Kepa Arrizabalaga

Jase

Chelsea: Lots of fans slam Kepa after damming stat puts bad form into perspective

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/chelsea/chelsea-lots-of-fans-slam-kepa-after-damming-stat-puts-bad-form-into-perspective/

Lots of Chelsea fans have taken aim at Kepa Arrizabalaga after a stat has revealed how poor the Spanish goalkeeper has been for the club this season.

Stats from Odds Checker via CFC-Blues show that the 25-year-old shot-stopper has the worst save percentage out of any player in the Premier League this season, with Kepa having a poorer campaign than the likes of Norwich City keeper Tim Krul, Tottenham’s second-choice option Paulo Gazzaniga and Arsenal number one Bernd Leno.

Kepa’s form has dived off a cliff this season, with The Mirror reporting that Frank Lampard is leaning towards shipping off the young shot-stopper in the summer transfer window. The former Athletic Bilbao keeper was dropped last weekend in Chelsea’s 2-2 draw with Leicester City.

On 07/02/2020 at 6:35 PM, OneMoSalah said:

Being 25 y/o for a GK is still young. 

25 being young for a GK is a myth, especially these days. Most world class keepers are world class by the time they're 25.

They also decline earlier than people think aswell, look at how poor Cech and Casilas became and Buffon is a very very poor keeper at present.

Van Der Sar was the ultimate anomaly which has given a false narrative that keepers peak/last much longer, it isn't true.

On 09/02/2020 at 11:12 AM, Tomo said:

25 being young for a GK is a myth, especially these days. Most world class keepers are world class by the time they're 25.

They also decline earlier than people think aswell, look at how poor Cech and Casilas became and Buffon is a very very poor keeper at present.

Van Der Sar was the ultimate anomaly which has given a false narrative that keepers peak/last much longer, it isn't true.

the same goes for most other positions as well

just at an earlier age of around 30 or so

the fall-off is dramatic in all but a very few players

especially fullbacks and wingers

On 2/7/2020 at 6:35 PM, OneMoSalah said:

This whole Kepa isnt good enough thing is bullshit and just shows double standards. After Cech and Courtois it was always going to be a downgrade of somesort. People keep saying about having faith with younger players and a manager with relatively no experience but want to dump a GK, who is a hugely respected and well known talent around Europe, after a bad half a season. Last season he was consistent and played very well too.

Being 25 y/o for a GK is still young. Physically he could do with adding some muscle mass, I feel he isnt particularly strong at coming and claiming high balls from set plays and corners but again, De Gea was exactly the same (even worse IMO) at United before he put on some muscle mass. Kepa is lightweight but his reflexes, general shot stopping, distribution, communication and decision making is still very good for me and if he filled out a bit he would be better able or maybe be more confident in coming to claim high balls and command his area. 

The coaching behind the scenes really intrigues me, I didnt see this regression coming after last season under Sarri. I do think he has a lack of fonfidence in his defenders as well. 

Even Cech and Courtois showed signs of regression here too in periods but it didnt mean they were shit so its not like GKs are immune to performing badly or making mistakes either.

Looking for a long term replacement on a 71m GK as well? That is going to be difficult to sell to the board.

Kepa is a big problem. Super expensive and very difficult to move. He is not great at anything but quite poor in term of catching aerial ball and reaction time. 

Comparing him to Courtois made no sense. Courtois was outstanding, I have never felt that he will concede easy goals with Courtois that is for me is everything in gk. 

1 hour ago, communicate said:

Kepa is a big problem. Super expensive and very difficult to move. He is not great at anything but quite poor in term of catching aerial ball and reaction time. 

Comparing him to Courtois made no sense. Courtois was outstanding, I have never felt that he will concede easy goals with Courtois that is for me is everything in gk. 

But his last season here there were lots on here saying he was average and costing us matches...... particularly in the CL. Thats why I compared him to Kepa right now. Courtois is a world class keeper though and he has shown again this season after a difficult start at Madrid how good he really is. It just shows how fickle fanbases are and thats what I meant regarding Kepa who was ranked as better than Courtois by fans here last season....

1 minute ago, OneMoSalah said:

But his last season here there were lots on here saying he was average and costing us matches...... particularly in the CL. Thats why I compared him to Kepa right now. Courtois is a world class keeper though and he has shown again this season after a difficult start at Madrid how good he really is. It just shows how fickle fanbases are and thats what I meant regarding Kepa who was ranked as better than Courtois by fans here last season....

They were crazy if they think Courtois was a problem. Even Sarri wanted Courtois to stay although we all know distribution is not really courtois best strength. 

Kepa annoy me quite a bit. His reaction is just too slow for my liking. He can be weak at crossing like de gea but de gea shot stopping is world class (maybe not this season). Kepa is just too average at everything. 

15 hours ago, communicate said:

They were crazy if they think Courtois was a problem. Even Sarri wanted Courtois to stay although we all know distribution is not really courtois best strength. 

Kepa annoy me quite a bit. His reaction is just too slow for my liking. He can be weak at crossing like de gea but de gea shot stopping is world class (maybe not this season). Kepa is just too average at everything. 

You must of not watched Kepa or any of our games last season then.... hes had a bad half a season but last season he was pretty good which nobody seems to mention. Hes hardly too average at everything, hes regressed but theres been talk of new GK coaches for a while now and when Sarri left the one on his staff also left. If we sign a new GK but the GK coaching behind the scenes isnt pushing or improving the GK then it will be same again. Onana, although a pretty decent GK, seems to be flavour of the month but I really have my doubts whether he is a major improvement on Kepa or not.

On 09/02/2020 at 10:12 AM, Tomo said:

Missed this post when you replied. Not sure how I did but I did.

I am not 100% sold on 25 not being young for a GK because in terms of their playing careers they can still play at the top level to they are late 30s compared to outfield players bar the exceptions who seem to decline before their mid 30s.

Other than Neuer, Courtois, de Gea, Oblak, Alisson, Lloris and ter Stegen in recent times I havent thought of many world class GKs by the time they are 25 in the last 10 years for say, probably missed a few, would say Cech as well is definitely in there but he would been older, again, wouldnt say there are lots and lots of them. Ederson could be in there too but I have seen some issues in some games hes played where he has conceded some goals youd expect him to save.

Yes Cech and Casillas regressed but again those 2 had been at the very very top for close to 15 years at least and that consistency is difficult to maintain for a lot of players regardless of position never mind throwing in injuries over time too. Buffon who is now 42, few years ago before going to PSG, he was still putting in very impressive performances in the CL in for Juventus the year they made the final and the season afterwards. Even Neuer who was outstanding for Schalke and Bayern over a period, had a bad injury and people thought he was finished when he still has plenty of life left in him.

I still have huge faith in Kepa, it just takes a string of matches where he plays good to come out of this slump. Just as it does with any player and starting with the United game tonight, who knows? I mean look at the developement of Woijech Szczesny, he is now a very good GK imo and it took him until he was maybe 26 before he ironed out huge flaws and became a very very reliable GK in Serie A. Keylor Navas went to Madrid aged 27 or 28 and Claudio Bravo particularly had a late resurgence to the top level as well when he went to Barca probably in his 30s. Alisson also didnt become very well renowned as a GK in Europe until 2017 as well. He would of been 25 or 26. Samir Handanovic only got real recognition as a geniune top level GK when he was around 27 or 28 as well around Europe. 

They may decline earlier but it depends on different circumstances, I dont think the majority of world class GKs are established as world class by 25 though. As I mentioned I maybe missed a few in that list but in the last 10 years particularly I cant think of many GKs who had it all by age 25 bar the Oblaks, de Geas, Courtois, Ter Stegens, Neuers etc.

10 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

You must of not watched Kepa or any of our games last season then.... hes had a bad half a season but last season he was pretty good which nobody seems to mention. Hes hardly too average at everything, hes regressed but theres been talk of new GK coaches for a while now and when Sarri left the one on his staff also left. If we sign a new GK but the GK coaching behind the scenes isnt pushing or improving the GK then it will be same again. Onana, although a pretty decent GK, seems to be flavour of the month but I really have my doubts whether he is a major improvement on Kepa or not.

I think I watched more of Chelsea games last season than this season. Not sure anything change. The only thing that impress me with  kepa is his distribution, he is pretty good at passing the ball with both feet. 

1 hour ago, killer1257 said:

Kepa made various mistakes this season. But Willy was not at fault for the goals. Some great finishing with bad defending from our side.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

Kepa was dropped after Arsenal game, and he was not at fault for goals there.

6 hours ago, killer1257 said:

Kepa made various mistakes this season. But Willy was not at fault for the goals. Some great finishing with bad defending from our side.

Caballero not at fault for the goals? He definitely was for Leicester's 2nd goal. Our defence is already unstable as it is but what did he do back then? Ran out of his line for a cross that never gonna be his, which caused even more panic, and then ran back to get back into position, only to see the ball flied past him into the goal. 

I know Caballero being bad doesn't mean Kepa is great but putting Caballero into the XI was supposed to make us feel more safe, more secured, more assured defensively but so far, has there been any difference? Still looking unstable as ever and Caballero has conceded 4 goals from 7 shots he's faced in the last 2 league games and none of the 3 saves are even outstanding saves from what I remember. 

Caballero not at fault for the goals? He definitely was for Leicester's 2nd goal. Our defence is already unstable as it is but what did he do back then? Ran out of his line for a cross that never gonna be his, which caused even more panic, and then ran back to get back into position, only to see the ball flied past him into the goal. 
I know Caballero being bad doesn't mean Kepa is great but putting Caballero into the XI was supposed to make us feel more safe, more secured, more assured defensively but so far, has there been any difference? Still looking unstable as ever and Caballero has conceded 4 goals from 7 shots he's faced in the last 2 league games and none of the 3 saves are even outstanding saves from what I remember. 

Sorry, I meant Willy was not at fault for yesterdays goal.

Lampard picking a 38-year-old ahead of £71.6m Kepa is quite some statement

https://theathletic.com/1613998/2020/02/18/chelsea-kepa-dropped-caballero-lampard/

There are many people connected to Chelsea who have cause to be worried about the future at the moment, but few have more reason to be concerned than Kepa Arrizabalaga.

Kepa had to watch from the sidelines as Manchester United made another significant step toward Champions League qualification at Chelsea’s expense on Monday night. To make matters worse, compatriot David de Gea surely edged closer to beating him in their personal duel to be Spain’s No 1 at Euro 2020.

The controversy surrounding three VAR decisions took centre stage in the immediate aftermath of United’s 2-0 victory at Stamford Bridge. The significance of the away side closing to within three points of Chelsea was understandably a focal point as well.

Yet there is no doubt that this was a very humbling occasion for the world’s most expensive goalkeeper – who signed a seven-year contract when his world-record transfer was agreed back in 2018.

For all the talk from coach Frank Lampard beforehand that Kepa had responded well to being left out against Leicester City before the winter break, it still wasn’t enough for him to regain a starting berth.

Indeed, Lampard didn’t take long to make up his mind over who would stand between the posts last night, having decided to keep faith with Willy Caballero before the weekend.

This has to be regarded as a greater humiliation even than the one experienced at Leicester. Chelsea versus Manchester United may not be the occasion it once was but it still attracts a vast global audience. Yet the only contribution Kepa made to it was in the warm-up.

kepa caballero chelsea manchester united

Lampard’s explanation for Kepa’s omission ahead of the fixture was quite damning. “It is not an easy decision, of course,” he explained to Sky Sports. “But like every player in the squad, I have to go on form; from what I see on the training ground, what I see off the pitch and what I see mainly in performance as well. I have just gone with that.

“I went with that with Willy before. It doesn’t mean anything long-term, it means we have to be competitive here. People have to show. I think Willy has been a fantastic professional, trains really well.

“He came in against Leicester and made a couple of really good saves in the game. I know the spotlight is on keepers more than any position. It is just a decision and we move on.”

But it is hard to see how Kepa moves on from here. Caballero couldn’t be blamed for the two goals he conceded against Manchester United so, given Lampard’s current assessment of the situation, has to be in line to face Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday as well.

Caballero is in his third season at Chelsea and has become a very popular figure within the squad. His ability to speak Spanish and English means he can converse well with all their players. At 38, though, he isn’t the long-term option — that is supposedly the role of Kepa, who is 13 years younger.

Kepa’s level of English has improved since joining from Athletic Bilbao for £71.6 million in August 2018 and The Athletic revealed earlier in the season that he has become more of a leader in the dressing room.

Sources have confirmed that, as Lampard stated, Kepa has responded professionally to being dropped but hasn’t been quite as upbeat around the camp.

kepa chelsea leicester bench

Unsurprisingly, the Spain international was very subdued when he took to the pitch on Monday night to go through some pre-match drills with Caballero, third-choice Jamie Cumming and goalkeeping coach Hilario.

Caballero had given an early indication he would be involved by walking out to inspect the playing surface with Pedro and Marcos Alonso 90 minutes before kick-off. He appeared calm and relaxed, cracking the odd joke with his team-mates.

By the time Kepa took to the field for the first time to join in the goalkeeping exercises 45 minutes later, the news had emerged that Caballero was in the starting line-up.

Body language can always be read a number of different ways and Kepa participated as any senior player would as Hilario tested all three keepers in turn on passing, collecting crosses and stopping shots. Yet there seemed little joy in his work and there didn’t appear to be many words exchanged with anyone.

While Caballero ran off to get ready with intent, sharing a passionate embrace with Hilario before going down the tunnel, Kepa headed to the dressing room afterwards almost unnoticed.

Normally when a high-profile figure is left out, the crowd show their feelings on the matter. So it must have stung Kepa to hear Caballero’s name cheered loudly when it was read out just before the whistle. There was also warm applause from the Matthew Harding End, which could be seen as Chelsea fans endorsing Lampard’s selection.

Caballero’s standing among the players was also clear to see as he exchanged emotive words of encouragement, high fives and hugs with all of them.

Lampard’s stance has to be regarded as a brave one under the circumstances. It is all very well leaving out such a costly recruit when results are good, but Chelsea have now picked up just 15 points from their last 14 matches.

But this is not the first time Lampard has made a bold call that could be frowned upon in the boardroom. Christian Pulisic, who joined from Borussia Dortmund last summer for £57.4 million, was omitted on a regular basis in the first few months of the campaign.

The manager made it clear in his pre-match press conference he would not take Kepa’s transfer fee into account when choosing the side. But picking a pushing-40 free-transfer signing ahead of him is still some statement.

Kepa has become a bit of a scapegoat among the fans for Chelsea’s inability to keep a clean sheet this season but Caballero’s inclusion has not improved matters as the team have conceded four goals in two fixtures.

Caballero was perhaps partly to blame for one of Leicester’s goals in the 2-2 draw in their previous game, but Chelsea’s problems at the back run a lot deeper than just one position.

They have conceded 36 times in 26 matches — only the 10th best record in the division. They have only five clean sheets (which ranks them 16th in the Premier League), have let in seven goals from corners (16th) and five from fast breaks (19th).

Such a dismal return is not down to the goalkeeper alone. Caballero certainly could not be blamed for failing to stop headers by Anthony Martial and Harry Maguire — the United duo climbed above Chelsea defenders Andreas Christensen and Antonio Rudiger respectively far too easily.

Kepa’s form and subsequent omission against Leicester has already sparked a lot of debate back in his homeland. He looked on course to be first choice at the European Championship this summer having started four of Spain’s qualifiers to De Gea’s two between September and November.

De Gea has hardly been looking assured for several months himself, although he had only one shot on target to face from Chelsea (not including the two goals disallowed by VAR). But obviously being in a team is better than not being involved at all, so Kepa has to be feeling anxious ahead of Spain’s friendlies against Germany and Holland in March.

With increasing suggestions that Chelsea are looking at Burnley’s Nick Pope and Andre Onana of Ajax to replace him in the summer, Kepa needs to convince Lampard of his quality as soon as possible.