things he does for our attack. It is absurd...

I dont think you even believe whay you just posted in that particular sentence!

Then there's no reason to bring up a point about who was our best player if we're talking about creating chances...

Well, key passes are passes that directly lead to a shot so there is some logic behind it. Off-ball movement is important, yes but if you're praising one single player for his movement then 10 other players have to be praised for their movement, too, as every single one of them is doing their part (occupying a specific part of the pitch or making a run) before a goal scoring opportunity is created. Key passes on the other hand give us the "evidence" as to who is picking the final pass aka directly creating the shot of a teammate.

And again I ask, what's the point in bringing up arguments like Oscar not being a flashy player, having a good shot, still adjusting to the PL etc when the talk is about creating chances? I'm no Oscar "hater" or whatever, I appreciate and like his play but there's some flaws in his game and things things he's not good at (yet!) and directly creating chances is one of them.

Obviously, his stats could be (and are probably) flawed due to his immense workrate which has had an effect on his fitness resulting in a lack of concentration in the final third, especially when he had Lampard and Ramires behind him and had to cover for them. But whether this assumption is true or not is something we don't really know, but that being said it's definitely gonna be interesting to see how Oscar will work as our no. 10 with a proper double pivot sitting behind him.

He still only has 1 PL assist?

2 in the league (Eto'o vs Liverpool and Willian vs Southampton) and 5 in all competitions (other 3 came in the Champions League - Ramires's 2nd goal vs Steaua, Torres's 2nd goal vs Schalke and Ba vs Steaua)

2 in the league (Eto'o vs Liverpool and Willian vs Southampton) and 5 in all competitions (other 3 came in the Champions League - Ramires's 2nd goal vs Steaua, Torres's 2nd goal vs Schalke and Ba vs Steaua)

Thanks mate for the stats and I have to say i dont think those numbers are near to beeing good enough, mata our last number 10 had way more assists the last two seasons. I really like oscar and think he can become better than mata but I just have the feeling since mou has started coaching oscar he is trying to do to much and score himself instead of passing. And for me those are not qualities a number 10 should have. I hope he cant get more assists and prove himself as a elite passer like mata was!

No matter how different #10 Oscar is, he is still #10. We cant expect from Terry or Azpi to make assists, its what #10 has to do. And its not just about assists, but also about creating chances and when we played WhU or west brom it was evident that Oscar is not yet enough creative.

Besides when people constantly remind that Oscar is not typical #10, just like Gotze, Muller, Isco arent; well their ending product is miles ahead of Oscar and particulary Willian aswell. Both Oscar and Willian are great workers, but they are nothing realy special in final third.

Dont know why people here jump on Oscar that much, if he wants to be our #10, he will have to improve and prove much more. He is good, but as we could say he knows all trades, but masters none. His passing is bad for #10 to be honest. He scores goal here and there but when he has off game, he offers nothing in attack. Creativity and vision are another two things he lacks for top #10. But he is young and will improve I hope.

My post is not about mata just about the amount of assists oscar has! So please read before posting crap!

You compared his number of assists to Mata's so you kind of did compare him with Mata unless I'm posting "crap".

Isco has 8 goals and 4 assists this season.

Gotze has 9 goals and 5 assists.

Oscar has 7 goals and 5 assists.

Although I am not a fan of stats, you lot who say Oscar is garbage, should clearly see he isn't based on those numbers.

Isco has 8 goals and 4 assists this season.

Gotze has 9 goals and 5 assists.

Oscar has 7 goals and 5 assists.

Love how you purposely left out starts made to suit your agenda.

Isco is massively overrated in my opinion, Oscar is miles better. In terms of creativity though he's only behind the likes of Coutinho, Gotze, KDB, Holtby, Eriksen & a handful of others.

He's in poor form at the moment but he's being underrated by a few on here. The only outright better Attacking Midfielder than him in the same age group is Gotze in my opinion. Vision & creativity isn't one of his strong suits but he's clearly gifted in other areas.