The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

I hope we get Barca in the quarter or semi finals, it'd be perfect if we bitch slapped them out of the champions league again.

Haha not a chance we could do that.

As much as I love Chelsea we could not hump Barca not with our ridiculously poor strikers

I don't think it's about how good they are. Barca and Real are said to be the best teams in the world, bar Bayern. I think many people that play them are just afraid which decreases their morale and performance. Barca and Real are still good teams, just not as good as many say they are in my opinion.

But you gotta admit no team in the world presses like Barca does. Neither does any team control the midfield play like them. Though I agree that lately they haven't been creating as much chances as they should.

But you gotta admit no team in the world presses like Barca does. Neither does any team control the midfield play like them.

Bayern. I would say Bayern punished them last season. Those two games, Bayern dominated them in every part of game.

Regardless, watch the replay and you'll see Kompany was sitting way too deep behind his other defenders. He eventually kept Messi, who was coming back from offside position, onside.

City hardly did much wrong TBF. They kept Barcelona out well and Barca hardly had any chances of note. They didn't play well and only started doing something because the other side went down to 10 men.

They played well, defended far better than I thought. Kompany was a monster.

But they only stayed in the game that long because they were conserved for long periods, they were always going to tire sooner or later, give away fouls and collect cards because they are chasing the ball, when they came out they were opened up.

And infact a lot of nice barca plays leading to close offside calls went mancitys way (rightfully of course). I was more impressed with them with 10men actually. But that 2nd barca goal was just evidence of how tired city had gotten by then.

Bayern. I would say Bayern punished them last season. Those two games, Bayern dominated them in every part of game.

100% agree with you, but can any team keep dominating them all the time? If Bayern plays against Barca again the way they played City, I don't think they will have a chance. But again, Barca are less threatening in their final third than they used to be

But they only stayed in the game that long because they were conserved for long periods, they were always going to tire sooner or later, give away fouls and collect cards because they are chasing the ball, when they came out they were opened up.

Agreed that they probably a tad conservative in the first half but what you said subsequently is pretty much logical stuff and it's not like it doesn't happen with other teams. Even we, for instance, had those situations against Barcelona or even Guardiola's Bayern in the Super Cup.

And infact a lot of nice barca plays leading to close offside calls went mancitys way (rightfully of course). I was more impressed with them with 10men actually. But that 2nd barca goal was just evidence of how tired city had gotten by then.

Get your point about tiredness but using that scenario as an example to illustrate the point is poor when they played with 10 men for nearly 40 minutes. Bound to happen if anything. But on the other hand, rather than looking at tiredness, perhaps one could argue it's just poor defending...

In addition to what you have said, I don't think they executed their counter attack that well or utilized Silva or Yaya efficiently. Well said mate.

Agreed that they probably a tad conservative in the first half but what you said subsequently is pretty much logical stuff and it's not like it doesn't happen with other teams. Even we, for instance, had those situations against Barcelona or even Guardiola's Bayern in the Super Cup.

We had those situations before, but we were a team that was used to that. So our stamina will be much better than a team that did that for the first time in their life.

Infact our tactics is purely counter attacking so it was something we are used to.

Get your point about tiredness but using that scenario as an example to illustrate the point is poor when they played with 10 men for nearly 40 minutes. Bound to happen if anything. But on the other hand, rather than looking at tiredness, perhaps one could argue it's just poor defending...

I know that the 10men situation helped to get them tired but barca style will always get any opponent tired in the 2nd half, as long as u have to chase the ball. That's why they score a lot of goals in the 2nd half, check their stats. The constant possession makes opponents mentally tired bcos of so much concentration needed to defend.

And another thing is that their style makes opponents get carded a lot. I saw a stat that in europe, barca hve gotten their opponents red carded 26 times which is the highest out of any team. These things: physical and mental tiredness, cards always happen. Curse you guardiola, the only way to beat this system is to press perfectly like bayern, keep the ball more than barca, or stay in the 18box like RDM.

Any other way is mostly hoping on pure luck.

It was pretty even before the penalty tbh... Barcelona had the majority of the possession but never even put City under pressure.

Pellegrini went too defensive, Kolarov on the wing? they play their best when they have two strikers, they beat Bayern with two not one. It may suit them going to the camp nou needing a win, it'll force them to attack. Aguero and Negredo need to play together, if they have any hope winning.

Apart from that one slip up from Kompany, he was a beast, had the better of Messi today. When we had Mata i was sure he was better than Silva, last year he was pretty poor, but this season Silva is amazing, today he was City's best player.

Pathetic performance by City any way you look at it - they've managed to lose the tie already and playing at home...

One day people will understand that scoring or conceding isn't about mistakes, at least not always. Talent forces situations to take place, which some call "mistakes."

imagine if we got Barca in next round, and Eto'o scored the winner

Lol shall I hold my breath for that?

... No wait I may die. He can't score against West Brom forget Barca :(

People are being to flippant about Galatasaray, it's going to be Very hard, they have Didier we have Etoo so unfair :(