David Luiz

the wes

I agree that that's what Chelsea want, I just think its misguided. I think Luiz would be a fantastic player with Barcelona where defenders can get forward more. In England, he's always going to be inconsistent.

Agreed.

However, with Luiz signing and the type of players they've got, Chelsea are signaling a drastic change in style. I am not that crazy about such a drastic shift from a *winning* style to a possession/flair considering only a single side in a very long while have been able to successfully play like that (hint: not arsenal).

Why all that said, Luiz showed a lot of composure in the CL last season. Perhaps it is just a matter of coaching and young age? he is still 25 yo, which is very young for a defender.

BTW, we did concede 2 goals and looked weak at the back without Luiz against reading.

David Luiz@DavidLuiz_4

Sorry #geezers! I take my responsibility about the game. I promise change this situation soon! #CFC #KTBFFH

Good to see the players admitting their mistakes from yesterday but if they really want to redeem themselves, prove it on the pitch against QPR.

Agreed.

However, with Luiz signing and the type of players they've got, Chelsea are signaling a drastic change in style. I am not that crazy about such a drastic shift from a *winning* style to a possession/flair considering only a single side in a very long while have been able to successfully play like that (hint: not arsenal).

Why all that said, Luiz showed a lot of composure in the CL last season. Perhaps it is just a matter of coaching and young age? he is still 25 yo, which is very young for a defender.

BTW, we did concede 2 goals and looked weak at the back without Luiz against reading.

I'm not saying Luiz is at fault for all defensive problems by any stretch. He even plays very well at times and there's way too much good player/bad player stuff on here anyway ("good players" are not responsible for anything wrong and are responsible for everything that goes well and vice versa). However, if it were me and I got the sort of rumoured offer for Luiz (25-30M) I'd sell him in a second and go after a more conservative, elite CB. (Someone like Chiellini or Hummels) .but I am not in charge so it's not going to happen.

Luiz had a poor night, much like the majority of the team, but the problems stemmed from the double pivot. I said this last night, some people don't understand that the 4-2-3-1 is heavily reliant on a boxed shape between your two deep centre midfielders and your centre backs. There was no shape last night whatsoever, mainly due to Lampard being positionally suspect and letting his attacking instincts get the better of him. Mikel was often left isolated with Atletico attacking fast in numbers.

Watch the 2nd goal more closely and you'll see Atletico basically walk through Mikel and Lampard with short, quick passing. Any player playing between the lines last night would've had a field day against those two. The first job of the players in the double pivot is to protect the defense, then look to supply the attacking players. We have all these attacking players, but if you don't have a solid foundation to build these attacks from then it's inevitable you will struggle.

Spot on! Too much space and too deep forward both pivot players. How would you protect the defense in case of counters when you are too deep forward?

That Lampard-Mikel midfield left the defence badly exposed against At Mad's quick tempo passing. Lampard cannot start these games - he doesn't have the legs or the discipline to stick to his role in this new responsibility that's been entrusted on him.

He said after the Atletico game he was going to fix the situation and fair play to him, he played very well in his next game for us.

Now it's just about finding that level of consistency.

Agree. Had a great game. He even surprisingly kept things simple at times during the game!

As you said, the question now is whether he can keep it up with this kind of performance. That's going to be his challenge right now.