Barcelona vs Chelsea

termninja

To what end? We're not looking to attack. This is about sending out the most defensive side possible, right? Also Mata can't create much when we have 25% possession...

Alternatively to Bosingwa, we could try Bertrand on the left wing. But Bertrand would never have played in an occasion like this, in front of 90,000 passionate Barcelona fans. I think he'd be a bit rabbit-in-the-headlights.

Leave Rambo on the left wing, He did a great job on Wednesday, why change that?

And If Mata can't do much with 25% possesion, what is Kalou going to do in fairness? Mata is better at holding the ball and utilizing it then Kalou, and is capable of magic.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave Rambo on the left wing, He did a great job on Wednesday, why change that?

And If Mata can't do much with 25% possesion, what is Kalou going to do in fairness? Mata is better at holding the ball and utilizing it then Kalou, and is capable of magic.

Keep Mata fresh for games where we will need his attacking ability. Kalou to track back. Mata is too good a player for us to waste his energy by getting him to do nothing but run around.

Keep Mata fresh for games where we will need his attacking ability. Kalou to track back. Mata is too good a player for us to waste his energy by getting him to do nothing but run around.

I can't see us keeping Mata fresh for other games, Since this is probably our biggest game in the last 2 years. Kalou should come on if Mata isn't doing the business, but I think we really need to start Mata in this one.

Agreed, Mata won't have much of an influence on the night. People say he MUST play, he can change games. Yes but he needs possession of the ball, plus when we do have the ball we won't play Tiki Taka. We'll try to get it to Drogba as soon as possible. Mata didn't exaclty have a big influence on the first leg. Some will say where will the creativity and passing come from. Well look at our goal against Barca. It was Lampard who who gave the pass, And Ramires who made the run. We need to use a more defensive and physical player than Mata.

Agreed, Mata won't have much of an influence on the night. People say he MUST play, he can change games. Yes but he needs possession of the ball, plus when we do have the ball we won't play Tiki Taka. We'll try to get it to Drogba as soon as possible. Mata didn't exaclty have a big influence on the first leg. Some will say where will the creativity and passing come from. Well look at our goal against Barca. It was Lampard who who gave the pass, And Ramires who made the run. We need to use a more defensive and physical player than Mata.

Well in that case, you'd want to use Essien (defensive & physical) or Romeu (more defensive).

Kalou would be just as ineffective as Mata, probably worse. Mata has the ability to pull off something brilliant & if he does manage to get a touch of the ball, I'm sure he'll make a better decision than Kalou would ever be capable of.

Fuck that. He didn't show up against Chelsea and did worse against Real Madrid. People on TC always get stuck into Chelsea players after one bad game, so why the hell can't I make fun of Messi after two bad games?

Because even Messi played bad game, he was still the most dangerous man on the pitch in both games. Yes even in el classico. I saw him made a run and the whole defense move to the left giving xavi whole space for himself.

He is the only person who is capable of opening our defense, he ran at our defense make our defense have to scramble, collapsing and he attract not 1 not 2 but 6 players when he made his run.

My preferred lineup for this game would be-

Cech

Ivanovic Cahill Terry Cole

Romeu Mikel

Ramires Lampard Mata

Drogba

Mata would be more effective as a winger in this game because he will have the chance to successfully cross the ball in the box.Romeu starting would be quite unrealistic but perhaps he could be a decisive factor in this game and IMO is a great 5th defender.

Really hope el classico is a fierce one tonight. Full help for leather stuff. Could do with them getting the run around for a while. They won't but it would be nice.

Hey UC, I have to thank you for your idea! It was great :)

I'll try and stay sober enough to get home in time for the match.

Kalou would be just as ineffective as Mata, probably worse. Mata has the ability to pull off something brilliant & if he does manage to get a touch of the ball, I'm sure he'll make a better decision than Kalou would ever be capable of.

I was talking about deploying Kalou as a purely defensive player, to do nothing but chase and tackle and when he does get the ball, lay it off to a better player or dribble it as far as possible. Mata's a bit too good for that. Mata can start, if, say we get to the 80th minute at 0-0 we could sub him off for Kalou or a defender. If we're 1-0 up, get Mata off at the hour mark to save him up for the Newcastle game because Barcelona most likely won't score 3 in half an hour.

I was talking about deploying Kalou as a purely defensive player, to do nothing but chase and tackle and when he does get the ball, lay it off to a better player or dribble it as far as possible. Mata's a bit too good for that. Mata can start, if, say we get to the 80th minute at 0-0 we could sub him off for Kalou or a defender. If we're 1-0 up, get Mata off at the hour mark to save him up for the Newcastle game because Barcelona most likely won't score 3 in half an hour.

Ryan fuckin Bertand

Ryan fuckin Bertand

No, I don't think so. The biggest crowd he's faced were 60,000 at Emirates yesterday and that stadium has all the atmosphere of a funeral.

Put him in front of 90,000 Cules in a high pressure match and he'll take a while to get used to it, a while we can't afford. Not to mention he'll be targeted by the players and the fans because of his inexperience.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid here but I'm still cautious and perhaps even pessimistic about our chances on Tuesday despite Barcelona losing yesterday. I know their players maybe tired for such a flat performance last night but it just seems as though that they had given up on La Liga and was just conserving their energy for second leg. There just wasn't any urgency, pressing, tempo etc from them yesterday. It was the worst Barcelona performance I've seen in ages!