Is FA cup worth all this?

I really wonder if the FA Cup is worth all this...we were not at full strength against New Castle nor against Liverpool and we have even mathematically ridiculed our chances of getting 4th. If we could have won these two games-which we definitely could have if we played to our full strength-a champions league place could have been guaranteed no matter of the result in Munich. I still believe and now rather hope that we win in Munich and really wonder how an FA Cup will really help us.

We could have got atleast 4 points form the two matches..

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure CFC have decided that Champions League is the holy grail and that league form became secondary after the draw to Tottenham. We don't control our own fate, we could've won all those games and still needed help to get 4th.

No reason to risk injury by playing our big players in games we can't control.

I dont think it was about FA Cup, it was about UCL.

Our situation in PL was really difficult, using our full strength against Newcastle and Liverpool wasnt a garantee that we would won both matches. So, I dont think would be a wise to not rest the players until the big day in Munich. Our best chance to get into next UCL was winning it this season.

FA Cup was a trophy after all, if we were going to use our full strenght in any match, that was the one.

Hindsight is 20/20. Suppose Mata had played and got injured in one of those two games? Di Matteo would have been slated for taking a stupid risk. Besides, I really don't think we would have got more than 2 points in those two matches even if fielded our best team. Maybe a draw against Newcastle and a loss at Anfield.

Risk was too high not to rest players for EPL games. Too many variables. With the cup games, the only variables are the team itself. We are a very good team (when we want to be).

Playing full strength sides would kinda mean that we are settling for fourth rather than going all out. I'd rather RDM risk the PL and go for full glory than settle for 4th.

To Be honest. I dont blame the players if they lack motivation in midweek league games with the glamorous champions league final in 10 days. Even if we had played the first team I am sure players will lack motivation. They will be cautious with tackles, and look to conserve their energy. It all happens subconciously even if they dont mean to. No body wants to get hurt or pull a muscle giving their 110% extra in a game which if won still would make us dependant on Newcastle and Spurs to falter.

Hell, even I wasnt motivated enough to watch this game, I dont blame the players if they lacked motivation for this.

It's not like we were not going to put out a full strength team for a final of a decent competition FA Cup is. If doing well in the final of CL means we must lose in PL couple of times I'm up for it. We have a great chance in Munich to write the greatest chapter in the history of the club and we've already done the fucking impossible so I wouldn't be surprised if we shocked the world again.

It's not going to be easy for Bayern also. They are going to feel the pressure as favorites and they'll feel even more pressure if things don't start going their way.

Whatever happens, I'm proud of the blues!

I really wonder if the FA Cup is worth all this...we were not at full strength against New Castle nor against Liverpool and we have even mathematically ridiculed our chances of getting 4th. If we could have won these two games-which we definitely could have if we played to our full strength-a champions league place could have been guaranteed no matter of the result in Munich. I still believe and now rather hope that we win in Munich and really wonder how an FA Cup will really help us.

We could have got atleast 4 points form the two matches..

The F A cup is the oldest Cup competition in World Football. It is a Trophy to be treasured , Only those who don't win it dont value it .

The tv companies have attempted to devalue it ,, ASK the players about it ...OR just watch the celebrations ... SEVEN UP for Chelsea

ans Ashley.

The F A cup is the oldest Cup competition in World Football. It is a Trophy to be treasured , Only those who don't win it dont value it .

The tv companies have attempted to devalue it ,, ASK the players about it ...OR just watch the celebrations ... SEVEN UP for Chelsea

ans Ashley.

Youre probably old enough to remember -it started on Friday night with Cup final Question of Sport -Saturday morning Cup final Its a Knockout, helicopter over the coaches, Gerald Sinstadt or Brian Moore on the coaches meeting the teams -it was one long drawn out event -now, as you say totally devalued.

Some things havent changed though - I have never , ever , ever seen a winning team member NOT put the cup lid on his head

Yes it is and so is the UCL which we are already going into without some of our best players. We need all of our "heavy weights" to be in top form. Not to mention our chances of finishing in the top four were minimal and far too dependent on other factors at this.

Youre probably old enough to remember -it started on Friday night with Cup final Question of Sport -Saturday morning Cup final Its a Knockout, helicopter over the coaches, Gerald Sinstadt or Brian Moore on the coaches meeting the teams -it was one long drawn out event -now, as you say totally devalued.

Some things havent changed though - I have never , ever , ever seen a winning team member NOT put the cup lid on his head

It was always the final game of the season and for years was the only game televised live. The first final I saw on TV was the Mathews final

in 1953 watched in a crowded room on a 12inch b/w tv ,,, People cheered when Blackpool got the winner .

Will never forget our wins over Leeds and Boro .

The players celebrations are as you say demonstrating what the players feel about it.

We will see come May 19th.

I am for one not getting my hopes up , so I am am trying to convince myself that the Europa won't be the end of us being a title challenging club. i for one would have not put all my eggs into the CL final , anything can happen in one game. But we must ask ourselves with a team that has had this much investment in the first place , should comfortably qualify for the CL , the AVB factor taken into account , was a mistake by the board and if we end up in the EL next year its there job to get us back to the top.

I would not panic at one season in the EL alot of players should stick around thinking we will get back in the CL the issue will come if we turn out like Liverpool and fail to qualify year after year. But just look at Spuds and Newcastle , Newcastle signed great players on a low budget who wanted to play for a team that hasn't had European football in years. With Spuds they were in the EL this year and look good to qualify for the CL.

I am old fashioned so its all about winning trophy's for me , its a pity on how much playing in the CL helps clubs in getting talent to join their teams. I think the main thing we need is a good manager and people around him to find the best players.

It is a competition and a victory in the finals means motivation, revenue and accolades. So it does make sense to use your full strength to get a positive result which can have a cascading effect on the moral of the team and gives us fans something to cheer about.