Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

There is no doubt that he'll be the best keeper in the world in a few years. It'll be interesting to see how we deal with that situation but one thing is for sure - we can't lose him

Fabergas doesn't have a buy-back clause, he has a first-refusal clause and only happens when Barcelona accept an offer from another club and anyway Barcelona is Fabergas' home and a top, top team so if they want to keep him, they can. It's a very different thing. Nobody would pay a lot for a player who the club can then just get back whenever they want. (Unless the buyback clause is massive). This doesn't ever happen and it doesn't happen for a reason. It makes no sense for one club or the other or both. There are only three options for Courtois. 1) We bring him back as a starter (or at least to compete to be the starter) 2) We sell him. 3) We loan him out again and risk losing him. That's it. There's no magical option that let's us sell him and still have him.

The fee will drop but I don't think the fee will come down to a paltry amount like 5million with a buy-back clause like you're assuming. Vela wasn't an elite level talent and he went for 6mil with a 4mil buy-back clause. why did Sociedad agree to that?

and atm, Courtois is one of the top keepers in Europe. i think clubs will look to invest in him even if there's a buy-back clause. it may not be Atletico but Courtois will seriously upgrade the GK position in most clubs. Ofcourse, we won't get 25-30 for him then but 5mil is a loss on the original fee paid to Genk or somewhere thereabout, so i can't see that number ever being thrown around with regards to Courtois, even with a buyback clause

The fee will drop but I don't think the fee will come down to a paltry amount like 5million with a buy-back clause like you're assuming. Vela wasn't an elite level talent and he went for 6mil with a 4mil buy-back clause. why did Sociedad agree to that?

and atm, Courtois is one of the top keepers in Europe. i think clubs will look to invest in him even if there's a buy-back clause. it may not be Atletico but Courtois will seriously upgrade the GK position in most clubs. Ofcourse, we won't get 25-30 for him then but 5mil is a loss on the original fee paid to Genk or somewhere thereabout, so i can't see that number ever being thrown around with regards to Courtois, even with a buyback clause

Vela was 4M with a 4M buyback clause after 2 years on loan with the same club. The reason Sociedad did it is because they figured Arsenal didn't want him for free for the past 2 years despite having weaknesses up front, the chances of wanting him back are not great. Chelsea will 100% want Courtois back at some point. Besides, worst comes to worst, they have a free loan of a player that helps them. Who would benefit if Athletico bought Courtois for say 20M with a 20M buyback? It's just a loan. It's completely and utterly pointless for all parties involved. It's not going to happen.

A 4M loan is about what Chelsea wanted for Ba and

People who aren't Juventus fans (they'll consider Buffon the best even if his hands get blown off) generally seem happy to say he's the best goalkeeper in Europe - but who exactly outside of Europe is currently better than him? No one I can think of. Anyone else?

So, using simple deduction, can't we agree that Courtois is the best goalkeeper... in the world?

Now, sentiment aside, why in holy fuck would anyone hold onto a 31 year old goalkeeper (all due respect to Cech of course) when you have a 21 year old who's the best in his position? The last and possibly only other player to be the best in their position this young was Messi.

You just don't debate over players like Courtois. You just never consider selling them. If you do, you're a lunatic.

No truer words have been written in this thread. Absolutely spot on, couldn't have put it better myself.

Vela was 4M with a 4M buyback clause after 2 years on loan with the same club. The reason Sociedad did it is because they figured Arsenal didn't want him for free for the past 2 years despite having weaknesses up front, the chances of wanting him back are not great. Chelsea will 100% want Courtois back at some point. Besides, worst comes to worst, they have a free loan of a player that helps them. Who would benefit if Athletico bought Courtois for say 20M with a 20M buyback? It's just a loan. It's completely and utterly pointless for all parties involved. It's not going to happen.

A 4M loan is about what Chelsea wanted for Ba and

Chelsea have the goalkeeping position locked for say 4-5 years with Cech. Courtois would give 15, so it's a stupid long-term idea to sell him but If the club is unwilling to replace Cech now, they might as well sell Courtois with a buy-back option because as you said, at one point Chelsea will want Courtois back 100%. I don't agree that it doesn't make sense for a club to try and get Courtois with a buy-back clause included. The club will be getting one of the best keepers in the world and worst case, if Chelsea do take him back down the line, they'll reinvest in another goalkeeper.

People who aren't Juventus fans (they'll consider Buffon the best even if his hands get blown off) generally seem happy to say he's the best goalkeeper in Europe - but who exactly outside of Europe is currently better than him? No one I can think of. Anyone else?

So, using simple deduction, can't we agree that Courtois is the best goalkeeper... in the world?

Now, sentiment aside, why in holy fuck would anyone hold onto a 31 year old goalkeeper (all due respect to Cech of course) when you have a 21 year old who's the best in his position? The last and possibly only other player to be the best in their position this young was Messi.

You just don't debate over players like Courtois. You just never consider selling them. If you do, you're a lunatic.

A nice simple point, well made. :clap:

Besides the point that we might actually get an upgrade in a key position, installing Courtois as number one could have a massive impact on the attitude of younger players at the club. It would be a massive statement of intent, that if you prove yourself to be better than the next man then you'll get a shot regardless of age.

Chelsea have the goalkeeping position locked for say 4-5 years with Cech. Courtois would give 15, so it's a stupid long-term idea to sell him but If the club is unwilling to replace Cech now, they might as well sell Courtois with a buy-back option because as you said, at one point Chelsea will want Courtois back 100%. I don't agree that it doesn't make sense for a club to try and get Courtois with a buy-back clause included. The club will be getting one of the best keepers in the world and worst case, if Chelsea do take him back down the line, they'll reinvest in another goalkeeper.

You're trying to find a win-win situation for Chelsea and it doesn't exist. You're looking at this through the eyes of a Chelsea supporter and not being remotely realistic. What do you see as the breakdown of this deal? 10M sale? 10M buyback? Teams can buy top keepers for 10M straight out. It's more than Mignolet or Lloris cost. Why would any team spend that much on a loan? You're looking at this to try to get Chelsea to benefit but sales have to be mutually beneficial.In this situation, and this makes no sense for any club except Chelsea. Teams are not going to do Chelsea favours.

You're trying to find a win-win situation for Chelsea and it doesn't exist. You're looking at this through the eyes of a Chelsea supporter and not being remotely realistic. What do you see as the breakdown of this deal? 10M sale? 10M buyback? Teams can buy top keepers for 10M straight out. It's more than Mignolet or Lloris cost. Why would any team spend that much on a loan? You're looking at this to try to get Chelsea to benefit but sales have to be mutually beneficial.In this situation, and this makes no sense for any club except Chelsea. Teams are not going to do Chelsea favours.

I disagree. It's not totally unrealistic to think that the clubs can negotiate a buy-back clause during a sale

I disagree. It's not totally unrealistic to think that the clubs can negotiate a buy-back clause during a sale

It's highly, highly unlikely. The club buying him would need to be desperate to accept that because they wouldn't be able to plan long-term with such a clause. The player himself would almost certainly object because they'd probably want a lot more certainty in their career and you've also got to look at the situation at this club.

The fact is we own one of the best young keepers in world football and we're dithering about what to do with him.

It's highly, highly unlikely. The club buying him would need to be desperate to accept that because they wouldn't be able to plan long-term with such a clause. The player himself would almost certainly object because they'd probably want a lot more certainty in their career and you've also got to look at the situation at this club.

The fact is we own one of the best young keepers in world football and we're dithering about what to do with him.

that's true. the best long-term decision here is for courtois to replace cech but i have my doubts whether that will happen as soon as next season. hence, we should look at alternatives

How is it possible to be the goalie of the year in spain and not been selected for the FIFA top 5 goalies,while casillas and valdes are?

Once again names are more important than performances it seems.

Well, both he and Cech have been named as 2 of 4 of the best goalkeepers in Europe...(voted by UEFA)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2518005/Forty-best-players-Europe-SINGLE-England-player-UEFA-tell-really-think-chances-Brazil.html

• 3 weeks later...