Everton 2-0 Chelsea

BlueLion.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'm all for giving Romelu a start. Torres is obviously not going to score any time soon.

oh no this will be his game .... how many times have we heard that. i say play danny down the middle with torres you can clearly see Danny is not a winger.

It's all way wishful thinking sadly.

Will Torres play: yes.

Will Sturrdige play on the wing: yes

Will Romelu get a start: no

Will Mata play on the wing: yes

Will AVB bring Romelu when Torres *bleep* up again or is clearly tired: no

The question is: Can we afford to play the same way we've been playing recently?

Nope! Ideally I'd love to see Lukaku starting with Studge. Mata tucked in just behind them. But AVB won't abandon this 4-1-2-3 formation that clearly isn't working, so Lukaku has no chance!

I don't think that Lukaku would have any impact. This lad is only 18 and needs to learn so much. If the Staff would see the opurtnunity that he succeeds right now the would play him. It's better to not burn his talent than playing him with the knowledge that he is lacking too much in his abilitys. We have 2 (more or less) world class strikers who both have gib problems to adapt to our game so I just can't see Lukaku doin better

I don't think that Lukaku would have any impact. This lad is only 18 and needs to learn so much. If the Staff would see the opurtnunity that he succeeds right now the would play him. It's better to not burn his talent than playing him with the knowledge that he is lacking too much in his abilitys. We have 2 (more or less) world class strikers who both have gib problems to adapt to our game so I just can't see Lukaku doin better

Much agreed.

I don't see what we'd lose if we gave him a chance. He can't do much worse than our current selection.

I don't see what we'd lose if we gave him a chance. He can't do much worse than our current selection.

You are right that there's no difference for the team who plays shit in CF. But for him to evolve as a player he needs to have an impact and to do well. Just imagine the headlines of "the sun" if he fails to shine. We need to give him time. I don't want him to become a new Borini/Di Santo

You are right that there's no difference for the team who plays shit in CF. But for him to evolve as a player he needs to have an impact and to do well. Just imagine the headlines of "the sun" if he fails to shine. We need to give him time. I don't want him to become a new Borini/Di Santo

Even when the CF doesn't have any impact, I'm 100% sure Lukaku would gain a lot from starting a game. Experience, feeling confidence from the manager, the little chance that he might do well and even score, etc..

Torres on the contrary would actually lose confidence when not being able to have an impact. Something we all have seen happening in the last couple of weeks.

But I agree that an owngoal or a gigantic misser from Lukaku would feed newspapers à la The Sun. But sometimes you have to take risks. If you take the risk to pay 18 million, you have to have the guts to play him now and then.

I think it's fair that AVB says that Torres needs confidence from the staff, teammates and fans. But I guess the same thing applies for Lukaku. Lukaku set his own goal at the start of the season: to make the CL squad in January (1 change can be made). Well he failed, and knowing Lukaku a little bit, I think he's feeling all but good now. So it's not only Torres who should feel confidence.

I can follow both opinions.

I know (and hope) that the reason for Romelu not playing at the moment, is the fact AVB (or the club) wants to protect him. I have all respect for this decision. Especially if you calculate the impact of a tabloid hate campaign whenever he screws something up in the next few games.

I also know a lot of you guys don't want to compare the pressure between Anderlechts (Jupiler League) & Chelsea (Premier league), thinking there is a serious risk Romelu would "crash" due to the level of the opposition OR a bad performance by himself => agree with AVB = protection = No Romelu @ the bridge => but also means No Romelu on a soccer pitch for maybe one year!

As you might know I've been following Romelu for a long time now. And sure, I can understand he's a young player. BUT don't forget he was dropped in the Anderlecht squad for the first time at age 16(!!) and more over in the second(!) game of the test matches between Anderlecht - Standard de Liege at the end of season 2008-2009 (=> deciding who would be the league's champions that year). This means he made his debut on a moment that the championship was at stake + it was still all to play for.

You might conclude 2 things from this act:

1. the Anderlecht board and the coach are absolute airheads!
  2. the immense shoulders of this lad (even at age 16) can handle more than just carrying weights in the gym

Let me tell you that the season after this testmatches, Lukaku was used as a sub in preseason and during the first games of the season. But by scoring more and more game winning goals, he soon became a starter. This season he became the youngest leagues topscorer & regular gamewinner at only age 16!!

I'm talking about Rsc Anderlecht here... not a bottom half season's revelation! His share in Anderlecht getting the title this season was gigantic! Also believe me when I say the pressure on Lukaku's shoulders was immense during this year. The hope of the biggest Belgian club was on the shoulders of one 16 year old kid: Romelu Lukaku, who scored one winning goal after another!!

Then the title => summer break => a new season. Belgian press was all on his neck during preseason "will lukaku be able to prove himself"... etc. Building up a massive new pressure. Fans of opposing teams were all ready with negative judgements once he had a bad game (or even a good game => jealousy anyone :))!

He had a difficult start (compared to what Torres is having now = a great start) the last season. But soon got over it and ended by scoring only 1 goal less then the season before!

What I want to say: trust me, take a look at Romelu's shoulders. He has the amazing quality of being able to cope with stress and pressure like no other kid of his age. And with all respect, the pressure he feels now at Chelsea is not of the same order than the pressure he had to deal with in Belgium!

Romelu is more than ready to go for it. Even a bad game will not affect his mentality! IMO he needs to play very soon! Let him on the bench for another 4 months and one of Europe's most brightest talents has just wasted a FULL year on a chelsea bench & will without doubt shine the next season in the colours of another team (Fulham, Sunderlands, ....).

AVB => give this lad a chance please B) :blue scalf:

I actually fancy us to WIN tomorrow :yay: (what is this thing called optimism) . A place i hate going to and somewhere we usually struggle but im feeling pretty good about tomorrows game. Hope we set up in the same fashion that we did against Manure but actually manage not to shit ourselves if any pressure gets put on us.

I believe he is. Late this month is the return time I've heard.

According to AVB in his PC, he should be back for next week against Birmingham. Hope it's true. We need him against Napoli!

Yep. I fear his injury is much more serious than we first thought.

I blame Luiz for that!

I actually fancy us to WIN tomorrow :yay: (what is this thing called optimism) . A place i hate going to and somewhere we usually struggle but im feeling pretty good about tomorrows game. Hope we set up in the same fashion that we did against Manure but actually manage not to shit ourselves if any pressure gets put on us.

Let's just hope Webb doesn't ref.