Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

46 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

I don't hate Courtois, I love the aspect of his game where he catches crosses, It's a very big help to our defense. But since he got injured, he's been beaten at the near post time and time again. I absolutely hate keepers to be beaten at the near post, in fact that's why I consider mignolet a terrible keeper, I hope Courtois brushes off this near post syndrome. 

He's been beaten twice or something like that, don't overreact.

Young keeper goes through a rough patch, big news...:P
He has to play as much as possible, even if that means taking some unlucky moments for example Cavani's goal, but he simply has to gain more and more experience,
he will come good in the end. Clearly he has to work on his delivery but De Gea got it under control why should it be impossible for Courtois?
Barca's young keeper Ter Stegen makes mistakes too, i think some people are way too critical, especially when there are some players out here who have been a lot worse!
I like Courtois, didn't think he had it in him to become a potential world beater. He is a hard worker, good on him. Potential future captain here!

46 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Quite overrated. Even at his best he still is big step behind best gks in terms of influence in matches.

I wouldn't say he's overrated, he just needs to have matches where he's unstoppable and not concede anything at all. 

For example, his best match is against PSG last season, he made so many saves but still conceded. Apart from the manutd 0-0 match where both him and degea were good, I'm struggling to remember a match where he made lots of saves and still kept a clean sheet. 

On 03/03/2016 at 11:50 AM, BlueLyon said:

Quite overrated. Even at his best he still is big step behind best gks in terms of influence in matches.

Tell that to Lingard, Martial and Herrera also Sterling, Lallana and Coutinho.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Tell that to Lingard, Martial and Herrera also Sterling, Lallana and Coutinho.

I guess Courtois is overrated in aspect that he is being compared to the likes of De Gea and Neuer. While Courtois is miles away from Neuer and especially De Gea.

On 03/03/2016 at 1:48 PM, Tautvix said:

I guess Courtois is overrated in aspect that he is being compared to the likes of De Gea and Neuer. While Courtois is miles away from Neuer and especially De Gea.

He really really isn't.

The only reason he doesn't make as many "for the camera" saved as De Gea does is because his positioning means he doesn't have too.

Take Welbecks goal on Sunday, I'd bet any money that Courtois in the same situation would have gobbled that ball up.

2 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Please name me 5 keepers at his age who you consider are better.
Personally speaking, i have problems coming up with the number.
Won the league in Spain and England, went on to the CL final, made some outstanding saves against the best players in the world, but is just 23 years of age.
Off the field he seems very mature: took responsibility and criticized his team mates for holding personal grudges against Jose and so on.

Yes, there are goalkeepers out there who are currently better than him, most of them are older, not in denial, but i can see him taking the number one spot in the future.
That has to count for something!

I think the expectations are way too high: Courtois is criticized for not being able to compete with the best, what i think is very harsh,
but do we have one player who is outstanding in his position? Who are we to demand such a thing?!
I don't see anyone at all. Most of the guys have been an utter disgrace so far, imo.
We aren't entitled to have world's best anymore, they go to Spain, Munich, Paris, Manchester and so on.

But i call ourselves lucky because i think Courtois is an outstanding goalie who has just been a bit 'unlucky'.
Really like this guy, that's not always been this way, back in 2012 i thought Cech is nailed on for the next 10 years, but looking at the performances, 
i can't complain about the switch.

57 minutes ago, Tomo said:

He really really isn't.

The only reason he doesn't make as many "for the camera" saved as De Gea does is because his positioning means he doesn't have too.

Take Welbecks goal on Sunday, I'd bet any money that Courtois in the same situation would have gobbled that ball up.

Same can be said that De Gea would kept Cavani shot...

Thing with Tibo is that he has awesome match like against Psg and then still concede stupid goal. Best gks would take that match to end as draw.

He is good GK but right now De gea and Neuer are better. Buffon too. Historicaly Cech, prime Casillas, Kahn etc are all doctors to Tibo. 

That said Tibo is realy young and will get among best no doubt. But atm he is just not a man that can win you game. 

48 minutes ago, Essien19 said:

Please name me 5 keepers at his age who you consider are better.
Personally speaking, i have problems coming up with the number.
Won the league in Spain and England, went on to the CL final, made some outstanding saves against the best players in the world, but is just 23 years of age.
Off the field he seems very mature: took responsibility and criticized his team mates for holding personal grudges against Jose and so on.

Yes, there are goalkeepers out there who are currently better than him, most of them are older, not in denial, but i can see him taking the number one spot in the future.
That has to count for something!

I think the expectations are way too high: Courtois is criticized for not being able to compete with the best, what i think is very harsh,
but do we have one player who is outstanding in his position? Who are we to demand such a thing?!
I don't see anyone at all. Most of the guys have been an utter disgrace so far, imo.
We aren't entitled to have world's best anymore, they go to Spain, Munich, Paris, Manchester and so on.

But i call ourselves lucky because i think Courtois is an outstanding goalie who has just been a bit 'unlucky'.
Really like this guy, that's not always been this way, back in 2012 i thought Cech is nailed on for the next 10 years, but looking at the performances, 
i can't complain about the switch.

Why at his age? He is already considered as one of best GKs in world, not just young. But completely agree, he has age on his side and his potential is scary. But Im talking about his performances now and not in five years. That said, if you want to compare GKs at his age; Cech was better at that age. Buffon was better at that age. One could say Casillas was better at that age too. Today, Oblak is doing realy well for Atletico too for example. Then you have De Gea who is 2 years older, but is having second realy good season.

Problem with Tibo is not quality, but consistency. Like kelz said, he can have awesome match and then concede stupid goal. Cant keep a clean sheet to save his life.

And I dont even blame Tibo for anything, Im just saying he is not as good as people point out. He is regarded world class. He is in very same bucket as Hazard or Matic or Costa, despite being the youngest. If those can get blamed week in week out for bad performances, so does Courtois. He is not playing good enough and deserves to get some stick. And I dont think Tibo is world class yet, but some here certainly do. And they refuse to blame Tibo for some mistakes, while shitting on Hazard or shat on Costa when he was out of form week in week out.

That said I have watched Cech for like decade and if Tibo gets anywhere close to him, Ill be more than happy.

On 03/03/2016 at 3:06 PM, BlueLyon said:

Same can be said that De Gea would kept Cavani shot...

Thing with Tibo is that he has awesome match like against Psg and then still concede stupid goal. Best gks would take that match to end as draw.

He is good GK but right now De gea and Neuer are better. Buffon too. Historicaly Cech, prime Casillas, Kahn etc are all doctors to Tibo. 

That said Tibo is realy young and will get among best no doubt. But atm he is just not a man that can win you game. 

De Gea let in similar against Monreal last season. Tibo makes things look easy that would be a problem for nearly every other keeper  due to his outstanding position play, take Flaminis backheel shot vs us, Courtois sensed the danger and got in a position were he could catch the ball, a lot of keepers would be in the middle and either let that in or be forced in a great save, Tibo may not have got the headlines for that but his play there was more impressive than a top for the camera save would have been.

Also I'm sorry but to say he doesn't win us games is ludicrous, the Carling cup semi vs Liverpool would have been about 6-1 on aggregate if it wasnt for him, he alone got us in that final, Leicester, Liverpool (league), Hull, QPR he made crucial saves with the scores tied and we went onto win, Burnley and Everton he made great saves when they were getting back in the game, and both games this season vs United we got a draw thanks to him (and at Old Trafford last season too). He also won Leti the copa del rey with a fantastic save.

The fact he has had a few great games and still conceded says more about the defence than it does about him, maybe he should have done better with Cavanis goal but equally the Uraguin should never have found himself through on goal in the first place.

Lol, if you want to see easy balls that go in De Gea had 15 of them this season so far. People are underrating Courtois atm because Chelsea has a bad season and because he is always unlucky to concede one goal. Also it's full of Cech fans in stead of Chelseafans here. Courtois is among De Gea and Neuer for sure, that he has a slightly less period to which people like to overreact doesn't change his status suddenly.

A lot of saves or interceptions that people never mention are among the best saves in the world. Like the ball he saved from Zlatan in the 90th minute 2 weeks ago. Balls like that are rarely saved, and certainly not by De Gea.

4 hours ago, Tautvix said:

He is now. I don't think there's much between De Gea, but Neuer is in a different league. The gulf wasn't as big while he was in Madrid.

3 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Why at his age? He is already considered as one of best GKs in world, not just young. But completely agree, he has age on his side and his potential is scary. But Im talking about his performances now and not in five years. That said, if you want to compare GKs at his age; Cech was better at that age. Buffon was better at that age. One could say Casillas was better at that age too. Today, Oblak is doing realy well for Atletico too for example. Then you have De Gea who is 2 years older, but is having second realy good season.

Problem with Tibo is not quality, but consistency. Like kelz said, he can have awesome match and then concede stupid goal. Cant keep a clean sheet to save his life.

And I dont even blame Tibo for anything, Im just saying he is not as good as people point out. He is regarded world class. He is in very same bucket as Hazard or Matic or Costa, despite being the youngest. If those can get blamed week in week out for bad performances, so does Courtois. He is not playing good enough and deserves to get some stick. And I dont think Tibo is world class yet, but some here certainly do. And they refuse to blame Tibo for some mistakes, while shitting on Hazard or shat on Costa when he was out of form week in week out.

That said I have watched Cech for like decade and if Tibo gets anywhere close to him, Ill be more than happy.

When Courtois was about to reach the milestone of 100 clean sheets I stumbled upon an amazing comparison ... Cech only had 37 clean sheets before the age of 23, Neuer 60, Buffon 62 and Casillas comes closest with 71 clean sheets before the age of 23 ... the least you can say about Courtois is that he's ahead of the curve (well over 100 clean sheets before the age of 23 ... 3x as many as Cech).

7 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Sure he has his flaws in his game and does 'stupid' things, he isn't perfect. For me, his start was simply perfect,
everything worked out very well, but ever since then the real progress hasn't come in yet.
Maybe the competition with Petr Cech forced him to significantly up his game, or it was just the new surrounding, don't know man.
He set the bar very high, but his current level is more than okay, i think the so-called 'stick' is a bit unfair.
Every mistake he makes can be lethal, that's the life of a goalie.

You're coming up with some huge names, comparing Courtois with some of the very best goalies the game
has ever seen is a huge honour in my eyes.
It could be the case that most of them were better at his age, there is no shame admitting to that,
but at his time he's still up there with the best.

Can you really rate this season's Courtois fairly?
I'm not talking about the managerial change, nor the inconsistency some of his co-worker have delivered so far, no,
but what shouldn't be left out of the equation is his injury, he was out for months!
Because of that i cut him some slack, difficult to fully recover, can take a long time, especially when it's his first serious injury.
Your aforementioned guys (Hazard, Matic, Costa and others) didn't have those problems, maybe it's harsh,
but some of us thought or still think they're just lazy.
You know the ability is there but for quite some time a lot of them weren't in the 'right mood' to play for the club and the fans,
in my point of view that's far more annoying.
For me, Courtois has been one of our better players so far, the real 'mistakes' can be counted on one hand,
not many Chelsea players can say that so far.

Okay, we're still conceding too many goals, but Begovic was also leaking them in for fun, yes, it's only up to a certain point his fault,
but still, i think Courtois is one of the reasons why we have found some stability in the defense department, still, could be better,
i give you that, mate. But i think we'll get there.

Back in 2008, Schalke 04 played against Porto, man, what a performance from Manuel Neuer,
in my view the German single-handedly won them the game. That supports your view that a goalie can 'win' you a game!
A few years later, we're in 2011, Schalke vs. Manchester United, again, how about that?!
One of the best goalkeeping i have ever seen in my life.
My point is, do you remember the result? 2:0 United, Schalke lost, but Neuer made some unbelievable saves.
Ferguson also had something to say about that night:

'In my time at United it's the finest display of goalkeeping against us,' Ferguson said. 'I'm sure there have been other feats but tonight I saw a really good one. He was incredible. We were getting frustrated towards the end of the first half and after his final save [of that half] I could see our players started walking back and a sense of frustration. That was something I had to address at half-time. But the Chicharito [Hernández] goal that was disallowed for offside [early in the second half] was the straw that broke the camel's back. It showed we could beat the guy ... but [it was] not easy.'

The term 'world class' has been used inflationary, at the moment i think the Premier-League doesn't have one single player that deserves this honour.

You made some good points and i understand them.
You're reasonable and fair with your assessment. No problem, mate.