Raul Meireles

chrismada9

I've never been sold on him being a permanent starter for the club but full credit to him, very disciplined player, never broke the shape of the two man midfield (which was absolutely key over both legs), gave it absolutely everything he had, a real honest and hard working player and a credit to the shirt last night.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 superb performances. All people see are his missed passes and completely ignore the work that he's put in over the 180 minutes. Constantly harrying the Barca players and never letting them have any breathing space at all. He did the job he was supposed to, and he did it brilliantly considering how much of an "average" player he is in pretty much all aspects.

Also, he's the only one of the four who miss out on the final who actually got booked for something football related so he took one for the team. Agree with warnie when he was begging the ref not to give the yellow I felt so horrible for him.

Can't believe people want to sell him. No way he should be a starter but he is more than capable of being a rotational player and I hope he's proved that to most fans after these 2 legs

Spot on. He still remains the master of giving away possession though.

My only frustration with him sometimes is he gives away the ball too cheaply and that was what led to Barcelona's 2nd goal last night. Other than that, he did alright.

No one is saying that he's this world class player or anything. He's distinctly average technically. And if you're looking for individual mistakes, there are dozens in every game. What about Ashley Cole's defending during Napoli's third in the 3-1 loss? That was even worse.

his passing is bad but he's a great squad option to have.

No one is saying that he's this world class player or anything. He's distinctly average technically. And if you're looking for individual mistakes, there are dozens in every game. What about Ashley Cole's defending during Napoli's third in the 3-1 loss? That was even worse.

his passing is bad but he's a great squad option to have.

Erm, didn't say anything regarding with your post earlier. Was just making my own point on him. :D

This is what I call a team player. During both legs, he knew a yellow card would mean stop in the next match, however we has fighting for the team, always trying to stop Messi by fauling him, and giving everything, even he had no chance of surviving it without being booked. Heroic performances from him.

The first half was a complete disaster for Raul. But he displayed a great performance in the second half. Amazing effort.

Especially when he gave that ball away which lead to I think Messi or Iniesta being one on one against Cech I was about to chuck something at the TV. I though he was awful in the first half but since Terry got send off he did his duties in the defensive department and deserves credit for his second half performance.

I wanted to say this, so i'll put it here.

I've gotten so much more respect for this guy, i used to not really favour him at all to be honest. But what he did in the Barca match was just classic. He took one for the team as someone said.

He could of been selfish and just stayed away and no one would of noticed, but instead he broke up play i think it was Xavi who had the ball, and it looked dangerous because Barca were closing in again. There was no way Meireles was going to win the ball, well didn't look it, but he still done it. And don't forget this dude is 28 or 29, he might never play in the CL Final, what a sacrafice.

I really like this guy a lot more now just for that, he went for the team rather than for himself, thanks Raul!.

I really like this guy a lot more now just for that, he went for the team rather than for himself, thanks Raul!.

At first I was like hell yeah, this guy has tats & he has game as well. Then the Napoli fiasco where he was used like a wet food stamp. After AVB left there was some discussion that he would leave, but Tuftie Meireles has been a Stand-up Pro. It will be a pleasure watching w/ us & for Portugal this Summer.

rm_ismad.jpg

At first I was like hell yeah, this guy has tats & he has game as well. Then the Napoli fiasco where he was used like a wet food stamp. After AVB left there was some discussion that he would leave, but Tuftie Meireles has been a Stand-up Pro. It will be a pleasure watching w/ us & for Portugal this Summer.

rm_ismad.jpg

His goal against Benfica is one i will remember, it was just like Torres's it settled out nerves, even though we would of went through anyway.