Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

I thought Reus played on the left no? Lamela is a decent shout but from what I've heard hes similar to Schurrle as in he'll probably shoot more than pass. Still think we should of nabbed him before Roma did from River Plate though, even though perhaps 18 million euros for a player playing in Argentina is a bit steep but look at what hes done in Serie A. Zemens tactics and philosophy though has been a big part of his development, would he flourish in a more counter attacking 4-2-3-1 in comparison to a gun ho attacking 4-3-3 ?

Reus has played a few games on the right but at BVB he has played a lot on the left. I think it's more down to Kuba Blaszczykowski being on the right. He played well on the right at Monchengladbach.

and yeah, Lamela is like a Right Forward at Roma. there will be a greater importance of defensive tracking back here. in that sense, Schurrle is a good deal. Someone who will willingly track back and put a good shift in. Just that one of Schurrle and Hazard have to play out of position

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it ridiculous? The decision to loan out de Bruyne is a sensible one. If Mourinho doesn't fancy him as a player, what is the point him staying merely in a squad player capacity, whilst he can go out on loan and secure his place in the 2014 World Cup? It makes perfect sense to me - you allow de Bruyne to mature and improve by playing week in, week out, without hampering his potential. Furthermore, we still own the player, meaning if he has a brilliant season - and dare I say it, a brilliant World Cup - he would either command a first team place at Chelsea or an inflated price tag, should The Special One make the decision to sell him.

I would love to see Kevin given a go but it is pretty clear that - if this speculation is indeed true, which a lot of people are banking on - that Mourinho has his eye elsewhere. If that's the case, I'll go with his judgement, because he's a bit of a better manager than I am.

As such last reports from the belgian papers are an explicit rebuttal of the rumours, where his agent explicitly claims there is nothing decided yet.

There was a question on his availibility but all They do now is await further comments from the future manager. They do insist to stop the rumours that this decision comes swiftly.

So .... Its up to Mou indeed.

How is it ridiculous? The decision to loan out de Bruyne is a sensible one. If Mourinho doesn't fancy him as a player, what is the point him staying merely in a squad player capacity, whilst he can go out on loan and secure his place in the 2014 World Cup? It makes perfect sense to me - you allow de Bruyne to mature and improve by playing week in, week out, without hampering his potential. Furthermore, we still own the player, meaning if he has a brilliant season - and dare I say it, a brilliant World Cup - he would either command a first team place at Chelsea or an inflated price tag, should The Special One make the decision to sell him.

I would love to see Kevin given a go but it is pretty clear that - if this speculation is indeed true, which a lot of people are banking on - that Mourinho has his eye elsewhere. If that's the case, I'll go with his judgement, because he's a bit of a better manager than I am.

I agree with what you're saying.. I don't think another loan would be bad per se, buying Schurrle for 20mill + KDB on loan would be a ridiculous deal is what I'm trying to say.

Reus has played a few games on the right but at BVB he has played a lot on the left. I think it's more down to Kuba Blaszczykowski being on the right. He played well on the right at Monchengladbach.

and yeah, Lamela is like a Right Forward at Roma. there will be a greater importance of defensive tracking back here. in that sense, Schurrle is a good deal. Someone who will willingly track back and put a good shift in. Just that one of Schurrle and Hazard have to play out of position

Well Hazard and Oscar both play out of position already basically but it will give us better options I suppose. I can see Schurrle being used on the right more than Hazard though.

I agree with what you're saying.. I don't think another loan would be bad per se, buying Schurrle for 20mill + KDB on loan would be a ridiculous deal is what I'm trying to say.

I see your point: it is a lot of money. BUT as you say, they are different players who function in different positions primarily - I'd be quite excited to see them both in the team the season after next.

As such last reportin the belgian papers are an explicit rebuttal of the rumours, where his agent explicitly claims there is nothing decided yet.

There was a question on his availibility but all They do now is await further comments from the future manager. They do insist to stop the rumours that this decision comes swiftly.

So .... Its up to Mou indeed.

Yup. I would rather offload the deadwood like Essien/Mikel and keep KDB and sign Schurrle. Would certainly reduce the wage bill very slightly, and more importantly the average age. That would also fit in with the club's obvious transfer policy to beat FFP - invest a lot of money in semi-established young-ish talent in the 19-23 age range - it means you can get 5/6 years out of each player, and thus make your money's worth.

Not sure if serious....

He plays on the right for Belgium, he played on the right for Genk before switching to LW and then CM and his single best performance this year for Werder was also at RW.

Sure his best position is probably central but its arguably Hazards too and as we've seen these past 8/9 months, he's just as effective out wide.

Dead serious. His passing is his biggest strength unlike Hazard who's a dribbling demigod. Sure, he's played RW but it's not at all comparable to Hazard who meets the physical demands to play on the wing. de Bruyne can cope with the Belgian league's physicality does not mean he can step up and give Premier League full-backs a hard time.

Dead serious. His passing is his biggest strength unlike Hazard who's a dribbling demigod. Sure, he's played RW but it's not at all comparable to Hazard who meets the physical demands to play on the wing. de Bruyne can cope with the Belgian league's physicality does not mean he can step up and give Premier League full-backs a hard time.

Ow but he can. Before Mario Been came in his final year at Genk he was a full blooded right winger. Personally, because of his crosses and cutting inside it is his best spot (now hes transforming into a CM- thanks to that same Mario Been).

Also, just check his goals and assists - almost all of them from the right flank.

He would ROCK our right flank.

Well Hazard and Oscar both play out of position already basically but it will give us better options I suppose. I can see Schurrle being used on the right more than Hazard though.

Hopefully, no more of Oscar on the wing

Eden Hazard is one of our best players and he should naturally play on his best position, the left wing. His right wing game is good but when he can be so dangerous on the left, he should play there. It depends on whether Schurrle can adapt to the right side role

You don't pay £20m for a 'work rate' lol. May as well just sign a free-agent who likes to run loads if that's the argument now for signing him.

Ow but he can. Before Mario Been came in his final year at Genk he was a full blooded right winger. Personally, because of his crosses and cutting inside it is his best spot (now hes transforming into a CM- thanks to that same Mario Been).

Also, just check his goals and assists - almost all of them from the right flank.

He would ROCK our right flank.

I don't think he can keep up that level of physicality in the Premier League. On the wing, he's constantly up against his opposition full back whereas in the centre he's afforded more space to pick out passes. Also, I'd take Schurrle over KDB (wing) all day simply because a trio of Hazard-Mata-KDB would just get destroyed by effective counter attacking teams like Norwich, Villa etc

Why the fuck can't we just sign Muller instead?

Not even joking. If you people want work rate Muller is your guy. He has the work rate and absolutely everything else. "Bayern wouldn't sell" - well every club has their price, as do the players.

Hazard - Mata - Muller.

Wow. I'd jizz myself every game.

I'd rather go find the next Muller who actually plays on the right than sign Schurrle. Or chuck £40m at Bayern and sign Muller himself.

I used to be completely up for this move but I am firmly against it now.

I don't think he can keep up that level of physicality in the Premier League. On the wing, he's constantly up against his opposition full back whereas in the centre he's afforded more space to pick out passes. Also, I'd take Schurrle over KDB (wing) all day simply because a trio of Hazard-Mata-KDB would just get destroyed by effective counter attacking teams like Norwich, Villa etc

Yes .... Because bundesliga and the teams the NT plays against with him in that role (Croztia) are feeble pussies :Goober:

Nah mate, that is conjecture. He is a very firm workhorse (most ran miles also in thr Bundesliga this year).

Schrulle is certainly a good player one of the standout players for bayer but buying him for 20mill and playing him just because he is a hard worker just doesnt makes sense its just like playing ramires in wing ..

he does have good shooting ability and pace but also have average first touch and combination & link up play which was noticable when bayer played under Robin Dutt’s philosophy of passing in very tight space last season.... so still have mixed felling about this transfer....

From what I've read so far from people who actually watch him playing, he is very average and he's unconsistent.

I really dont get why our board are so obssesive about him since last summer or so ?

Yes .... Because bundesliga and the teams the NT plays against with him in that role (Croztia) are feeble pussies :Goober:

Nah mate, that is conjecture. He is a very firm workhorse (most ran miles also in thr Bundesliga this year).

I disagree. Workhorse and dribblers are different. His situation is not comparable to Hazard

Talking of KDB alone, CAM is easily his best position imo.' He's played in this position at Genk' 'he's played there at Werder' is not a validation of his ability in said position. I can see how you disagree with my statement that he won't succeed on the wing in the PL but the crux of the matter was about his best position

PS: Belgium National team :wub:

I disagree. Workhorse and dribblers are different. His situation is not comparable to Hazard

Talking of KDB alone, CAM is easily his best position imo.' He's played in this position at Genk' 'he's played there at Werder' is not a validation of his ability in said position. I can see how you disagree with my statement that he won't succeed on the wing in the PL but the crux of the matter was about his best position

PS: Belgium National team :wub:

Well,

1. Factual he IS a workhorse - not a tackler but a workhorse.

2. His best position has always been on the wing. It is not untill recently he is evolving as a cm/amc.

3. His tenacity, physicality and the fact he has been decisive in the 4 of the last 5 games (Hazard in 1) cannot be ignored. These are qualifying games, not only friendlies.

So yes .... The validation of his ability on the wing is 'empirical'. Your statement that he cannot cut it on the wing in the EPL is 'conjecture'. If there is a position he has not validated enough ... It is CM.

Ps: if you love the belgian NT - he was by far the best player this season - on the flank. :Goober: