David Luiz

the wes

What you're saying is true but it's not what I meant. For instance, look at Terry's thread when he has a bad game. Hardly any noise. When he has a good game, he gets praised.

Pundits also praise him, his good performance is mentioned in articles about the game. It's the same with the defenders of other teams. But it's the complete opposite with David Luiz. The little noise when he does well is fine but all the attention, not just Chelsea fans, when he does wrong is what gets to me. He doesn't even make mistakes more often than Terry really.

But I feel like I'm repeating myself over and over again so I'll just leave it at that.

That's the power of the media in action mate. They kept on planting seeds on how "calamitous" Geezer was that it's actually stuck to the minds of people who can't think for themselves.

I think some of that has to do with being a central defender. Defenders mostly get attention when they do something wrong because what they do right is hardly ever flashy. They hold their lines well, they intercept passes, they communicate well, they position themselves well, etc... Good defending is inherently dull. How many gifs are there of "Hummels marking has man closely" or something like that? It's sort of like when you don't notice the referee, you know he's done a good job.

People in Brazil tend to strongly disagree with that. I know most people only see Romario, Ronaldo, and whatever creative players is on display wearing the brazilian shirt, but being able to pick up a pass and overall technique is a must with every single player in the squad including the defenders. The defenders begin the attacks, especially when they are the ones intercepting the plays. Brazilians joke: what's the point of taking the ball from your opponent just to give it right back to him. A more skilled defender will also possess a large repertoire or plays and variations, which will simply make him more efficient at stopping more skilled forwarders.

At the same time, I have little respect to sideways passers. THe obvious safe passes have become "the correct way to play the game" when that's not what makes the most successful side of today tick. You take Messi off and Barca become much less. You remove Iniesta and Xavi and Barca become a dime a dozen. Barca are not strong because it can keep possession. Other sides can do that too (some even speak french). What makes Barca special is the final pass, the penetration, the assist and the attacking movement; that is quality to me and what differentiates the great from the good players.

Again, it's fine if you prefer one style over another. However, David does get a lot of criticism due to the style (rather than the quality) of his play, which is especially wrong because that's what Chelsea was after when they signed him. I've seen defenders half as tall as hummels, but twice as skilled, humiliate fantastic forwarders. Maldini for example was a fantastic player who could play in pretty much every defensive position. Baresi was pretty much the same, but far more skillful and less physical (smaller too). Brazil had a defender called Mauro Galvao who was just fantastic on the ball (just unlucky to play in a shitty side 1990).

@Bir CFC, it was not heroic; it was (defensive) quality. And not just Luiz, but the entire team.

• 3 weeks later...

Unpredictable and eccentric. Great adjectives for a foward, not for a defender.

Once again, David is criticized for the style of his play, rather than his performance.

He was Chelsea's best defender against United.

RVP beat Cahill twice, once for each goal. So much for being predictable...

However, can you really fault Cahill too much? RVP is one of the best strikers in the world and I feel Chelsea (read RDM) should've handled him differently: some f* cover?!

Was out of position for the second goal. Made a few other mistakes like the shoulder pass to a Utd player when he should of just headed the ball away and when he won the tackle on Rafael and tried some stupid skill instead of a simple pass. Slightly improvement though.

Was out of position for the second goal. Made a few other mistakes like the shoulder pass to a Utd player when he should of just headed the ball away and when he won the tackle on Rafael and tried some stupid skill instead of a simple pass. Slightly improvement though.

Do you know why he was out of position?! He ran to the left to cover Ashley who wasn't there. Simply incredible ppl are criticizing him today when Cahill had a far poorer game. Not that I think the poor performance had much to do with the defenders mind you.

Football is a bit more complicated than: if you concede, it's the defender's fault and if you don't score, it's the forwarder's fault. Defending is the responsibility of the entire team and so is attacking. If the defenders cannot pass the ball, for example, it hurts attacking.

Do you know why he was out of position?! He ran to the left to cover Ashley who wasn't there. Simply incredible ppl are criticizing him today when Cahill had a far poorer game. Not that I think the poor performance had much to do with the defenders mind you.

Football is a bit more complicated than: if you concede, it's the defender's fault and if you don't score, it's the forwarder's fault. Defending is the responsibility of the entire team and so is attacking. If the defenders cannot pass the ball, for example, it hurts attacking.

Agreed. As much as I love A. Cole, I have to say he had a bad start today. Just watch the game again and look how much space he's given Valencia at the beginning of the first half. Not only in the second goal. He got better in the game later, though.