Patrick Bamford

Kieran.

Indeed, so what's your point? You follow the youth and reserves, well done. It wasn't a shock to you, but to the majority he is a dark horse....

He wants props for being such a great scout and seeing that he's a good player before all of us. I don't think his mum gave him enough encouragement as a child.

You did well lionsden! You really did well!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Indeed, so what's your point? You follow the youth and reserves, well done. It wasn't a shock to you, but to the majority he is a dark horse....

My point is I disagree with your definition of a dark horse. A player/team that used to be very rubbish/average in every sense, statistically and visually but showed massive leap and improvement to rise to prominence is my definition of a dark horse and not someone like Bamford who's consistently excelled at all youth and reserve level for both Forrest and Chelsea.

Drogba is one example of a darkhorse as no one expected him to make a living as pro footballer at the highest level because He had never shown the potential or ability at a young age unlike Bamford.

Bamford didn't just come out of nowhere as you and others seem to suggest.

My point is I disagree with your definition of dark horse. A player/team that used to be very rubbish/average in every sense, statistically and visually but showed massive leap and improvement to rise to prominence is my definition of a dark horse and not someone like Bamford who's consistently excelled at all youth and reserve level for both Forrest and Chelsea.

Drogba is one example of a darkhorse as no one expected to make a living as pro footballer because He had never shown the potential or ability at a young age unlike Bamford.

In an academy that features players who are star names or full internationals in their home countries (Feruz, Musonda, Hazard, Courtois, Kalas, Omeruo, Traore) or are in receipt of massive wages already (Loftus-Cheek, Chalobah) or even featured for our first team (Baker, Ake) then a guy who was signed from Forest in an under the radar deal is a dark horse in more of our eyes.

The simple fact is that he has surprised a lot of people (except you...bravo) by taking his good form at youth level into the professional ranks with nary a missed beat. Even for young superstars like McEachran or Kakuta this has been almost impossible so any player who does so with such ease would be surprising most followers of the game.

Ok?

He wants props for being such a great scout and seeing that he's a good player before all of us. I don't think his mum gave him enough encouragement as a child.

You did well lionsden! You really did well!

Atleast my mum raised me not to be disrespectful to people and their family. Can the same be said about you? certainly doesn't seem like it.

My point is I disagree with your definition of a dark horse. A player/team that used to be very rubbish/average in every sense, statistically and visually but showed massive leap and improvement to rise to prominence is my definition of a dark horse and not someone like Bamford who's consistently excelled at all youth and reserve level for both Forrest and Chelsea.

Drogba is one example of a darkhorse as no one expected him to make a living as pro footballer at the highest level because He had never shown the potential or ability at a young age unlike Bamford.

Bamford didn't just come out of nowhere as you and others seem to suggest.

Fantastic...

To be fair I originally said he was the dark horse of the loanee's.

Out of all the loanees, did you expect he to be perform the best, master scout?

I see quite a few people here don't even think he's going to make it into our first team plans, which usually I'd understand, with out transfer policy he'd get completely overlooked as our youngsters usually do

But with all of Mourhinio's talk of bringing players up from the youth teams[...]

That's all it's been though... talk. We haven't actually seen any real indication that it's going to happen.

That's all it's been though... talk. We haven't actually seen any real indication that it's going to happen.

Exactly. Talk is cheap. anyone can blow hot air but it takes real commitment to translate the words into action. Peter kenyon made the same claims years ago and we all know the end result.

Exactly. Talk is cheap. anyone can blow hot air but it takes real commitment to translate the words into action. Peter kenyon made the same claims years ago and we all know the end result.

I feel that if we do have a long term manager, one that stays for longer than 3 years, we'll definitely see youth being integrated more.

This guy is an absolute league one legend.

We sign so many young players eventually, there have to be some who actually have the potential to become as good. But they either are never given a chance like Matic, don't want it cos they know they will be shed out like Stoch or actually break into the team, become starters but then are cast out to accomodate some big buys. I fear Bamford will be one of those. He obviously knows where the goal stands and also works very hard, but being a striker at Chelsea seems to be the hardest job in football right now. Torres, Sturridge, Ba, Eto'o, Pizarro all vastly talented strikers, successful everywhere else they played just could not cut it here. You somehow need the all-round package like Drogba, but also the Drog was given years before he really blossomed. So if most strikers are bound to fail here, why not fuckin play the ones we got instead of buying those fails.

Lukaku, Bamford, Feruz - a strikeforce that will hardly strike fear into opponents but they surely will not do much worse than our current one. Most importantly they are our players. Eto'o, Torres, Ba might play for us and it is probably not their fault, but they just don't feel Chelsea players. They were bought because we thought they could perform for us now based on the players they are. Feruz, Lukaku, Bamford were bought because some people at the club believed they could perform for us someday based on what was seen in them. A player bought for the moment usually just performs to repays the money invested in him, but a youth player also wants to repay the trust. Even though this principle is often undermined, it creates a sense of belonging that is much stronger than with already grown players. This is why I believe our youth players should be given much more chances, even if they might not be good enough yet.

Yes.

No one expected him to be as good as he is. Who expected him to go to MK Dons and absolutely smash it? I certainly didn't. When I heard of his transfer to Derby I thought he'd be a bench player as did many here.

I think he's benefitted from the lack of 'hype' around him, especially compared to players like Josh and Kakuta. When he first went to MK Dons a year ago he still took a few games to get going but he was allowed that time,(while if a more hyped player had a slow start there'd be a big ruckus).