Oscar

themightyblue

Lucas Moura is overrated for the price PSG paid. I'm glad we didn't get Modric for 40 million...he's not worth more than 25-30 million.

Can't wait to see Oscar in a few seasons time. Just imagine what our attacking trio could do once they all understand each others style of play!

Yeah those trio are going to cause some real problems for other teams. Oscars volley was so zidane-like in technique.

Oscar’s the new Ossie

Oscar_1617197a.jpg

By TERRY VENABLES

CHELSEA fans have been waiting years for a new Ossie to come along and he has finally arrived.

Of course, there will only be one real Ossie.

The late great Peter Osgood will always take pride of place in Blues’ hearts everywhere. But Oscar has shown he has the potential to be his modern-day equivalent.

The Brazilian midfielder may have been born on a different continent in another era and play a different position but he has plenty in common with the undisputed King of Stamford Bridge.

Not least his talent, work-rate and the fact he does not look like a footballer.

I remember when I first saw Ossie. I was a player at Chelsea and he turned up at training for a trial after his Uncle Bob had written to the club asking them to take a look at him.

As this rangy teenager walked over, we all thought “Who’s this kid?” Then he got on the ball.

We all looked at each other as if to say: “Blimey, where has he been hiding?”

He was unbelievable. You could tell from that first day he was going to be a star, even if his physique and looks said otherwise.

It is the same with Oscar.

With his wiry frame and youthful looks, he would not get the part of playing a footballer in a Hollywood film. But while looks can deceive, talent can not.

And Oscar, like Osgood, has it in abundance. That was highlighted by the way he took his goal against Shakhtar on Wednesday.

Less talented stars would have taken several touches to despatch the Donetsk keeper’s poor headed clearance into the net from 40 yards. Oscar needed just one. And the way he opened his body and swung his foot across the ball to do so was very Osgood-esque.

I am sure my old pal looking down from above would have appreciated that piece of technique.

I remember seeing him score a fantastic individual effort at Turf Moor when Burnley were in their pomp.

He must have beaten their whole defence before sticking the ball in the net with customary aplomb.

And remember pitches back then were not the bowling greens they are now. But Ossie had fantastic control and technique, like Oscar has now. And both are not afraid to do the dirty work.

Sometimes you find that showmen only want to perform in the spotlight.

But Oscar, despite his attacking flair, does not mind working backstage as well. He is willing to track back and tuck in for the benefit of the team.

Ossie was the same. Yes he loved the tricks and flicks and champagne finishes, but he could go ugly.

In Chelsea’s infamous battles with Leeds, he would often be the Blues’ torchbearer. If a battle had to be won, Ossie would be the first into enemy territory.

I’m not saying Oscar is a Chopper Harris. But he is not a prima donna, even if sometimes his footwork and skills are as sweet as a ballerina.

The way he and Eden Hazard have supported Juan Mata this season is a joy to behold. Mata was named the Premier League’s Player of the Month for October last week. He’s been outstanding for Chelsea in recent weeks.

And Hazard continues to shine despite tailing off slightly following his blistering start to the campaign.

But for me it is Oscar who is the most intriguing and arguably most exciting prospect. The 21-year-old from Sao Paulo has as much potential as he does ability.

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich must be delighted. He always wanted his team to win the Champions League and play with style.

Having doggedly fought their way to glory in Munich in May, Roberto Di Matteo’s men are now performing with panache.

So much so that, despite their recent home defeat to Manchester United, you cannot see them losing at Liverpool tomorrow.

They now have the capacity to be exciting and entertaining as well as efficient.

Credit for that must go to RDM and his players.

The word “legend” is much over-used these days.

Osgood deserved to wear the tag. And if Oscar continues to progress, it may not be long before he is mentioned in the same breath.

Until Moura comes to the EPL and within a few weeks slots himself into one of the leagues top teams as one of the first names on the teamsheet you simply cannot compare the two as, AT THIS POINT, Moura is unproven.

Oscar is much better than Lucas. End of story...

You can ask any Brazilian sports journalist, they will say it is Neymar > Oscar > Lucas.

Both come from Sao Paulo`s Academy and Oscar was always the one treated as the pure gem, the next Kaka, etc.

Also, Oscar wears the famous Brazilian n10 jersey, Lucas is not even in the starting lineup.

They are all gret, but Oscar is better by a mile. Not only the skills make a good footballer. Oscar has the talent, the IQ and the character!