Frank Lampard

DavidEU

I usually like Dan Levene and find some of his musings and articles to be insightful and thought-provoking but this is just a poor letter.

He spends much of it telling us what Frank did do and what he represents to the fans and very little (if any) explaining where he fits into the squad next year. Yes we have an emotional attachment with Lamps, but my emotional attachment to the club is far greater and I think we're better next year with other players filling his position.

A lot of usually normal supporters/journalists are coming off a bit crazy on the Lampard issue.

When Utd have a policy of 1 year contracts for players over 30, it's a good thing according to the media. It's funny how the story is different with us. I think Lampard is a Chelsea legend, and I will be sad to see him go. However, when it comes to things like this, and the "loyalty" word gets thrown around, let's not forget that Lampard has already been financially compensated for his past performances. The new contract is for future performances.

Frank's been good for Chelsea, Chelsea have been very good for Frank. All things end including his contract. I would like to see him get the record, I'd be just as glad to see Tambling keep hold of it and I would be delighted to see someone smash it. We should liek and respect our players and they us and the club.

This is the best club on the planet and players will inevitably come and go - the club is the most important part though. I think Frank has done his time and done it admirably but I fear next season would be a season too far and I would hate to see him fail in any way for his benefit but more importantly the club. He won't be forgotten and there might even be a job for him when he finishes his playing career elsewhere (hoped it might be Rangers but that won't happen) but he is just a small part of our lengthening and improving history

Post of the week. :clap:

People have to realize that the reason he's not getting offered a new contract is not because anyone thinks he's not good enough, but rather to pay a 35 year old 150K a week to be a bit part player is utter stupidity. You think United are paying Giggs and Scholes that much? Hello no!

I'm perfectly ok with Frank leaving if he's getting that kind of money elsewhere, and perfectly fine with Chelsea not wanting to match it.

That said, I really hope he becomes top scorer before the end of the season. I was so pissed today at Frank for not getting a piece of cake hat-trick.

Frank's been good for Chelsea, Chelsea have been very good for Frank. All things end including his contract. I would like to see him get the record, I'd be just as glad to see Tambling keep hold of it and I would be delighted to see someone smash it. We should liek and respect our players and they us and the club.

This is the best club on the planet and players will inevitably come and go - the club is the most important part though. I think Frank has done his time and done it admirably but I fear next season would be a season too far and I would hate to see him fail in any way for his benefit but more importantly the club. He won't be forgotten and there might even be a job for him when he finishes his playing career elsewhere (hoped it might be Rangers but that won't happen) but he is just a small part of our lengthening and improving history

such a great post man. we should definitely appreciate the good things

post of the day :blue scalf:

People have to realize that the reason he's not getting offered a new contract is not because anyone thinks he's not good enough, but rather to pay a 35 year old 150K a week to be a bit part player is utter stupidity. You think United are paying Giggs and Scholes that much? Hello no!

Mate, this is the point - if you don't think he deserves that wage (which he has by no means officially requested unless you've heard something I haven't) then you are either a poor judge of footballing ability or it is pure ageism - or in many cases, even both.

He is 34 last time I checked, & he is not this 'bit-part player' that you all want him to be just for the sake of developing your favourite new rising youngsters - who could only dream of living up to Lampard's legacy. He is first team world class quality & that is still undeniable with some of the performances he has put in recently. If these future superstars were actually better than him, they would already be in the team in his place, but they're simply not there yet, & I have no idea why anyone would choose to believe that they deserve a place in the squad for their potential instead of their current ability, over a player who themselves as well as many others will fail to eclipse for a very long time.

What's even more confusing is this continuously desperate last resort to compare him to Giggs & Scholes, which makes no sense at all, because they are both 4+ years older & they have lost their consistency along with their fitness due to age finally catching up to them.

We are talking about Frank fucking Lampard here mate, one of the most consistent players in the world for the last 10 years who continues to prove his justified place in the starting line up after returning from injury with some truly fine displays without a hint of tiring legs. This has come in a time where we have needed him most - & once again he has delivered. 194 is the number you should be looking at, not 34.

Put it this way, would you or would you not give Gerrard/Pirlo/Alonso/Xavi an extension if they were at this club? Because if not, then I can somewhat understand I guess since you clearly must be completely clueless about football, or you otherwise have become entirely disillusioned by your ideals of effervescent youth/too much footy manager. But if you would actually give any one of those players a contract, then how the fuck can you possibly justify not giving the same thing to Frank?

Mate, this is the point - if you don't think he deserves that wage (which he has by no means officially requested unless you've heard something I haven't) then you are either a poor judge of footballing ability or it is pure ageism - or in many cases, even both.

He is 34 last time I checked, & he is not this 'bit-part player' that you all want him to be just for the sake of developing your favourite new rising youngsters - who could only dream of living up to Lampard's legacy. He is first team world class quality & that is still undeniable with some of the performances he has put in recently. If these future superstars were actually better than him, they would be in the team already in his place, but they're simply not ready yet, & I have no idea why you think that they deserve a place in the squad for their potential instead of their current ability, over a player who they & many others will fail to eclipse for a very long time.

What's even more confusing is this continuously desperate last resort to compare him to Giggs & Scholes, which makes no sense at all, because they are both 4+ years older & they have lost their consistency along with their fitness due to age finally catching up to them.

We are talking about Frank fucking Lampard here mate, one of the most consistent players in the world for the last 10 years who continues to prove his justified place in the starting line up after returning from injury with some truly fine displays without a hint of tiring legs. This has come in a time where we truly have needed him mos - & once again he has delivered. 194 is the number you should be looking at, not 34.

Put it this way, would you or would you not give Gerrard/Pirlo/Alonso/Xavi an extension if they were at this club? Because if not, then I can somewhat understand I guess since you clearly must be completely clueless about football, or you otherwise have become entirely disillusioned by your ideals of effervescent youth/too much footy manager. But if you would actually give any one of those players a contract, then how the fuck can you possibly justify not giving the same thing to Frank?

Yeah, i tend to agree with the thought here. For me, he is frank lampard, and whatever he gets paid wouldn't concern me, but i would love him to stay whatever. He can definitely contribute and proved today his value, and looked extremely fit as always, and was unlucky to not score more.

Tell me guys as you say Frank is 35, he is past it, there are better, younger players who deserve chances ahead of him, how the hell then is this old fat Lamps playing better than any other player in this team? He has that perfect instinct of everything from passing, shooting, movement,...Right now, he is in form and as a player, he plays much better than Modric, Moutinho,..would. Simple.

A lot of usually normal supporters/journalists are coming off a bit crazy on the Lampard issue.

It's all getting a bit tedious to be honest. Part of me would be relieved if we'd just sell him to the LA Galaxy to have one less storyline repeated every time he has an average/above-average game or even just comes on in the last 10 minutes and scores a penalty.

The one good thing about the shitty QPR result is that we had a break from the same mewling and bleating for a few days. :banghead:

It's all getting a bit tedious to be honest. Part of me would be relieved if we'd just sell him to the LA Galaxy to have one less storyline repeated every time he has an average/above-average game or even just comes on in the last 10 minutes and scores a penalty.

The one good thing about the shitty QPR result is that we had a break from the same mewling and bleating for a few days. :banghead:

No disrespect has been shown to Frank , He simply hasnt been offered a new contract. He is still a major player for the rest of season and must be enjoying the worship of the fans. I truly feel that for once the right decision

has been made .

No disrespect has been shown to Frank , He simply hasnt been offered a new contract. He is still a major player for the rest of season and must be enjoying the worship of the fans. I truly feel that for once the right decision

has been made .

All this shit about disrespecting him or screwing him or even 'sacking' him is just hysterical. He's simply come to the end of a contract - a well-paid contract that he got in no small part by refusing to rule out a move to Inter Milan. Now that's fair enough. In business you play sides off against one another to secure the best price for your services.

Well this is business too. We're moving on to something different as well.

Yeah, i tend to agree with the thought here. For me, he is frank lampard, and whatever he gets paid wouldn't concern me, but i would love him to stay whatever. He can definitely contribute and proved today his value, and looked extremely fit as always, and was unlucky to not score more.

That's the thing as well, today he didn't just contribute to the game - he actually controlled it for the vast duration of the match & was the best player on the park. & like you said he lasted the whole 90 minutes with no issue; he definitely seems to play far more like a 30 year old than a 35 year old.

He is 34 last time I checked, & he is not this 'bit-part player' that you all want him to be just for the sake of developing your favourite new rising youngsters - who could only dream of living up to Lampard's legacy. He is first team world class quality & that is still undeniable with some of the performances he has put in recently. If these future superstars were actually better than him, they would already be in the team in his place, but they're simply not there yet, & I have no idea why anyone would choose to believe that they deserve a place in the squad for their potential instead of their current ability, over a player who themselves as well as many others will fail to eclipse for a very long time.

We are talking about Frank fucking Lampard here mate, one of the most consistent players in the world for the last 10 years who continues to prove his justified place in the starting line up after returning from injury with some truly fine displays without a hint of tiring legs. This has come in a time where we truly have needed him most - & once again he has delivered. 194 is the number you should be looking at, not 34.

It's not even about his age, or giving youth a chance over him. I never said that, you are trying to project an agenda onto me which I didn't bring up. And, we don't even have any youth or any player in the squad better for the pivot at the moment but that doesn't mean we don't need one. I didn't bring up once that I want Lamps gone to give others a chance, there is no one, but there has to be next season or even this January. Our midfield is horrible.

Yeah, he played good today, but I don't think he's good enough to be starting material for Chelsea anymore. Today might be hard to get this across considering he put in a BEAST of a performance but I'm sorry, I don't think he's been Chelsea quality for two years now. And, don't bother bringing up others on the squad who aren't Chelsea quality, I know very well there are several not Chelsea quality and I have the same feelings for them. But for the money we'd be paying him, we can get several better players for the pivot. I'm not saying they'll be Lampard replacement because I don't think we'll ever see a CM like Lampard again, but we can def find better footballers for Chelsea than current Lamps for the money we'll be paying him.

And, I am confident that high wages are the reason he's not being extended because that's the only thing that makes sense. You can't honestly think that the board will not offer Lamps an extension if he was willing to accept lower wages. And the reason I bring up a bit-part player again is not because of age, but simply because that's what his quality warrants for a team like Chelsea. Midfield has been our weakness for some time. Even if you pay super high wages to Lampard the simple fact is that we are still weak there and have to still buy a first choice double pivot player. Like it or not, but if Lamps is still first choice next season in the pivot, that's not a good enough midfield. So if you expect Chelsea to improve like Chelsea should, we'll need a top-class midfielder and that automatically relegates Lamps to a squad role. And you don't pay 150K to a squad player, no matter who it is. That's stupidity.

What I love about you - rarely post, but when you do it's great :)