Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

You think it's something we're going to see a lot more of though? The standard being set requires goalkeepers to be a lot more technically able.. Talking about coaching an entirely different way aren't we?

Absolutely, but the FA in particular want GKs to (arguably) be more proficient with their feet than with their hands, since 75% of a goalkeeper's workload is distributing long. Hence why Neuer is so celebrated. He's so proficient with his feet he's technically a centre midfielder. So coaches like me have to go back to the FA to be re-coached whenever a new initiative is launched. I was lucky enough to complete my UEFA B late in 2014, so after the change in the coaching syllabus, but my GK Level 1 (2011) and Level 2 (2012) are moreorless obsolete now based on their content. The courses change on a yearly basis.

Absolutely, but the FA in particular want GKs to (arguably) be more proficient with their feet than with their hands, since 75% of a goalkeeper's workload is distributing long. Hence why Neuer is so celebrated. He's so proficient with his feet he's technically a centre midfielder. So coaches like me have to go back to the FA to be re-coached whenever a new initiative is launched. I was lucky enough to complete my UEFA B late in 2014, so after the change in the coaching syllabus, but my GK Level 1 (2011) and Level 2 (2012) are moreorless obsolete now based on their content. The courses change on a yearly basis.

Your commitment to football is greatly commendable. I hope you go to the highest levels in coaching!

Your commitment to football is greatly commendable. I hope you go to the highest levels in coaching!

I've been able to juggle my commitments whilst doing my BA and MA at university - going to be harder as of the next academic year when I'm a full-time teacher, but it certainly is another string to my bow and I do really enjoy coaching my team. Can't stand managing teams though. That'll be the first commitment I drop. Love coaching, but the stress of a Saturday morning is turning me grey....

For me, Courtois>Neuer. He makes everything look so simple, I don't need a goalkeeper to give me heart attacks with his kamikaze actions.

Tibo gives us such a secure feeling at the back.

I think one can say that Courtois is a better allround keeper than Neuer was at his age.

But currently Neuer is for me the number one.

During a game there were rarely any shots on target, most of the time Neuer is just unoccupied.

I have seen both play in the arena.

Sometimes Neuer's action do look a bit kamikaze, but his aura and how he handles a game, sometimes he goes to the centerline are unbelievable for me.

When he comes out, most of the time it's the perfect moment and his saves, Benzema comes into mind, just brilliant.

Furthemore the games at Schalke against Porto and United were one of the best goalkeeping games ever, imo.

Neuer could play as a midfielder, that's just how good his footballing abilities are, at least for me.

Courtois is on the fast lane, if he can keep it up, he will most likely surpass him.

Agree to disagree.

Cheers.

@Essien19, @stroey, we can all agree that they are both world class and it´s a joy and a previlege to watch them both play, Neuer for me is the number 1, even if his methods are sometimes crazy, he´s 29 years old, has won it all (except Euro), he is at his prime, complete GK imo and Courtois is only 23 years old mind you, he will only get better with age and he is a beast already and has been since he was at a younger age, just like Neuer, and we are so lucky to have Courtois at Chelsea, just like we were with Cech at his best. For me in this last 5 years, the 5 best GK: Neuer, Casillas, Courtois, Cech, Buffon, in no specific order and i´m only referring to the last 5 years, i had the previlege to watch many top goalkeepers play in the past ( Kahn, Schmeichel, Barthez, Toldo, Van Der Sar, Canizares, Baia, etc. ). Cheers

One player Jose Mourinho certainly has no doubts over is Thibaut Courtois, who he rates as the best goalkeeper in the world. [Telegraph]

Jose Mourinho would chase Thibaut Courtois with any top European club who might be able to afford the 23-year-old goalkeeper. [Telegraph]

Courtois is a Mourinho type of player. He always works his ass off in training, only says positive stuff in the media and supports the other goalkeepers of the team with all his heart. Courtois has always been very positive about Mourinho in interviews. Those things mean even more to Mourinho than his class quality I think. I wouldn't be surprised if Courtois truely is the number 1 player on Mourinho's list for his next team. But we don't have to sell, and Courtois is not a trouble starter.

Courtois is a Mourinho type of player. He always works his ass off in training, only says positive stuff in the media and supports the other goalkeepers of the team with all his heart. Courtois has always been very positive about Mourinho in interviews. Those things mean even more to Mourinho than his class quality I think. I wouldn't be surprised if Courtois truely is the number 1 player on Mourinho's list for his next team. But we don't have to sell, and Courtois is not a trouble starter.

He certainly does not only says good things in the media. He says exactly what he wants to say. He burned the entire national team down on live television once, and he told Chelsea he wouldn't leave Atletico unless he became first choice at the Bridge. ;-)

He has been prone to a mistake or few since his return. I would seriously think of bring Begovic back into the starting XI if things don't improve

Tibos major weakness was always his handling. He almost never catches a ball and often parries it back into the danger area. Really should do better with such soft headers from far out. But Azpi, who has endured some torrid 2weeks, might have been a bit closer to Borini, even though that is a bit harsh.