David Villa

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take Villa in a permanent deal. Imagine then if we signed Falcao the following summer; Torres (sadly still at the club because Rom loves him), Villa and then Falcao. One hell of a strike force.

All this shit about his leg is crazy, people are wanting to sign Demba Ba over this guy but one bad injury to Demba's knee and hes possibly looking at a career change......... but yeah sign him anyway over David Villa who is the Spanish national team record goalscorer who is also better. Just because he broke his leg it means nothing... hes played for Barca this season and has scored a goal nearly every game or he had at some point. Guy still oozes class, I'd have him over most strikers we are linked with right now. Villa's game has never been about pace, its been about movement and being clinical, I'd sign him easily he'd last at least 3 years here.

Exactly. That's the thing, a player can easily get back to top form after a broken leg heals. It's more ligament injuries that fucks up a player's career it seems.

Ferguson doesn't care what gets paid. He won't sacrifice results just because a hefty fee was paid, as proven by his dismissal of Berbatov. Here at Chelsea managers are simple yes-men to the oligarch that finances this club.

This wasn't a dig at Roman by the way. Simply saying that there's an enormous pressure here to have the big-money player playing ahead of the ones that didn't command such a huge fee.

This wasn't a dig at Roman by the way. Simply saying that there's an enormous pressure here to have the big-money player playing ahead of the ones that didn't command such a huge fee.

The Chelsea board and a lot of Chelsea fans (and a lot of football fans for that matter) automatically think a player is world-class if he costs anything above 30 million, it seems.

For example, Oscar and Victor Moses. I'm a big fan of both, but there was a lot more excitement about Oscar's signing than there was Moses'. Most people had probably seen Oscar play one or two games in the Olympics but were watching Moses play every week in the BPL. Moses had proven he was a great player, even against top Premiership teams. But because we paid less for him, people naturally weren't sure about the signing (not everyone of course). Oscar cost us 25 million, so people assume he is a world-class player because of his price. I blame the media for this as there's always going to be more hype about a signing that costs close to 30 million pounds.

(No disrespect to Oscar, who I actually do think is a world-class player).

The Chelsea board and a lot of Chelsea fans (and a lot of football fans for that matter) automatically think a player is world-class if he costs anything above 30 million, it seems.

For example, Oscar and Victor Moses. I'm a big fan of both, but there was a lot more excitement about Oscar's signing than there was Moses'. Most people had probably seen Oscar play one or two games in the Olympics but were watching Moses play every week in the BPL. Moses had proven he was a great player, even against top Premiership teams. But because we paid less for him, people naturally weren't sure about the signing (not everyone of course). Oscar cost us 25 million, so people assume he is a world-class player because of his price. I blame the media for this as there's always going to be more hype about a signing that costs close to 30 million pounds.

Also I think the mystery helps. They haven't seen him play and he is costing quite a bit of cash to bring in. The novelty of a mysterious expensive player makes for a lot of excitment and buzz.

I often agree with you, but I think you are wrong in this one.

I think it is not the price that determines the player, but the other way around. I mean, someone pays 30mi for a player because they actually think they are worth it, so if a player goes for a high transfer fee, he has already proved he can do something good (Torres apart, but he is the exception of the exception, biggest flop in history). For me, that is where the expectation comes from...

Moses and Oscar wasnt the best of examples either, I personally had more expectations (this season) for Victor than Oscar, I dont know about other members. Oscar is not playing what he did in Brazil, you have not seen the real Oscar (not that he is Messi or anything, but he is way better than what he has shown in EPL) and people still identify him as world class. He will need at least 1 more year to show his true potential, Moses is much more ready. Both can ball and Moses (just like Dave) was a fucking bargain, but I trully think Oscar is the better player.

I blieved it is pretty acceptable the difference in hype and price for both of them.

I often agree with you, but I think you are wrong in this one.

I think it is not the price that determines the player, but the other way around. I mean, someone pays 30mi for a player because they actually think they are worth it, so if a player goes for a high transfer fee, he has already proved he can do something good (Torres apart, but he is the exception of the exception, biggest flop in history). For me, that is where the expectation comes from...

Moses and Oscar wasnt the best of examples either, I personally had more expectations (this season) for Victor than Oscar, I dont know about other members. Oscar is not playing what he did in Brazil, you have not seen the real Oscar (not that he is Messi or anything, but he is way better than what he has shown in EPL) and people still identify him as world class. He will need at least 1 more year to show his true potential, Moses is much more ready. Both can ball and Moses (just like Dave) was a fucking bargain, but I trully think Oscar is the better player.

I blieved it is pretty acceptable the difference in hype and price for both of them.

That's okay if you disagree with me. :) But I think you may have misunderstood me a bit. Or more likely, I wasn't clear enough.

I'm not suggesting for a second that the Chelsea board didn't do any research when signing Oscar. I don't even think they over-paid for him. But I think a lot of fans (not the Chelsea board) were more excited about Oscar because he was more expensive and the media hyped up that signing a lot (Oscar being Brazilian could have had something to do with people's excitement too. Naturally, most people get excited when they find out their team is signing a Brazilian, which is understandable of course).

There are also other factors to take into consideration of course. I'm not an expert on Brazilian football (so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here) but I was under the impression that Internacional are in a fairly healthy financial position. So they could have held on to Oscar for maybe another season. But there was a lot of pressure on Wigan to sell Moses. He had proven he had what it takes to do well in the BPL and he had ambition to play for a bigger club. If they had not have sold him, then they could potentially have had to deal with an unhappy player for at least another 5 months.

Regarding Oscar, I'm a massive fan of him, as my avatar suggests. :P Not just because he scored a wonder goal against Juventus, but I do catch the odd Brazilian Serie A game every now and then, and I was very impressed in every game I had seen him play. Then the Olympics, in which I was even more impressed (he was pretty much the star player of the tournament). Also, this season so far for Chelsea. He hasn't fully adapted to the style of play in the BPL yet, but he has shown many glimpses of his ability. But more importantly, in my opinion, his vision. And on top of all that, he seems to be very humble (always a nice trait in a young player). :)

EDIT: Fucking hell, I must be having a very boring day. Posting way too many long posts. :blink: Apologies for the unnecessarily long reply!

No, no, no. What's the point of signing Villa (if he's relatively cheap) then signing Falcao for mega-money? Then Falcao will be given more opportunities than Villa. I'm all for competition but if you sign one striker for under £20m then another for £50m, which one will the manager be more pressured to play?

Villa can play numerous positions, in midfield, on the wings, as a number 10 or as the striker. Falcao isn't bound to play every game as well, hes had injury problems in the past. Villa for 12-15 million would be a steal. Hes still a 30 million player in my eyes. He single handily fired Spain to the WC final in 2010 which isn't that long ago. Hes more than capable of performing at that level still. Having him, Torres and Falcao or whoever else we go for the summer will be brilliant.

Don't get why people see signing him then Falcao in the summer as such a pointless thing. Villa is also a more realistic target than Falcao, I see it more likely to happen than Falcao.

Price tags shouldn't assume if someone plays or not, look at City. Dzeko cost 27 million rots on the bench most weeks, Aguero cost 38 million has been on the bench this season, Tevez cost 25 million or something the same with him, Balotelli 21 million same with him etc etc.

Also going to throw this out there, David Villa > Falcao.

Villa can play numerous positions, in midfield, on the wings, as a number 10 or as the striker. Falcao isn't bound to play every game as well, hes had injury problems in the past. Villa for 12-15 million would be a steal. Hes still a 30 million player in my eyes. He single handily fired Spain to the WC final in 2010 which isn't that long ago. Hes more than capable of performing at that level still. Having him, Torres and Falcao or whoever else we go for the summer will be brilliant.

Don't get why people see signing him then Falcao in the summer as such a pointless thing. Villa is also a more realistic target than Falcao, I see it more likely to happen than Falcao.

Price tags shouldn't assume if someone plays or not, look at City. Dzeko cost 27 million rots on the bench most weeks, Aguero cost 38 million has been on the bench this season, Tevez cost 25 million or something the same with him, Balotelli 21 million same with him etc etc.

Also going to throw this out there, David Villa > Falcao.

I'm a huge David Villa fan but come on, when did he become capable of playing in midfield and the #10 position? He never even plays in those positions. He's a pure forward. He did a good job as a left forward in his debut season at Barca but he's a striker.

Dzeko and Balotelli haven't exactly been happy with their roles at City have they? And because of that, Mancini is forced to rotate constantly up front which has led to the forwards failing to get into a flow thus struggling with form.

Utd's case is different. Welbeck and Hernandez aren't 'stars'. But it's only a matter of time before they become unhappy if they remain back-ups.

And I doubt Villa would leave sunny Spain and Barcelona to fill the same role, the role of rotation player, at Chelsea, the role he apparently is unhappy with now. Unless we pay him a lot of money.. not really a good idea. There are plenty of options out there.

I see people talking about signing him on a loan. Is there even a single source that indicates that there is a possibility for this to happen?

There are sources that say we want him on loan, but as for possibility of it happening - not very high since Barca have said he won't leave in January.

I'm a huge David Villa fan but come on, when did he become capable of playing in midfield and the #10 position? He never even plays in those positions. He's a pure forward. He did a good job as a left forward in his debut season at Barca but he's a striker.

Dzeko and Balotelli haven't exactly been happy with their roles at City have they? And because of that, Mancini is forced to rotate constantly up front which has led to the forwards failing to get into a flow thus struggling with form.

Utd's case is different. Welbeck and Hernandez aren't 'stars'. But it's only a matter of time before they become unhappy if they remain back-ups.

And I doubt Villa would leave sunny Spain and Barcelona to fill the same role, the role of rotation player, at Chelsea, the role he apparently is unhappy with now. Unless we pay him a lot of money.. not really a good idea. There are plenty of options out there.

Hes played in MF for Spain, he played there for 30 mins vs Scotland and looked immense. Played there a few other times as well. He could play as a #10, hes a complete player and has all the attributes; creative, good passing and vision.

Guillem Balague on Villa....

http://sulia.com/channel/la-liga/f/b9030426-07af-46ec-a05c-e76285db7bc7/

First things first. David Villa is not going to Swansea in January. Other clubs are knocking his door but he doesn't plan to move this winter.

In the summer? That's a different story.

While Barcelona go from strength to strength, not everyone is happy with life at the Camp Nou. David Villa, once one of the hottest properties in world football, finds himself isolated and on the sidelines.

No stranger to adversity, David Villa’s career was almost over before it began when, as a four year old, the miner’s son broke the femur in his right leg. But intensive training with his father to strengthen his left leg meant he became ambidextrous.

Only recently recovered from a career threatening leg break sustained in a World Club Championship in Japan that cost him a place in Spain’s European Championship side, the down to earth good, proud, man from Asturias now finds himself unable to do what he likes doing best – scoring goals wherever he plays.

He didn’t even figure in Barcelona’s squad for their match against Athletico Madrid and Tito Vilanova said publicly that he doesn’t always has space for him. In fact he has not started in any of the big games this season.

So what’s the solution? His contract runs until 2014 and Barcelona would like him to renew it so that they can sell him in 2014 around about the time of the World Cup. But at 31, Villa is not getting any younger and he’s not about to hang around where he feels he is not wanted. He’ll be looking to leave this summer and with just one year left on his contract, a figure of about 15 million pounds should be enough to persuade Barcelona to let him go. Tried and tested strikers are a rare commodity and bearing in mind his proven ability in front of goal and, despite being over 30, there could be a fairly long queue of suitors from clubs from all over the world including the Premiership.

Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, United, Chelsea... This is your chance

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You