David Luiz

the wes

In the stats article I wrote is the clear evidence of how immense this lad is. Immense!

He was absolutely superb and if that isn't a world-class performance I don't what else is!

from the article:

• Luiz pro-activeness: 10 times Luiz anticipated his opponents, intercepting the ball and regaining possession for Chelsea.
  • No player contributed more positively to the match than David Luiz. The Brazilian had 25 highlighted contributions, only two of which negatively. The center back contributed with solid defensive skills, good passes to link up with the attack, but the stat that pops among his contributions is the amount of times he moved from his expected position, and anticipated his opponents, intercepting the ball and regaining possession for Chelsea. He did it ten times during the match.

I kinda liked him going forward got some good goals but it's obvious Jose has told him to stay at the back, ah we'll still got Ivan and Terry hehe

He rarely goes forward for Brazil.

I reckon it's all about strategy; in some games, especially at home against a team playing 11 men behind the ball, David will get the freedom to venture forward which can be, as it has in the past, a surprise factor. It's an invaluable asset to have a player with such characteristic, who can dynamically switch roles during a match.

It's up to him, manager, and teammates to synchronize that movement. Honestly, ppl make it out to be harder than it actually is.

Also, people, esp commentators, confuse his (occasional) bad positioning with his ability (and freedom) to go forward - completely different things. He can and should work on his positioning, as it is his weakness. The going forward part is more about instruction and strategy (from manager) than anything else.

Update: I've just watched the CL match against Steaua and you can clearly see in the 26" when David makes a run and stays up, Ivanovic then becomes the CB. When David gets back to his position, Iva moves wide again. This is a movement that Azpi for example cannot do. It could be yet another reason Iva is Jose's choice as a RB. BTW, he'd be mine as well.

I kinda liked him going forward got some good goals but it's obvious Jose has told him to stay at the back, ah we'll still got Ivan and Terry hehe

I think his attacking abilities are as over-rated as his defending abilities are under-rated.

He's technical ability offers something different in defense, as he can run up field with the ball without having someone pacifically tracking him and effectively offering a spare man in attack, but when played in midfield more often than not he will lose the ball if pressed by the opposition. I don't think he will score many this season however, i think he will get 1 or 2 at most from open play (free kicks and penalties might boost his overall total mind).

He's a defender first and foremost, and a very good one and that, anything he offers in attack in bonus.

One of the most stupid things people say about Luiz is that his problem playing for Chelsea is that he "likes to go forward".

He barely goes forward. His problem playing for Chelsea is that he tends to anticipate the opponent move, so he usually goes out of position. Its pretty common to see he attempting to intercept a pass and leaving his position, or leaving his spot to mark a opponent outside the box (a opponent that iwas alone because no DM was there to mark him, like in the infamous Everton's goal.

Its pretty easy to solve this problem.