If Milan win on Tuesday, we really need to go for it...

This is a funny thread, why should we be afraid of barca ? Maybe they are the best team in Europe but if you want to be the best you have to beat the best. And also if you want to lose, it's better to lose against barca rather than to lose against benfica.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a funny thread, why should we be afraid of barca ? Maybe they are the best team in Europe but if you want to be the best you have to beat the best. And also if you want to lose, it's better to lose against barca rather than to lose against benfica.

It can still happen...

And if they lose, I am happy taking the L against Benfica, in order to focus on the league.

I feel like our team is strong enough to beat the likes of Milan and Bayern, but have no chance against Barcelona who are on a different level.

This is fuzzy logic if ever there was. If AC Milan beat Barcelona, arguably the best footballing side in the world and who you claim we have "no chance" against, then they pose as much of a threat as Barcelona themselves. So following your train of thought, what chance do we have against AC Milan?

So... If you fancy our chances against Milan assuming they beat Barcelona, then why wouldn't you fancy our chances against Barcelona from the get go?

It can still happen...

Don't get me wrong,I rated our chance to go through before the 1st leg to be 50-50, now our chance is 55-45.

I don't forget how many chances that Benfica had in that game and how our players could not string more than 3 passes

This is fuzzy logic if ever there was. If AC Milan beat Barcelona, arguably the best footballing side in the world and who you claim we have "no chance" against, then they pose as much of a threat as Barcelona themselves. So following your train of thought, what chance do we have against AC Milan?

So... If you fancy our chances against Milan assuming they beat Barcelona, then why wouldn't you fancy our chances against Barcelona from the get go?

Let's take this out of the football world for a minute.

Buster Douglas defeats a prime, unbeaten Mike Tyson for the Heavyweight Title, before a young Evander Holyfield can get his title shot. Does this mean that Douglas, having just defeated the #1 fighter on the planet, is a comparable threat to Holyfield in the next matchup? Evidently not, as their fight showed us.

The same principles would apply here.

When your in a quarter-final of any competition, you'll be stupid not to be going for it, I don't think many teams would think oh no we might have to play this team next so let's just give up on this.

We've got to focus on Benfica first anyway.

But, any team that has come this far is good enough to beat any team on their day.

Let's take this out of the football world for a minute.

Buster Douglas defeats a prime, unbeaten Mike Tyson for the Heavyweight Title, before a young Evander Holyfield can get his title shot. Does this mean that Douglas, having just defeated the #1 fighter on the planet, is a comparable threat to Holyfield in the next matchup? Evidently not, as their fight showed us.

The same principles would apply here.

Your logic is as follows...

If AC Milan beat Barcelona; Then great. We can beat AC Milan so you're happy to go through.

If Barcelona beat AC Milan; You'll accept a Benfica defeat because we can't compete with Barcelona.

But taking your stance that AC Milan are beatable, what have you learned from a Barcelona win? Nothing. Because all you assert is that a team you considered beatable by Chelsea, got beat by a team who could also beat Chelsea. So then why not have a crack at Barcelona anyway? You've got to be in it to win it.

The point being, to assume AC Milan are any less a threat should they beat Barcelona based on a hand picked boxing analogy is madness. Almost wanting to get knocked out if Barcelona beat AC Milan is absurd.

We will beat Barcelona or Milan. I have absolutely no doubts over that. At this point its Benfica I'm worried about. What if we get complacent and fuck it up? One thing I've noticed about our squad is that we are far better chasers than leaders, we prefer to dash around in circles rather than maintaining a calm, composed lead.

If we get by Benfica, I want Barca. I want revenge from that April nite in 2009. So I will hope Barca win & see that they have the Blues next. I don't think they will have Norwegian refs to help out this time. If you think I am loco, well I am Crazy about the Blues.

Your logic is as follows...

If AC Milan beat Barcelona; Then great. We can beat AC Milan so you're happy to go through.

If Barcelona beat AC Milan; You'll accept a Benfica defeat because we can't compete with Barcelona.

But taking your stance that AC Milan are beatable, what have you learned from a Barcelona win? Nothing. Because all you assert is that a team you considered beatable by Chelsea, got beat by a team who could also beat Chelsea. So then why not have a crack at Barcelona anyway? You've got to be in it to win it.

The point being, to assume AC Milan are any less a threat should they beat Barcelona based on a hand picked boxing analogy is madness. Almost wanting to get knocked out if Barcelona beat AC Milan is absurd.

The key is we would have to beat Barca through two legs. Realistically, I cannot see that happening, as our team is not built to deal with their tiki-taka. Milan are just one match away from doing the business for us, the result was very favourable for the Italians in the first leg, and their inferior quality showed in that match as Barca dominated possession and scoring chances.

I will always support Chelsea but if Barca is in the way, this year I would not be deeply saddened to bow out at the QF stage, so that our lads are fresher for the big PL games coming up. What would you have, more matches in a competition we have little chance in (assuming this is the case), or fresher legs for the winnable clashes with Arsenal and Pool?

At any rate, just 12 hours left to find out who our SF opponent will be. Can't wait!

We played like shit against Benfica imo, a carbon copy performance could just as well end up with us losing if they decide to show up. Either way, I think we are no hopes against Barca.. we used to match them when our old guard was at their peaks, now they are shadows.. I can see the likes of Iniesta and Messi dribbling past the likes of Meireles and Lampard with ease.

To be honest, on the back of 2011 I didn't even think we'd make it to this stage. When we drew Napoli I bricked it because of how shoddy we played in the group stages. Let's remember, we only got that far because we finally put in a good performance v. Valencia in that game of goal difference.

So anything we do now is a bonus for me. Getting past Napoli was a fantastic day, the reactions on here were a testament to that. So should we even make it to the semi-finals (which we're not in yet!) I would be beyond proud of Chelsea. If we get there, it doesn't matter who we come up against because neither will be an easy fixture. Some of you will be happy with Milan but remember, Milan beat Arsenal & they'd have beat Barcelona, making them a serious challenge to get past.

So let's not underestimate Milan, or even think that far ahead. Live for the moment.