David Luiz

the wes

Fullbacks like to get foward - David Luiz likes to get forward. Why hasn't anyone even considered playing him at RB or LB? Personally I believe that Luiz would be worse in the 'double pivot' (oh, how I despise that term) because he would bomb forward all the time just like Lamps. Just like Lamps people would just complain.

That only becomes a problem if he lingers in and around the box once moving the ball on (what Lampard does). Once he's moved the ball on, he could simply start moving back towards his defensive position - something Lampard doesn't do.

On Oscar -

'I take him every day to my house because he has no family over here,' Luiz explained.

'I know how hard it is when you don't speak the language. If you go to a restaurant for example and you don't know what food you're ordering it's difficult.'

'I try to show Oscar and help Chelsea too.'

I thought David Luiz and Cole were our best defenders against Juve. He tackled well, didn't give away too many fouls, strong at intercepting and didn't make any major error. JT's the one who should be criticized for his defending.

D. Luiz should work on keeping his passing simple for the most though, takes too many unnecessary risks.

But again, a strong defensive performance.

Terry and Luiz are prob my favorite CB pairing in the world right now... Composed + creative, slow + pacey, better in the air + better on the ball, cover + make forward runs.

A team cannot be successful in a single-elimination competition without a good solid back line, especially when such team use a low defensive line and don't keep possession. Chelsea won the CL being constantly harassed during long stretches of time by high quality attackers (the very best in the world). Chelsea's defense (Terry, Luiz, Cahill, Ivanovic, and Cole) were simply the best in the world in the last CL; otherwise, Chelsea wouldn't have won it.

The difference between last season and today is in the middle. The middle isn't as tight and the mechanics are still off. That's RDM problem to solve though.

I think people here are just not used to David's style of play. Teams like Brazil have been employing these type of ball-playing defenders, with great success, for a very long time. Inter have done the same with Lucio also winning CL in the process.

I just can't understand how someone can point to a forward run as a problem. It's about mechanics... Either the manager allows the player to make forward runs and has cover prepared for such occasion, or he doesn't allow them. Whether Luiz "likes" to make them is irrelevant as he will do as the manager says. Obviously though, both RDM and before him AVB, see value in them, especially since Chelsea are trying to employ a more possession style with higher defense line. David is great playing in high defense line because of his quickness.

You've posted this twice and twice you have failed to provide a source...I don't believe he is on that much cash...yet.

The Telegraph. Check this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9560579/Chelsea-defender-David-Luiz-blasted-on-day-he-signs-five-year-contract-worth-30m-with-Stamford-Bridge-club.html

And it's 120k a week. Nevertheless, happy for the lad. He should leave the free kicks to other people though, I'm starting to get annoyed. :D

The Telegraph. Check this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9560579/Chelsea-defender-David-Luiz-blasted-on-day-he-signs-five-year-contract-worth-30m-with-Stamford-Bridge-club.html

And it's 120k a week. Nevertheless, happy for the lad. He should leave the free kicks to other people though, I'm starting to get annoyed. :D

120k? No wonder the only way players leave this club is due to their contract expiring.