FIFA Club World Cup

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh we might find it not 'that great' (love to win it though, it's a trophy!), but I bet the players are buzzin, going to japan for a week to play for a medal and trophy. Every player dreams of winning everything there is, I don't think even Torres has this medal.

We may never compete in this again. We waited so long to win that UCL, we now must, must, MUST win this. I'll be genuinely gutted if we don't.

I'm not quite as pessimistic about our future as you. I think the only reason we won't compete in this competition is due to it being abandoned due to lack of interest.

I'll be gutted if we lose this mainly because it might affect morale before the Leeds and Villa games.

The games will be aired live on the BBC..

Winning this trophy for the first time will top any other cup this season (bar the league).

It'd be a nice line in the history of the club, but I simply don't have the affinity for this trophy that I do for something like the FA Cup. That to me is a special day for all football fans.

Meh we might find it not 'that great' (love to win it though, it's a trophy!), but I bet the players are buzzin, going to japan for a week to play for a medal and trophy. Every player dreams of winning everything there is, I don't think even Torres has this medal.

Like I said, I appreciate there is an upside in winning it. Now that we're in it I hope we do bring it home. But to me it's like the Super Cup.

Fans know that, but I'm not so sure they care. We won the big one, this is something we're obliged to do because of that. I was talking about this with some guys who I go to the games with - going to Munich to see that was a dream come true. But none of us are going to Tokyo. We didn't even know exactly when the games were.

Personally I think this competition is much more important to the Brazilian teams and their fans because their own competitions don't have the prestige that our's do. The Champions League is the biggest competition in world club football - it has the best players, the best teams and a much better looking trophy. :blue scalf:

I'm not sure if the upside of use winning it is bigger than the downside of us travelling to Japan and losing it (of course if we win it I reserve the right to say it's the best thing ever).

Chelsea is not an English or European Team anymore, it is a Global Brand.

Club World Cup was first played in 1951. Back then (50s, 60s, 70s), Europe did not have the amount of foreign players it has now. Try making a UCL without Africans and South Americans, imagine the gap in quality. Brazilian League was far ahead of EPL (I know it wasnt called that), not even this made English fans valorize the competition. However, Italians and South Americans have culturally accepted the term "World Champions". Around Europe it hasnt cut.

I wont dissect the facts that made some countries like CWC or not, there are just too many.

The main thing is, the "weak league" argument only applies for fans that started following football in the 2000s. Young SA view it as a chance to play aginst the Best of Europe. This is how it is viewed right now. Brazil and Argentina have to make leagues without foreign help and without their own best players, it is viewed as an honour to face the UCL Champion.

How do you explain the lack of passion towards CWC in the 60s, 70s and 80s (when England was shit)? It simply hasnt clicked for Europe. It is hard to explain why, but it didnt work out. Italian, Spanish and German clubs used to do their preseasons in Brazil/Argentina because of the technical challenge they brought and SA Teams used to travel to Europe to play friendlies. So, with that in mind, it made a lot of sense to create a one-game tournament between the best of SA (Libertadores) and the best of Europe (UCL). Just to give an example of the long gone rivalry between the two continents, WC took turns in the host continent. When it first began, there were plausable reasons why some wanted to win and others didnt. Nowadays, it is a mere cultural aspect.

Once UEFA made the transition to the globalized, professional and highly marketable and profit football, the fun lost its magic and the difference became too big. The future will only degrade the CWC, UCL is the new big thing for quite sometime!

It will continue like this, there is no turning back.

Chelsea is not an English or European Team anymore, it is a Global Brand.

Chelsea is a London club. In fact it's a West London club first and foremost. I understand we're a global brand but please don't try and tell me we're not an English team. I can totally understand the branding of clubs in the modern world, but there is something distinctly West London about Chelsea Football Club. It's the foundation of our identity.

Now onto the larger point of the CWC - I can respect it's historical underpinnings, but for fans in this country and fans of Chelsea Football Club it's simply never held that much significance. For us Chelsea fans it's always been about the domestic and European competitions. In fact the view of this competition from most British fans is that it's a marketing exercise by FIFA and that the prestige associated really isn't that great.

Chelsea is a London club. In fact it's a West London club first and foremost. I understand we're a global brand but please don't try and tell me we're not an English team. I can totally understand the branding of clubs in the modern world, but there is something distinctly West London about Chelsea Football Club. It's the foundation of our identity.

Now onto the larger point of the CWC - I can respect it's historical underpinnings, but for fans in this country and fans of Chelsea Football Club it's simply never held that much significance. For us Chelsea fans it's always been about the domestic and European competitions. In fact the view of this competition from most British fans is that it's a marketing exercise by FIFA and that the prestige associated really isn't that great.

1. Chelsea is that big because of its abroad fans and owner. I get the identidy, but its die hard English fans need to learn and accept it. RM, Barcelona and Manure have a very good balance in this aspect. They still respect its true home fans, but they understand their abroad fans are what really brings them money and propaganda. They please them both. Why do you think SAF gave such an importance to CWC? Because he liked it or because he understood it was important for their Asian and SA fans?

2. Chelsea is getting a gigantic amount of media exposure here in Brazil, we have 190mi people who can become consumers of CFC. Do you still think the downside is greater?

3. Like I said, there are many reasons foward and against the competion, all of them are plausable. However, FIFA only took care of it in 2000. Again, a very young view of the tournament, it is a lot older than what you are making.

1. Chelsea is that big because of its abroad fans and owner. I get the identidy, but its die hard English fans need to learn and accept it. RM, Barcelona and Manure have a very good balance in this aspect. They still respect its true home fans, but they understand their abroad fans are what really brings them money and propaganda. They please them both. Why do you think SAF gave such an importance to CWC? Because he liked it or because he understood it was important for their Asian and SA fans?

2. Chelsea is getting a gigantic amount of media exposure here in Brazil, we have 190mi people who can become consumers of CFC. Do you still think the downside is greater?

3. Like I said, there are many reasons foward and against the competion, all of them are plausable. However, FIFA only took care of it in 2000. Again, a very young view of the tournament, it is a lot older than what you are making.

1. Chelsea exists because of it's fans who actually go to games, the ones who saved the club from extinction. Don't ever try and tell me the club isn't a London club when you have absolutely no idea what a London club looks, feels and smells like. Yes the brand is grown worldwide and we're grateful to all the kids who see the club on tv and buy the t-shirts but the club's heart and soul is distinctly West London.

2. It's cool that we're getting exposure in Brazil considering it's an emerging market but right now I care more about the 3 points we could get against Villa because we need CL football next year.

3. The cup has historical links but in it's current guise it's still very young and there is very little prestige associated with it. I'd have thought our CL win would've been much bigger for our brand than the CWC could be.

@The only place to be,

Its a chance to call our self's world champions, something Liverpool have never managed to do.

Maybe. But Barcelona were the best team in the world before their CWC win and Liverpool could've won the CWC and still wouldn't have been the best team on Merseyside. :D

Being Champions of Europe is more important than being Champions of the World. We beat the best team in the world last year over two legs in the Semis. In these semis we're playing a team 80% of fans probably hadn't heard of before last week.

1. Chelsea exists because of it's fans who actually go to games, the ones who saved the club from extinction. Don't ever try and tell me the club isn't a London club when you have absolutely no idea what a London club looks, feels and smells like. Yes the brand is grown worldwide and we're grateful to all the kids who see the club on tv and buy the t-shirts but the club's heart and soul is distinctly West London.

2. It's cool that we're getting exposure in Brazil considering it's an emerging market but right now I care more about the 3 points we could get against Villa because we need CL football next year.

3. The cup has historical links but in it's current guise it's still very young and there is very little prestige associated with it. I'd have thought our CL win would've been much bigger for our brand than the CWC could be.

1. I am not trying to dismiss that. I am only trying to make you aknowledge that Chelsea is in a way bigger phase of its existence and if it does not make a decent job it will get behind, because Manure has already learned how to recpect abroad fans without forgetting its history. This narrow minded English fans gets on my nerves (thanks there arent so many). Really? How do you assume I know nothing on how a London Club is? I have been to London twice (never for a game though) and I have firends living in London who are Chelsea fans. I dont get the experience but I have an idea of how it is like. You are not a better supporter because you live in London, I have way more respect for someone who begs for his father and agree to do whatever it takes for a trip to London and Munich or for someone who stays up until 3am just to watch the game.

2. You should thank them and respect their will to win this thing, because if it wasnt for them you wouldnt even be thinking of winning vs Villa.

3. No it is not bigger and not even Brazilians think it is bigger, they dont diminish CWC though. One does not need to have a connection with other. Both bring glory and should be treated fairly.

1. I am not trying to dismiss that. I am only trying to make you aknowledge that Chelsea is in a way bigger phase of its existence and if it does not make a decent job it will get behind, because Manure has already learned how to recpect abroad fans without forgetting its history. This narrow minded English fans gets on my nerves (thanks there arent so many). You are not a better supporter because you live in London, I have way more respect for someone who begs for his father and agree to do whatever it takes for a trip to London and Munich.

2. You should thank them and respect their will to win this thing, because if it wasnt for them you wouldnt even be thinking of winning vs Villa.

3. No it is not bigger and not even Brazilians think it is bigger, they dont diminish CWC though. One does not need to have a connection with other. Both bring glory and should be treated fairly.

1. I'm not going to get into a 'who's the bigger supporter' argument. What I'm explaining is that there's something distinct about this club because of where it's from. That's something that's hard to explain to someone who has never experienced it.

2. Oh ok. Thanks.

3. I really don't know how much 'glory' it brings to be honest. If we win, great.

1. I'm not going to get into a 'who's the bigger supporter' argument. What I'm explaining is that there's something distinct about this club because of where it's from. That's something that's hard to explain to someone who has never experienced it.

2. Oh ok. Thanks.

3. I really don't know how much 'glory' it brings to be honest. If we win, great.

It will be my last response, you have some sort of difficulty understanding what other members post and you never assume your wrong point of views (it already happened with Toronto).

1. FFS, I am not saying I know how it feels like or that we should forget, disrespect or do anything else with its real fans. Also, I am not saying it is not from West London, I am saying it is more than that (now). CFC has to please both their fans, you seem not to understand it. You think English supporters are better than abroad supporters because they experience the club closely and go to games. That is simply absurd, it is the lowest way to criticize someone who does not live in London.

2. Chelsea became a big team after Roman and its Global fame. Before that, you wouldnt be too bothered with the importance of winning to keep fighting for EPL tittle. Europa League would be quite an achivement. Again, this new reality is not better, it is simply different.

3. Can you recognise there are fans from different cultures, with different goals? Japanese and Brazilian fans are more than crazy to win this and it will bring glory, money and fans.

To me this is the 3rd most prestigious trophy in club football actually, behind the Champions League and Premier League.

I mean, really, how many clubs will get the chance to win this? And will we ever have the chance to win this again? (I do actually believe we'll win the CL again within the next decade somehow, but I'll leave that for another time.)

We have a chance to win the FA Cup, League Cup, CL, PL, etc. all every season - not this one.

Arsenal won't get this trophy, or Man City (well, probably not), Tottenham, West Ham etc.

Adding this and, less likely, the Europa League trophy to our collection would be great.

It will be my last response, you have some sort of difficulty understanding what other members post and you never assume your worng point of views (it already happened with Toronto).

1. FFS, I am not saying I know how it feels like or that we should forget, disrespect or do anything else with its real fans. Also, I am not saying it is not from West London, I am saying it is more than that (now). CFC has to please both their fans, you seem to not understand it. You think English supporters are better than abroad supporters because they experience the club closely and go to games. That is simply absurd, it is the lowest way to criticize someone who does not live in London.

2. Chelsea became a big team after Roman and its Global fame. Before that, you wouldnt be too bothered with the importance of winning to keep fighting for EPL tittle. Europa League would be quite an achivement. Again, this new reality is not better, it is simply different.

3. Can you recognise there are fans from different cultures, with different goals? Japanese and Brazilian fans are more than crazy to win this and it will bring glory, money and fans.

1. I will always prioritise those fans who have turned up to add their voices to the support for a number of years over those who simply turned up when we became 'a global brand'.

2. Before Roman, I don't think the Europa League actually existed (UEFA Cup still). We were already a Champions League team though and had some truly glorious nights. We are obviously bigger now, but this trophy still holds very little in the way of prestige in my opinion.

3. That's actually been my point, that this trophy probably means a lot more to non-British fans than the British fans. Whatever you may think of me, we're actually in agreement on this point. In fact I think that it's been my main point throughout. :blink:

A good place to end then. B)

To me this is the 3rd most prestigious trophy in club football actually, behind the Champions League and Premier League.

I'm not sure if I agree. Put it like this, if we win the FA Cup then I'd be expecting an open-top bus parade. If we win this i doubt we'll get the same. Not the most scientific measure I know.

1. I will always prioritise those fans who have turned up to add their voices to the support for a number of years over those who simply turned up when we became 'a global brand'.

2. Before Roman, I don't think the Europa League actually existed (UEFA Cup still). We were already a Champions League team though and had some truly glorious nights. We are obviously bigger now, but this trophy still holds very little in the way of prestige in my opinion.

3. That's actually been my point, that this trophy probably means a lot more to non-British fans than the British fans. Whatever you may think of me, we're actually in agreement on this point. In fact I think that it's been my main point throughout. :blink:

A good place to end then. B)

LOL, I know I said I wouldnt repply!

I actually agree with your post, lets choose wheter to prioritize London Fans or Abroad Fans, Chelsea must give a better thought towars its home grown fans. However, I think we dont have to prioritize one or the other, both can be equally happy. We are big enough to do it. Each has its quality: Home (identidy, stadium crowd, chants, etc) and Abroad (fame, money, recognition, etc). So, if a great portion of our foreign fans want CWC, lets go for it. I honestly dont think it hurts our sequence...

Fans know that, but I'm not so sure they care. We won the big one, this is something we're obliged to do because of that. I was talking about this with some guys who I go to the games with - going to Munich to see that was a dream come true. But none of us are going to Tokyo. We didn't even know exactly when the games were.

Personally I think this competition is much more important to the Brazilian teams and their fans because their own competitions don't have the prestige that our's do. The Champions League is the biggest competition in world club football - it has the best players, the best teams and a much better looking trophy. :blue scalf:

I'm not sure if the upside of use winning it is bigger than the downside of us travelling to Japan and losing it (of course if we win it I reserve the right to say it's the best thing ever).

I think you are 100% right about almost everything you said in this topic. This competition is much more important for brazilian clubs, and clubs from Mexico, Africa or Asia, because their competitions dont have the prestige that Premier League or Champions League have. For a brazilian club is really nice to play against players like Messi, Xavi and Iniesta, even in the past when brazilian clubs were great in terms of players, it was like "we are the poor guys, lets show these rich european clubs that we are the best in the world".

About the supporters, I also understand you. Well, its like for example NBA, I might watch it and like clubs like Boston, Knicks, Bulls, Lakers, buy stuff from these guys, but its really different from a guy that every week is the arena for years.

As much as like Chelsea, and watch 90% of the games of the season, I know its totally different experience from people like @zolayes, people that knows what being a London club is about, as you said.

Well, to other side I dont see the point of you coming here, a forum that is full of international fans to say: "I dont care about the competition, because I'm british, and british just dont care about it", because you know, Chelsea is a global brand, and it really doesnt matter if people from other countries dont know whats Chelsea's soul. Let these people enjoy the tournament, they know Champions League and Premier League is what really matters, they just want to have fun.

I think you are 100% right about almost everything you said in this topic. This competition is much more important for brazilian clubs, and clubs from Mexico, Africa or Asia, because their competitions dont have the prestige that Premier League or Champions League have. For a brazilian club is really nice to play against players like Messi, Xavi and Iniesta, even in the past when brazilian clubs were great in terms of players, it was like "we are the poor guys, lets show these rich european clubs that we are the best in the world".

About the supporters, I also understand you. Well, its like for example NBA, I might watch it and like clubs like Boston, Knicks, Bulls, Lakers, buy stuff from these guys, but its really different from a guy that every week is the arena for years.

As much as like Chelsea, and watch 90% of the games of the season, I know its totally different experience from people like @zolayes, people that knows what being a London club is about, as you said.

Well, to other side I dont see the point of you coming here, a forum that is full of international fans to say: "I dont care about the competition, because I'm british, and british just dont care about it", because you know, Chelsea is a global brand, and it really doesnt matter if people from other countries dont know whats Chelsea's soul. Let these people enjoy the tournament, they know Champions League and Premier League is what really matters, they just want to have fun.

I may not agree with everything you say, but you put it well.