The Roberto Di Matteo Thread

I just wish he would ring in the changes faster when we're in dire situations..like when we were 2-0 down yesterday and 3-0 down against Athletico..

Totally agree, IMO the only drawback RDM has is using his subs, as you said he generally makes a late change plus I really don't feel he is as good as either the special one or AVB ( I honestly think he was a good tactician) when changes need to be made during the game.

But Beside that he is awesome!!!!!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree, IMO the only drawback RDM has is using his subs, as you said he generally makes a late change plus I really don't feel he is as good as either the special one or AVB ( I honestly think he was a good tactician) when changes need to be made during the game.

But Beside that he is awesome!!!!!

Napoli says it all my friend. That is the difference between AVB & RDM, plus we saw what happened last week. To each their own, but RDM has scoreboard over AVB.

Napoli says it all my friend. That is the difference between AVB & RDM, plus we saw what happened last week. To each their own, but RDM has scoreboard over AVB.

First let me make it clear, I only compared RDM and AVB on their substitute tactics, not the overall tactics. I personally think AVB and the special one are similar when they have to change the game, they both are not shy to make early/drastic subs if needed, whereas RDM has a more reserved take on subsitutions.

And if you meant Napoli as in last year qualifiers, I don't think RDM can be given full credit atleast in that game, it has more to do with the new enthusiasm/belief that the players got from a starting of a new regime and an ending of a disastrous one. So it's unfair to compare then from last year, atleast one Napoli game.

And Yes, we did win against spurs, but this is largely due to the superiority of quality Chelsea have, plus spurs missed important players that day which made them really weak, specially in attack and midfield, not to mention changing of tactics do late.

I'm not saying AVB is better but I feel it's unfair to compare him with RDM, AVB had ten times more pressure on him during his stay than RDM.

I think he means as in the timing of the subs not exactly their main tactics to start off with, for example AVB's sub vs Man Utd in the 3-1 game. Lampard off Anelka on, few minutes in Torres goal via Anelka through ball. Was early in the second half when we were 3-0 down and it was needed... it worked as we reacted and scored!

Oh d ear oh dear ohdear...his comments with the reports have been twisted to make the head line "Refs favour Man Utd".

Reminds me of Rafa Benitez and how their season floped thereafter after he made the same comment.

Oh d ear oh dear ohdear...his comments with the reports have been twisted to make the head line "Refs favour Man Utd".

Reminds me of Rafa Benitez and how their season floped thereafter after he made the same comment.

But Rafa said that it was a FAKT.

Maybe he has trouble telling the time? :)

That is the only thing that really started to annoy me... Especially as they came out firing in the second half and we were struggling to get a touch and we have the likes of Marin, moses and sturridge if we want to change things in the attack and cesar and JT in the defence, now the main move would obvioulsly be to replace torres but leaving it to the 80th min and putting danny on with 4 mins left is a bit weird. You would think around the 55th min/60th min would be about right, but still we got the win...

In fairness AVB made some really really bad decisions in subs to, for example look at when we played him at spurs, he made a sub he didnt have to make in defense and it cost him the game...hardly much of a tactician, AVB is a great scout of talent (and he should be that was his job before) and despite what i said he is also a great tactician, but theirs something he misses when it comes to the actual game, maybe he'll get better in time! but atm no he's not good, late subs are also a pet hate of RDM for me, im not sure why he dose'nt react some times, but its few and far between so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe is just comes down to one things, RDM is a lucky manager and AVB is not? lol it does look that way some times...and if you cant have a world class manager, i'll take a lucky one any day!

In fairness AVB made some really really bad decisions in subs to, for example look at when we played him at spurs, he made a sub he didnt have to make in defense and it cost him the game...hardly much of a tactician, AVB is a great scout of talent (and he should be that was his job before) and despite what i said he is also a great tactician, but theirs something he misses when it comes to the actual game, maybe he'll get better in time! but atm no he's not good, late subs are also a pet hate of RDM for me, im not sure why he dose'nt react some times, but its few and far between so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe is just comes down to one things, RDM is a lucky manager and AVB is not? lol it does look that way some times...and if you cant have a world class manager, i'll take a lucky one any day!

It's typical AVB for you. Always try to see out games by making defensive changes when the team is only leading a goal and he always ended up failing to win the game. That has never really worked since he's been in England.

It's typical AVB for you. Always try to see out games by making defensive changes when the team is only leading a goal and he always ended up failing to win the game. That has never really worked since he's been in England.

Maybe it's something that stuck from Mourinho

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...