Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

The problem is that Courtois and Cech can't be in the same team... Either one has to be sold or Courtois loaned out again and again.

This might be a wishful thinking but think with Mourinho around, we could have both Courtois and Cech in the same team for next season at the very least.

This might be a wishful thinking but think with Mourinho around, we could have both Courtois and Cech in the same team for next season at the very least.

How's that actually work? Do they get alternate games? One plays the first half, the other the second?

If we make the switch then it has to be done cleanly - Courtois is made number one and gets a proper chance to bed in and build a relationship with the team. The argument used to be that he was the better choice for the future, but there's a very strong case that he's the better keeper right now. Would Cech want to be the back-up too?

Nothing because everyone knew this was gonna have to happen some day while with Mata it is a bit of a shock because no one expected Jose to isolate Mata.

Imo Cech is a bit better in the air while Courtois is better on the ground and he is faster than Cech, probably because of age and injuries to Cech over the years.

Yeah but i was talking about that cech save vs manu and the courtois save vs madrid that are equal good for me, not about them in general ;)

Well, I think Chelsea fans should be happy about the news that have been circulating for the last couple of days: According to the German media ter Stegen is set to join Barcelona this summer (he rejected a new contract at Gladbach) which means the team that has been most interested in Courtois has its GK for the next decade. Just have to lock down Courtois with a new contract now.

How's that actually work? Do they get alternate games? One plays the first half, the other the second?

If we make the switch then it has to be done cleanly - Courtois is made number one and gets a proper chance to bed in and build a relationship with the team. The argument used to be that he was the better choice for the future, but there's a very strong case that he's the better keeper right now. Would Cech want to be the back-up too?

How surprising of you to just jump in with comments like that...

I'm inclined to agree with you on Courtois being our No.1 keeper but even if we are to go down that road, I don't see why Cech has to be discarded just like that. Like I said previously, maybe it's just a wishful or foolish thinking, but I don't think there would be too much of a problem to have both Cech and Courtois in the same team for next (one) season at the very least. Obviously, I don't think Cech would be too happy all of a sudden if he's to play second fiddle but it happened before him and Cudicini when Mourinho first arrived in 2004 and I would like to think Mourinho would be able to persuade Cech to stay for another season at least, assuming if this all will happen, because I don't think he's just gonna sell Cech off like that.

No doubt Courtois is talented and has proved his quality to deserve a shot on being first choice but he too would have to fight for his place here and making that No.1 spot his own. Moreover, think we all would feel safer assuming if Courtois is to be our No.1 and then having the safe hands of Cech as back-up. Some might argue that we should cash-in on Cech and have Schwarzer as the No.2 but not too sure how long more he wants to be playing. Even if he still want or can do so, it will probably only be 1-2 years and after that, we would have to find an experienced head from somewhere to be backup..

How surprising of you to just jump in with comments like that...

I'm inclined to agree with you on Courtois being our No.1 keeper but even if we are to go down that road, I don't see why Cech has to be discarded just like that. Like I said previously, maybe it's just a wishful or foolish thinking, but I don't think there would be too much of a problem to have both Cech and Courtois in the same team for next (one) season at the very least. Obviously, I don't think Cech would be too happy all of a sudden if he's to play second fiddle but it happened before him and Cudicini when Mourinho first arrived in 2004 and I would like to think Mourinho would be able to persuade Cech to stay for another season at least, assuming if this all will happen, because I don't think he's just gonna sell Cech off like that.

No doubt Courtois is talented and has proved his quality to deserve a shot on being first choice but he too would have to fight for his place here and making that No.1 spot his own. Moreover, think we all would feel safer assuming if Courtois is to be our No.1 and then having the safe hands of Cech as back-up. Some might argue that we should cash-in on Cech and have Schwarzer as the No.2 but not too sure how long more he wants to be playing. Even if he still want or can do so, it will probably only be 1-2 years and after that, we would have to find an experienced head from somewhere to be backup..

The Cudicini/Cech situation was very different. Cech wasn't in Courtois's position before he joined us for a starters.

I also disagree with the notion that we would all want Cech as the back-up. Yes he's a great keeper but having someone like that can cause problems when a new young keeper is trying to establish themselves.

As for me 'jumping in with a comment like that'...what the fuck? You suggested something and I asked how it would work. No reason for you to get all snotty about it for fucks sake. It might make sense on FIFA or FM to have two great keepers in the squad but in the real world there are real issues about how it actually works. Cech earns a fair chunk of change but also has a decent amount of value. Are you seriously suggesting we spend that much on a player who makes maybe 9 appearances a season as well as taking up a non-homegrown squad place?

How exactly does he 'fight for a spot' by the way? I've seen that notion thrown around here a couple of times but how does that work in practice?

I agree that we can't have both in the the same team. If Courtois struggles at all for a couple of matches the supporters would be calling for Cech and it could wreck his confidence.

Cech could go and start for just about anyone in Europe, so I don't see why he'd agree to it anyways. He'd just ask for a move I'd think.

The Cudicini/Cech situation was very different. Cech wasn't in Courtois's position before he joined us for a starters.

I also disagree with the notion that we would all want Cech as the back-up. Yes he's a great keeper but having someone like that can cause problems when a new young keeper is trying to establish themselves.

You speak as though Courtois is this young and fragile child that needs to be protected all the time. I don't see how that is gonna cause problems having those 2 around, unless of course Courtois can't handle the pressure despite supposedly displaying good level of confidence for one so young.

Moreover when Cech joined us, he didn't exactly have any issues of establishing himself ahead of Cudicini, did he?

As for me 'jumping in with a comment like that'...what the fuck? You suggested something and I asked how it would work. No reason for you to get all snotty about it for fucks sake. It might make sense on FIFA or FM to have two great keepers in the squad but in the real world there are real issues about how it actually works. Cech earns a fair chunk of change but also has a decent amount of value. Are you seriously suggesting we spend that much on a player who makes maybe 9 appearances a season as well as taking up a non-homegrown squad place?

Snotty? :lol: All I did was being sarcastic, which was what you did in the first place...

And again, you speak as though I have said we should keep Cech at the club for the next 10 years! I only said about possibly having those 2 for next season at the very least(!). I don't know whether we'll be having them 2 in the team after 2014/15 season but for the 2014/15 season itself, it's not exactly beyond possibility, is it? You speak of the possible issues it could bring and Cech earning big wages but yet doesn't seem to mention the benefits it can bring such as Courtois learning from Cech's experience.

How exactly does he 'fight for a spot' by the way? I've seen that notion thrown around here a couple of times but how does that work in practice?

For starters, in training and then arguably in pre-season matches. There's no guarantee he will come in and just fit into what Mourinho wants right away.

And just a question. Let's just say if Courtois does become our No.1 and Cech is sold, who do you think then can or would be our No.2? Schwarzer is a possibility but is he gonna continue playing after this season or wanna go elsewhere? Before anyone suggests Blackman, I doubt Mourinho is gonna have another young and inexperience GK as back-up.

You speak as though Courtois is this young and fragile child that needs to be protected all the time. I don't see how that is gonna cause problems having those 2 around, unless of course Courtois can't handle the pressure despite supposedly displaying good level of confidence for one so young.

Moreover when Cech joined us, he didn't exactly have any issues of establishing himself ahead of Cudicini, did he?

No, but Cudicini was injured (injured players find it hard to play because, well they're injured). He'd also become injury-prone in the season before Cech arrived, so once again different situations.

Snotty? :lol: All I did was being sarcastic, which was what you did in the first place...

And again, you speak as though I have said we should keep Cech at the club for the next 10 years! I only said about possibly having those 2 for next season at the very least(!). I don't know whether we'll be having them 2 in the team after 2014/15 season but for the 2014/15 season itself, it's not exactly beyond possibility, is it? You speak of the possible issues it could bring and Cech earning big wages but yet doesn't seem to mention the benefits it can bring such as Courtois learning from Cech's experience.

Ah yes, the old 'right click, tutor player' argument. Courtois is an established international, a European champions and possibly a league winner (fingers crossed) who will have played about 200 first-team games and be coming off of a World Cup.

Sorry if you thought I was talking about keeping Cech at the club for the next 10 years. I thought I made it quite clear that I could see very little use in keeping him for 10 days after Courtois arrived back at Cobham.

For starters, in training and then arguably in pre-season matches. There's no guarantee he will come in and just fit into what Mourinho wants right away.

Now this is laughable. In training, very maybe. I like how you say arguably in pre-season matches though - the only person who would argue that would be a very stupid little boy. Are you arguing that? Exactly.

Whatever was to happen in pre-season, it's still only pre-season. Goalkeepers are judged very differently from every other position on the pitch and the watchword is always stability. You want that guy in goal to be 'THE GUY', not 'THE GUY FOR TODAY, BUT MAYBE NOT NEXT WEEK'.

And just a question. Let's just say if Courtois does become our No.1 and Cech is sold, who do you think then can or would be our No.2? Schwarzer is a possibility but is he gonna continue playing after this season or wanna go elsewhere? Before anyone suggests Blackman, I doubt Mourinho is gonna have another young and inexperience GK as back-up.

Schwarzer signed for this club knowing Cech was number one. I've seen nothing to suggest he would go elsewhere. It's another spurious argument that holds little to no water.

There is a lot of middle ground between having Blackman as back-up and the financial costs associated with keeping Cech around.

Ah yes, the old 'right click, tutor player' argument. Courtois is an established international, a European champions and possibly a league winner (fingers crossed) who will have played about 200 first-team games and be coming off of a World Cup.

Ah yes, again you're dismissing the value of what experience can bring and what one can learn from it. Not denying that Courtois has those credentials you mentioned but even with that, that doesn't mean he is already god-like and can't learn anymore to be even better than he is right now.

Sorry if you thought I was talking about keeping Cech at the club for the next 10 years. I thought I made it quite clear that I could see very little use in keeping him for 10 days after Courtois arrived back at Cobham.

:lol:

Schwarzer signed for this club knowing Cech was number one. I've seen nothing to suggest he would go elsewhere. It's another spurious argument that holds little to no water.

There is a lot of middle ground between having Blackman as back-up and the financial costs associated with keeping Cech around.

I was asking a hypothetical question. You may be right, Schwarzer may stay beyond this season but then again, there is nothing to suggest the opposite won't happen. After all, he only signed a 1 year contract when he joined. So, I don't see how this is a spurious argument and all especially when it's a hypothetical question and one that could well happen.

Another reason is that he is into the final 2 years of his contract now and his father said he won't extend his deal if he isn't made number 1, not even a fight is up for debate atm. So either we use him or risk losing him for very small fee or eventually free in 2 years, our choice.

Another reason is that he is into the final 2 years of his contract now and his father said he won't extend his deal if he isn't made number 1, not even a fight is up for debate atm. So either we use him or risk losing him for very small fee or eventually free in 2 years, our choice.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the only way I see this happening. Courtious is in control of the situation. And this summer is the decider.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the only way I see this happening. Courtious is in control of the situation. And this summer is the decider.

Sounds to me like Thibaut's afraid of the competition! He wants assurances he is going to be the definite number 1? Those assurances should not, under any circumstance, be given. He should be made to fight for his place. If Cech stays and Courtois is benched, it'll be because Cech deserves his place.