test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Special Juan

The Conte Thread

Started by Special Juan,

8,573 posts in this topic

Hopefully they realise.. Even linked with players who are cup tied it shouldn't be a put off.. Seeing as we aren't likely to go far and out focus needs to be still being in the cl next season.. Sadly looks like another pointless window 

Pizy likes this

Conte has become so predictable its become painfully unfunny. I hate to say I did but I did call this on Wednesday when I posted this on this thread:

"I won't be surprised if he continues with the 3-5-2 in our next match against Leicester. He really is a very stubborn manager who loves to prove himself right."

There are several reasons why this formation isn't working. I don't know what point he's trying to prove but its only going to lead to his demise here. 

FabHazard and manpe like this

Not sure what's worse - watching us bore our way to a 3rd 0-0 draw within a week or reading the stupid, drivel comments from the fans after the game (I don't necessarily mean you lot here).

@manpe mentioned this the other day - plenty of irony in fans calling for Conte (or the manager in general) to be sacked when we hit a tough period and then later wonder why the club are so trigger happy. Some might argue that we have done this in the past with decent success but at some point, the novelty of that will run out, if not already. Why would any saint manager want to come here if they know they will face the sack when hit a bad period and worse of all, have a pathetic, average squad to work with?

Has Conte made bad decisions? Yes. Does he deserve to be criticized? Yes. Should he be sacked? No. But we will probably do it, won't we? Have been repeating this for ages but the manager can only do so much because at the end of the day, this squad is extremely average. I mean, just look at that last shot from Moses against Leicester earlier. That's how bad this squad. We can sack Conte and hire Sarri, Allegri, Tuchel or whoever but they aren't gonna be successful year in year out if the board don't invest, never mind not giving what the manager wants.

Also, people need to make up their mind about who's at fault for our current problems. One week, it's because Willian, Bakayoko etc are shit. Next week, it's because of Conte. Which is it? If you can see them lacking the quality already, why even moan about the formation? People like to moan about it as if a simple change of formation will spark an upturn in form out of the blue (last season was down to because no one knew how to counter it in the early stages). No formation change is gonna suddenly make the players become the Brazil, Ajax or Milan or yesteryear. It's also silly that people praise the players and not Conte for getting it right when we win but put all the blame on Conte when we don't.

Miki-Liki and Laylabelle like this

Agree! That the problem people won't want to come into the job here. Except to work miracles with what is a average squad and then when shock horror doesnt work they get the sack. We should offer one year contact's from now on. Save the hassle! 

Agree he definitely isn't blameless as it's who he chose and the tactics etc etc but he ain't a sodding magician. Players who should be performing just aren't.. Except it seems most rather then a few.. The price tags aren't paying off

Lots and lots of Chelse fans on Twitter calling for Conte to be sacked. Don't think it's got nearly to that level yet.

I feel for him that in every press conference where he receives question after question about signings and he has to reiterate that he's only the coach and doesn't deal with transfers. He has been hamstrung by the club since arriving.

Perfect aligning of the stars to win the league last season has papered over the cracks in a big way. Just like winning it the last time under José clouded the judgement of our board into thinking we could go again with the same squad, they thought that we didn't need top quality additions to defend this last title.

Laylabelle and manpe like this

I just posted a lengthy comment on what I feel Conte is doing wrong and it never posted. Pretty frustrating:

Anyway here is a shortened version.

6 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Lots and lots of Chelse fans on Twitter calling for Conte to be sacked. Don't think it's got nearly to that level yet.

I feel for him that in every press conference where he receives question after question about signings and he has to reiterate that he's only the coach and doesn't deal with transfers. He has been hamstrung by the club since arriving.

Perfect aligning of the stars to win the league last season has papered over the cracks in a big way. Just like winning it the last time under José clouded the judgement of our board into thinking we could go again with the same squad, they thought that we didn't need top quality additions to defend this last title.

That's what I don't get. Soon as the window opened so so many people could see we needed players and although we won the league there was obvious cracks paved over.. Then not a lot done and now we're back here again.. If fans could see it why couldn't they! Or did just didn't act.. 

Like, you can watch our team for just one match and pick out the obvious 2-3 areas that need reinforcement/upgrades. It's so obvious to us fans and I'm sure to the manager, but the club do nothing about it. Makes me want to pull my hair out.

It's like you know you have some holes in your boat and notice yourself slowly sinking but doing nothing about it.

Conte says we're showing "great (defensive) solidarity". I think he must've missed the first half. He also says that "we must improve our shots from outside the box to score," because that's of course the most probable way of scoring...

Also about transfer targets: Conte wanted Bakayoko and well, here we are. The board are at fault for not buying top players, not for ignoring Conte targets.

DYC. likes this

(1) Hazard off after 60 mins. Rightly or wrongly, even Mourinho knew to never sub him off. 

(2) No more 3-4-3 despite this system bringing us so much sucess last season. Conte seems more concerned in shoehorning Bakayoko into the team!

(3) Pedro underutilized despite having a fantastic last season. He offers us something different with his longrange shooting, ability to make runs in behind and is a goal threat (unlike Fab/Willian)

(4) Bakayoko keeps on playing Bakayoko+Kante (or Kante+Drinkwater) and 5 defenders behind them. This is insanely negative. Think of it this way. When Leicester won the league with basically counter-attacking football, they played Kante + Drinkwater in a midfield 2 in a 4-4-2. Conte's set up is even more negative than Leicesters.

(5) What is Conte afraid of? Play 7 defensive minded players at home to Leicester and complain about attacking play lol.. What attacking play can you produce with Rudiger, Cahill, Azpilicueta, Moses, Alonso, Kante and Bakayoko? Teams who play attacking football and open up the opposition with their movement and fluidity don't play 7 defensive minded players. Sorry.

(6) 3-5-2 is isolating Hazard. This is blatantly obvious. Initially Hazard got some joy in this 3-5-2 (away from home) where he was offered more space on the counter. Initially I wanted to only see a 3-5-2 away from home or in big games but right now I don't want to see it anymore. It just doesn't get the best out of our players and limits us too much in attack. Conte is taking it one step further and playing it as our main formation now. Our best performances have come with a 3-4-3. Especially at home. Teams are just packing the midfield now and Hazard has nowhere to go. Then he subs Hazard off like it's entirely his fault. Strange.

(7) And no one to play with since Fabregas can't dribble past players and use his pace to make runs behind and stretch a defense like a Pedro Can. Everything Fab does is infront of the opponents midfield and defense. 

(8) Conte gets paid millions of pounds to figure this things out. But he's being stubborn, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definiton of insanity. I'm not saying he's insane but he needs to show more creativity in his coaching. Right now he's looking like the negative manager Mourinho branded him last season.

I'm back on my long post shit again lol. Had to break this one up. But that's how frustrated I am with what I'm seeing. 

You can be 100% sure that Conte hands the club a list with targets he wants in the transfer windows and they sure as hell aren't the players we end up with. Even ones who have worked out well have clearly not been his top choices. The club just goes "Nope. Here's someone who plays the position of the target you wanted but is much cheaper." Yeah, much cheaper and not close to as good.

3 minutes ago, Pizy said:

You can be 100% sure that Conte hands the club a list with targets he wants in the transfer windows and they sure as hell aren't the players we end up with. Even ones who have worked out well have clearly not been his top choices. The club just goes "Nope. Here's someone who plays the position of the target you wanted but is much cheaper." Yeah, much cheaper and not close to as good.

The problem is that the so called cheaper players we sign aren't really that cheap. To put things into perspective, Zappa cost us 23m while Barca signed Nelson Semedo for 26m! Ricardo Perreira also had a similar release clause in his contract. We signed Baka and Drinkwater for 40m and 35m respectively while the likes of Tolisso (42m), Seri (35m), Goretzka, Torreira, Ceballos (12m), Dahoud (10m) could have been had for much less than what we paid for Baka with only Tolisso costing more.

The Chels, manpe and Pizy like this

16 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Here's who you want... Here's who your getting lol surprise!!! 

5 minutes ago, Mufassir08 said:

The problem is that the so called cheaper players we sign aren't really that cheap. To put things into perspective, Zappa cost us 23m while Barca signed Nelson Semedo for 26m! Ricardo Perreira also had a similar release clause in his contract. We signed Baka and Drinkwater for 40m and 35m respectively while the likes of Tolisso (42m), Seri (35m), Goretzka, Torreira, Ceballos (12m), Dahoud (10m) could have been had for much less than what we paid for Baka with only Tolisso costing more.

Very true. No one can tell me he wanted Zappacosta as his top choice. Or Drinkwater. Or Barkley. Or Batshuayi.

Like I mentioned, even players who have been solid like Alonso and Rüdiger weren't his first choices. Alonso was a last minute panic buy after we couldn't get whoever else we were after that summer. Rüdiger was who we settled for when we couldn't get Bonucci, Koulibaly, etc. Zappacosta was a last minute panic buy who was probably our 6th choice fullback. Drinkwater the same. Barkley was the clearest club purchase yet. Our shiny new #9 wasn't even Conte's top choice, FFS!

I mean come on, at least give him the #1 choice every once in a while! Mourinho and Pep have gotten just about every single player they've asked for since they've arrived in Manchester. United would've gotten Griezmann for sure had Atleti not been given that transfer ban. Conte isn't given that luxury.

manpe likes this

I can't forget the round of "victory" made by Avram Grant at Stamford Bridge after finishing the last game of the season in which he "trained" Chelsea (07/08). He of course led the team to ... nothing, but the fans, many of whom are sheeps with little understanding of football, applauded him and called his name. In contrast, Roman Abramovich had already understood that this was a fraud, that he had been stung by an opportunist, and therefore informed Grant of his dismissal immediately after the season.
Since Avram left, there have been all kinds of impostors like Scolari, AVB, Benitez, but we got rid of them before they managed to destroy every good part.

This time, however, I am concerned. Because Chelsea's "coach" today - the one that comes up against small teams with two attacking players and when its doens't work, he replaces them instead of strengthening them - is the perfect deceiver. . A person who claims to be a coach, even though he has zero connection to this profession. In contrast to Grant - a fat Israeli, without a game career behind him and achievements in the coaching world - Conte is Italian. His hair transplant succeeded beyond expectations, he celebrates the goal that Chelsea scores once a month together with the fans in a kind of happy party, he was a good player, and apparently also achieved some things in Italy as a coach, although he had no serious competitor in the league - just like a year ago in England. He's even nice and smiling at the press conferences. You can't not to love him.

Actually you can, if you simply ignores the distractions and examines him by results, the team's ability on the field and players he bought. If he had been judged only by those criterions,. every could see how bad he is. chelsea is scoring like a weak mid-table team. If the fans had judged the product in front of them, they would have seen that the players have no desire, the players that Conte bought-the dreadful Bakayoko, instead of Matic and even more dreadful Morata instead of Costa- are a shocking incomes...  

The journalists pointed out that only an injury causes conte to make a substitution before the 65th minute (regardless of the game situation) and that almost all the players are not fit and the person who is responsible for their fitness comes out clean again and again. And above all, Roman Abramovich would have realized that for 10 million pounds per year (conte's Salary),  and 70 million pounds for Morata, he deserve far more than he gets.
The question is whether he will wake up in time, understand that he is being tricked, and send home the impostor  - or he will understand it only when Chelsea will finish out off the Top 4 and will not play in the Champions League next season.

3 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Very true. No one can tell me he wanted Zappacosta as his top choice. Or Drinkwater. Or Barkley. Or Batshuayi.

Like I mentioned, even players who have been solid like Alonso and Rüdiger weren't his first choices. Alonso was a last minute panic buy after we couldn't get whoever else we were after that summer. Rüdiger was who we settled for when we couldn't get Bonucci, Koulibaly, etc. Zappacosta was a last minute panic buy who was probably our 6th choice fullback. Drinkwater the same. Barkley was the clearest club purchase yet. Our shiny new #9 wasn't even Conte's top choice, FFS!

I mean come on, at least give him the #1 choice every once in a while! Mourinho and Pep have gotten just about every single player they've asked for since they've arrived in Manchester. United would've gotten Griezmann for sure had Atleti not been given that transfer ban. Conte isn't given that luxury.

Our transfer and scouting strategy must change drastically. The past three summers have set us back considerably. Literally the only transfer which dignifies our horrible transfer activity is of Kante. God knows how we managed to land him given our subpar transfer dealings.