FIFA Club World Cup

Will there be any live coverage? I remember in 2005 I saw Liverpool vs Sao Paulo on ITV... will it be the same again?

edit - it will be shown on the BBC in the UK.

http://sport-onthebo...hown-on-bbc-hd/

FOOTBALL: FIFA Club World Cup matches to be shown on BBC HD

fifa-club-world-cup-2012-on-bbc.png?w=450&h=303

The BBC has secured a last-minute deal to broadcast the semi-finals and the final of the 2012 FIFA Club World Cup in Japan on the BBC HD channel.

Featuring 2012 UEFA Champions League winners Chelsea, the annual tournament brings together the club champions from all six FIFA confederations.

No British broadcaster had picked up the rights to screen the tournament which has been shown on various networks in recent years, including Channel 5, British Eurosport and ESPN.

BBC Sport’s chief football commentator Guy Mowbray confirmed on Twitter:

“FIFA World Club Cup, live on BBC HD channel next Wed (semi), Thurs (Chelsea semi) & Sun (Final) mornings. Kick offs 10.30 am GMT #cfc”

Mowbray also confirmed that he will be commentating on the games for the BBC.

The competition began on Thursday, December 6, with Japanese side Sanfrecce Hiroshima beating Auckland City 1-0.

Hiroshima will now play Egypt’s Al-Ahly in the quarter-final stages, starting on December 9, where two other sides – Ulsan Hyundai (South Korea) and CF Monterrey (Mexico) – join the competition.

Despite the tournament being viewed by some as an inconvenience at a time when Rafael Benitez’s team are struggling for form in the Premier League, the Blues travel to Japan as one of the favourites to win the trophy.

They are arrive as semi-finalists and will play just two games.

In the semi-finals, Chelsea will play either Ulsan Hyundai and CF Monterrey on December 13. Depending on the outcome of this match, they will play in either the third place play-off or the final itself on Sunday, December 16.

Brazilian giants Corinthians, the other major side in the competition and likely to Chelsea’s closest rivals for the trophy, also enter at the semi-final stage, and will play either Al-Ahly or Hiroshima.

For the first time in a major FIFA-run competition, the 2012 Club World Cup will also feature the implementation of goal-line technology, allowing referees to determine categorically, if needed, whether the ball crosses the goal-line.

The BBC HD channel (available only to viewers with a high-definition television and the appropriate subscription/set-top box) will broadcast three games live, including both semi-finals and the final.

Coverage will also be simulcast on the BBC Sport website.

tv-schedule8.png?w=450&h=41&h=41

Wednesday 12th December Sanfrecce Hiroshima (JPN) or Al-Ahly SC (EGY) v Corinthians (BRA) Semi Final 1 | Kick-off: 10.30am LIVE: 10.15am-12.30pm - BBC HD / BBC Sport Online

Thursday 13th December Ulsan Hyundai (KOR) or CF Monterrey (MEX) v Chelsea (ENG) Semi Final 2 | Kick-off: 10.30am LIVE: 10.15am-12.30pm – BBC HD / BBC Sport Online

Sunday 16th December FIFA Club World Cup Final 2012 LIVE: 10.15am-12.30pm – BBC HD / BBC Sport Online

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seem to be a lot of people that thinks this is a bad time for us to go. I personally am really looking forward to this and I think a trophy could really give the players the confidence they need to hit the ground running in the Premier League when they get back.

Bring it home boys, bring it home!

Seem to be a lot of people that thinks this is a bad time for us to go. I personally am really looking forward to this and I think a trophy could really give the players the confidence they need to hit the ground running in the Premier League when they get back.

Bring it home boys, bring it home!

Personally I think this trophy is a bit pointless and would rather we continued the momentum with the scheduled game against Southampton rather than some FIFA jolly to Japan.

We won the big trophy in May. If we win this trophy, it'll be nice but I honestly don't think the upside is that massive although if someone can point to some financial data that suggests it is then I'll have to concede that point.

Personally I think this trophy is a bit pointless and would rather we continued the momentum with the scheduled game against Southampton rather than some FIFA jolly to Japan.

We won the big trophy in May. If we win this trophy, it'll be nice but I honestly don't think the upside is that massive although if someone can point to some financial data that suggests it is then I'll have to concede that point.

10m dollars.