Juan Mata

Severinb

He probably won't play as many games as he did last season, and we have Oscar who is a lot more tenacious and contributes more defensively to play those games where we might face a bit more pressure. He'll be used like Ozil was used at Madrid, and he'll still be one of our most important players but he won't have to carry the team like he did last year.

I think this is going to be a recurring theme with a few players simply because I expect our squad to be bigger than it was last year. Player rotation will be key in 60 game seasons and hopefully that will mean key players are able to perform at their peak more often.

He probably won't play as many games as he did last season

I hope so. He will be feeling exhausted after the season just gone having started 3 games in the Olympics and 2 International's prior to the 55 starts for club. (Sky Sports Stats).. With the Confederation's cup coming up it will feel as if he will never get the chance to rest. We don't want him having a season like Silva did for CIty where he was clearly burnt out from the season before in the Premiership and from International duty. Fully expect us to have a far bigger squad with player's capable of rotating with Hazard, Mata and Oscar and not upsetting the Chemistry and strength of the team.

It will probably be a case where he views him like Joe Cole. Will play him but will never really favour him and will probably (for next season at least) push him aside to accommodate Lampard more, which will be a shame.

Dude shut up

No I will not, just because my opinion differs from you does not mean I have to keep it shut :rolleyes:. Must hurt you so much that you can't ban me for posting since it follows the forum rules.

Just because you can't be banned for posting shit doesn't mean you should make it your raison d'etre. You seem to want to constantly shit on this appointment and bring up increasingly bizarre reasons to do so.

Mata and Joe Cole aren't even in the same ballpark when it comes to their level of ability or even their value to this club.

Just because you can't be banned for posting shit doesn't mean you should make it your raison d'etre. You seem to want to constantly shit on this appointment and bring up increasingly bizarre reasons to do so.

Mata and Joe Cole aren't even in the same ballpark when it comes to their level of ability or even their value to this club.

There is the problem of their defensive contribution. I don't think Jose every really cared about Joe Cole because of it. I think Jose once even bashed Joe Cole on this issue on national television. I can see him doing the same with Mata even though he is such a vital part of the team and try to push him down the pecking order..

And what I say is known as the concept called an opinion. And I'm sorry if a lot of my opinions go against the grain of other Chelsea fans on the club, but I should be allowed to express them on a free forum without people wanting to try and shut me up.

Joe Cole played as an unorthodox winger in a 4-3-3 formation using his dribbling to get past players and deliver a cross.

Juan Mata plays as an attacking midfielder in a 4-2-3-1, dictating the tempo of the game when he can, relying on his swift movements to get past players.

Joe Cole, being on the wing, was expected to contribute to defending a bit so the flank wasn't exposed.

Juan Mata, playing in the hole behind a striker and being relied on for goals/assists, isn't, won't be and shouldn't be expected to put such an emphasis on defence, and should only need to close down players in his own area as he has 2 defensive midfielders behind him.

Where is this comparison coming from? Joe Cole and Eden Hazard is a comparison. Joe Cole and Moses is a comparison. Ozil and Mata is a comparison. Sneijder and Mata is a comparison.

There is the problem of their defensive contribution. I don't think Jose every really cared about Joe Cole because of it. I think Jose once even bashed Joe Cole on this issue on national television. I can see him doing the same with Mata even though he is such a vital part of the team and try to push him down the pecking order..

And what I say is known as the concept called an opinion. And I'm sorry if a lot of my opinions go against the grain of other Chelsea fans on the club, but I should be allowed to express them on a free forum without people wanting to try and shut me up.

Deco, Robben, Sneijder, Ozil.

None of these players was known for their defensive contribution but they each played key roles in Mourinho's teams. The reason is simple - Jose is a good manager capable of covering his team's deficiencies whilst keeping what they bring to the team.

As for Joe Cole, he wasn't at any of these players levels so it's harder to make a case that he should play when he doesn't bring a huge amount to the team.

Joe Cole played as an unorthodox winger in a 4-3-3 formation using his dribbling to get past players and deliver a cross.

Juan Mata plays as an attacking midfielder in a 4-2-3-1, dictating the tempo of the game when he can, relying on his swift movements to get past players.

Joe Cole, being on the wing, was expected to contribute to defending a bit so the flank wasn't exposed.

Juan Mata, playing in the hole behind a striker and being relied on for goals/assists, isn't, won't be and shouldn't be expected to put such an emphasis on defence, and should only need to close down players in his own area as he has 2 defensive midfielders behind him.

Where is this comparison coming from? Joe Cole and Eden Hazard is a comparison. Joe Cole and Moses is a comparison. Ozil and Mata is a comparison. Sneijder and Mata is a comparison.

Joe Cole was groomed to play in the number 10 role (or at least in a central position) at West Ham. It wasn't until he came to Chelsea that he was pushed in an out wide position. The problem will be is what if Jose does not want to use the 4-2-3-1 system, or any system that uses a number 10 role. What if he wants to favour the likes of Lampard because he still scores every once in a wile. That will be the big question and why I make the Mata and Cole comparisons.

Also, even if he does use a formation that has a number 10 role. He will still want them to contribute a lot defensively. Unfortunately one of his (very, very few) weaknesses is that he is not particularly strong. And I can see Jose not favoring over this, either changing the formation for others or using more physical players in his lace. Again this is due to my fear that he will try and make Chelsea too physical like in his last season and not favour flair and creativity - trying to use the likes of Lampard and Essien to help relive that image. Even at Real Madrid he had to let some players have a free role despite obviously wanting to make the team a counter-attacking one relying on the strength with the likes of Khedira, Ronaldo, Ramos etc.

None of these players was known for their defensive contribution but they each played key roles in Mourinho's teams. The reason is simple - Jose is a good manager capable of covering his team's deficiencies whilst keeping what they bring to the team.

As for Joe Cole, he wasn't at any of these players levels so it's harder to make a case that he should play when he doesn't bring a huge amount to the team.

See last post.

Note; Robben was a winger for us, never used in a number 10 role.

You made no mention of Ozil, Deco or Sneijder but thanks for telling me Robben was a winger

They have the benefit that they are taller and more physically stronger then Mata, which if you actually took the time to read my posts properly is why I fear that Mata will not be viewed as favorably.

They have the benefit that they are taller and more physically stronger then Mata, which if you actually took the time to read my posts properly is why I fear that Mata will not be viewed as favorably.

I think you're clutching at straws. I think you've taken a view on Jose's return and decided to bash it at every turn. Yes you may trot out that it's just your opinion, but at least try and make worthwhile observations.

I think you're clutching at straws. I think you've taken a view on Jose's return and decided to bash it at every turn. Yes you may trot out that it's just your opinion, but at least try and make worthwhile observations.

So what is a worthwhile observation? Something that you agree with? Is it then that it qualifies as a worthwhile observation or otherwise we can just scrap it as useless prattle ? :rolleyes:

Excuse me for not being overwhelmed by Jose's return to the club. I have a lot of doubts and fears but using your criteria I shouldn't express it because its not "worthwhile observations", how dare someone go against the grain

And finaly, into my eyes, he isn't made for the defense ; he doesn't understand Defense — just like some people don't understand Mathematics (you certainly had in your class someone who always had poor grades in Math, no matter what they were doing) or like some people cannot draw in 3D, etc... I spend a lot of time being focused on players' defensive contribution, especially forwards/midfielders. That is these observations that makes me think that Mata and Defense cannot get along (just like me and Finances lol). When he does try, his contribution is always 'off' ; he is always a few seconds/inches late. He is not in the flow, not in the rythme — just like Kyle Broflovski when he tries to dance ! That's why I say he doesn't "understand" Defense (not in the sens "he's dumb"). And also, his positionning is off, too. That's imo wherein lies the difference between him, and players like Pedro, Iniesta and Xavi.

Good post and I know exactly what you mean. The least he should be able to do is close down passing lanes, perhaps Mourinho will be able to coach that into his game. He doesn't have the energy and intensity to be able to press for any substantial amount of time. Mourinho will have to find a way to at least make him less of a liability, if possible, than he is currently when we don't have possession.

No

Ozil actually works very hard.