Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

Like FB said, I'm hoping that this is just a bad period for him...Cech had a torrid time in the second half of 2008-2009, especially in the league, but came back to finish the season strong...with the highlight being the semi-final leg at Camp Nuo

17 hours ago, BlueLion said:

A fair point, but Cech had Terry and Carvalho, who, IMO, is the only defender in our recent history who you could say was better than Terry ever was, in front of him. Courtois has an ageing Terry and either a youngster in Zouma or a bang average defender in Cahill in front of him. A keeper really is only as good as his defence. Courtois isn't as good as Cech yet, but we shouldn't expect him to be. He's 23. He's better at 23 than Cech was, IMO. 

Courtois is better than Cech imo. Cech is a top goalie but I think from the time Courtois was at Atletico he had overtaken Cech and it was timef or him to be no.1. Although Cech has helped Arsenal this season, he has also made several mistakes. Arsenal's first game against West Ham. Both goals which West Ham scored were down to 2 huge errors from him. When they lost to Southampton 4-0, I would say he made poor error of judgemen's for at least 3 goals there.

Even in Arsenal's 2-1 victory over Palace earlier on in the season, the angle in which he let Joel Ward score,a  top goalie should really not be letting that in but luckily they held on that game. I think they have many similariites, but Courtois is better than Cech as a whole imo. But I would say both are prone to the odd mistakes. Cech more so.

I think Cech is better; maybe not now, but before this season. Courtois has let in some soft goals, i.e. both goals against west brom. I love courtois, and I really hope he gets back to form sooner rather then later.

Cech is an experienced keeper now, though. Remember when he was Courtois' age? I don't like how people are so fast to jump to criticise him when he lets in a goal. The defence in front of him should be doing better to protect him from having to concede those silly goals. 

I understand that everybody is pissed off because of our poor ranking and that people are thinking about the old times with the previous group of players. But that doesn't mean that every player is sh*t now and that every past player is better. Cech vs Courtois is a good example of that. Courtois played a great game versus Everton, but everybody is pissed off because we received 3 goals that were impossible to stop for Courtois (the last one could be stopped if he was lucky, but not having luck is not his fault) and everybody forgets he made 2 class saves. With a normal goalkeeper we would have received 5 goals, it's a disaster but it's not Thibaut's fault.

2 hours ago, DANILA said:

I think Cech is better; maybe not now, but before this season. Courtois has let in some soft goals, i.e. both goals against west brom. I love courtois, and I really hope he gets back to form sooner rather then later.

Yeah, 2 hard shots right in the corner. Goalkeepers should always save those. Imo people are seeing ghosts here. Letting simple balls (soft and in the centre) go in like De Gea did frequently in December, those are real mistakes. Not making a miracle save is not a mistake. He has made enough miracle saves, maybe people get used to it too much.

Again, reacting extremely fast and tapping balls out of the corner of the goal with his 2 metres body and his 10 metres arms may look easy, because he makes it look easy. But those are truely world class saves and not normal at all.

39 minutes ago, Tomo said:

One thing I got to say, that Flamini heel at the end that deflected off Mikel could have been a problem with another keeper, but his positioning was so good it wasn't even a remote issue.

De Gea would probably have been standing closer to centre of goal and been forces into a world class save which triggered a wankfest but Tibo won't get credit for making it look so easy.

Excellent positioning is what I loved about Cech too...really underrated skill. Prefer keepers who have excellent reading of the game and have good positioning, over those who just make gung-ho saves for the cameras.

One day Courtois will be better than Cech, but not right now. Courtois and his distribution is horrendous at times. Fantastic shot stopper but does need to develop his distribution skills. I was nervous on more than one occasion today watching him "command his area"

Just now, BlueLion said:

His judgement on crosses is horrendously poor at the moment. This worries me, as it is usually his biggest asset. 

and his distribution :D 

I was cringeing every time he went near it yesterday, and Cech still has that sureness about him. That said, still a young lad, and will be the best in the World one day

19 hours ago, chelseamabz said:

One day Courtois will be better than Cech, but not right now. Courtois and his distribution is horrendous at times. Fantastic shot stopper but does need to develop his distribution skills. I was nervous on more than one occasion today watching him "command his area"

his distribution was always poor but in saves and reflexes. Courtois is better