The London 2012 Olympics

Hutcho

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I like the competitions themselves I really can't stand this national pride thing that is going on everytime. Luckily Austria and Bosnia suck at most of the summer events so at least I won't be confrontated with that stuff directly. But still... it's one thing to support the athletes but rooting for a nation is something that I personally dismiss.

Agreed, some sports become far too jingoistic.

Looking forward to time trials,all the sprinting contests, swimming, the football of course. Some people say olympic football isn´t that interesting. I find it very enjoyable, watching all these young lads playing who most of I´ve never seen playing before together.

As for the opening event, I missed the first 30 minutes and came in for Mr Bean and the following. Don´t know what to make of it, it feeled like a very low level celebration of pop culture. The lighting of the flame was a nice idea though, having it young athletes doing rather than a widely anticipated VIP.

beijing absolutely smashed it and i doubt anyone will surpass that for a long time but its not that bad to be honest.

Beijing ceremony = Masses of slave-like synchronised soulless robot people/clones

London ceremony = Extravagant celebration of culture & history

Danny Boyle = Genius.

Beijing ceremony = Masses of slave-like synchronised soulless robot people/clones

London ceremony = Extravagant celebration of culture & history

Danny Boyle = Genius.

I enjoyed the London opening ceremony but that's not a fair view on both, in particular Beijing which was undoubtedly the most impressive opening ever to an Olympics.

i`m kinda surprised North Korea was allowed to come by their dictator.out of fear of them defecting to the free world. with so many things that we have such as the internet and mobile phones etc.. being banned in North Korea. i can imagine them returning to North Korea and telling folks about how what they have been told is evil is actually quite nice.

I still liked it, i was simply saying beijing was more visually stunning. Ours had more culture and depth to it, and had more meaning, as the guy above me said ech ceremony is its own, and is going to be different from the previous years.

Did not miss much from this boring ceremony!

^ The industrial revolution scene was awe inspiring, the musical accompaniment and the way it progressed. Incredible stuff really, only an uncultured tasteless individual like Justin wouldn't be able to comprehend a display like that.

The Queen jumping out of a helicopter with James Bond and the Mr Bean scene were great too. The cauldron itself was also first class.

tumblr_m7vfh244iQ1rn2vss.gif

The Queen jumped off a heli!!! That's waht I call a unique opening ceremony. The only boring but inevitable part was the presentation of the countries, but later the fire was impressive. By the way, will it stay in the centre of the stadium? ( I suppose no, but ... )

+ I read many angry british comments about the fact it was french first in the presentation and I find this annoyance kinda funny :D