The Conte Thread

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

And the team bottom of that list have been the most consistent team in this league for the last few years (despite not winning it) and the most well balanced aswell. Conte did an absolutely unbelievable job last season, even better than Jose's work the first time but this season he is making silly mistakes and the transfer window can only cover his arse to a point. Don't get me wrong, i am not for a second saying he should go last season gives him enough credit in the bank for quite some time unless we hit a 15/16 or even 10/11 rut, but he needs to wake up because this squad while flawed are not as bad as what's been shown this season.

Spurs don't win trophies though. They've won nothing in a decade. Consistency and balance means nothing without silverware to show for it. Sure, you can debate who the better manager is Pochettino or Conte and how Pochettino will potentially do with more resources to spend but I don't think Spurs are the team we should be looking at as any sort of model. 

Just now, MrExcalibur100 said:

Spurs don't win trophies though. They've won nothing in a decade. Consistency and balance means nothing without silverware to show for it. Sure, you can debate who the better manager is Pochettino or Conte and how Pochettino will potentially do with more resources to spend but I don't think Spurs are the team we should be looking at as any sort of model. 

If we finished 2nd with 86 points in the Pre Roman era but only lost out because United were even better, we would have probably given whoever our manager was the freedom of Kings Road.

They haven't yet won trophies however law of averages suggest's they will eventually if they keep up what they are doing and because of Pochettino's coaching they are set for years and can compete against teams with heavier financial backing. I don't think Pochettino is better than Conte but i can't imagine he envisioned no signing's until deadline day and i'm certain he had better players in mind than Llorente, Aurier and Sanchez, but he got on with it and has even turned the latter into a key player. I'm not expecting the title again, but we have got the players to be playing better than what we have been treated too this season and i think Conte deserves his fair share of the blame for that.

If the rumours are true and he's decided this is his last season here, then what is he gaining by going on and on about the transfer window? He might aswell focus his energy into going out in a blaze of glory as he would be in a no lose situation (as shown with AVB and Jose, even if you fuck up beyond recognition at Chelsea it doesn't affect your future job prospects).

If Conte goes within the next 6 months it likely means we go back to a former manager (Ancelotti, Guus) or we take a massive risk on an up and comer from a medium sized club and have to start over with yet another rebuild. New tactics, new playing style, new personell needed, current players moved on. It would set us back years at a time when at least 3 PL teams (United, City, Spuds) will have had consistency and years to build. We could become like Liverpool or Arsenal have been recently - bang average and fighting for 4th.

It would be disastrous. I'm praying we can turn things around and Conte stays for years. If we can stay in or around the Top 4 until the winter window opens and bring in a quality signing or two it'll help massively.

9 minutes ago, Pizy said:

If Conte goes within the next 6 months it likely means we go back to a former manager (Ancelotti, Guus) or we take a massive risk on an up and comer from a medium sized club and have to start over with yet another rebuild. New tactics, new playing style, new personell needed, current players moved on. It would set us back years at a time when at least 3 PL teams (United, City, Spuds) will have had consistency and years to build. We could become like Liverpool or Arsenal have been recently - bang average and fighting for 4th.

It would be disastrous. I'm praying we can turn things around and Conte stays for years. If we can stay in or around the Top 4 until the winter window opens and bring in a quality signing or two it'll help massively.

Even if we would be winning in all competitions, Conte would still return to Italy within a season or two. Just prepare for the inevitable.

I'm sure there are good modern managers out there who would turn Chelsea into a machine should they be given couple seasons to rebuild and the time to integrate at least a few academy players. Sadly this seems more like a fantasy and less like reality. So let's hire Ancelotti instead for two seasons, win the FA Cup, then fire him and hire someone else for short-term. Rinse, repeat.

I don’t blame Conte because he has to have top players at first place, on (almost) every position. I can’t blame the man for running average team with couple of great players. I blame Roman Abramovich. It’s almost 2018. and last time Chelsea meant something in CL was like +10 years ago. Since 2010 we are PL farmers in CL. Why in CL? Because when you are good enough for the CL you are good enough for domestic competitions. We are shit. No identity, no strategy, every little we have new coach, players rejecting us BIG... Nobody is getting sacked. Very poor managing from Mr. Abramovich. He literally turned Chelsea into Arsenal FC. We are fighting for a CL spot. His philosophy is better spend + £200m on 10 players then on 3-4 very top with an immediate impact. Why? Because his farm works super good for him and his pocket. Shame. This club turned wrong from the road. 

20 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Wasn't similar said when Jose was on his last legs here? We certainly ended up getting better and doing okay then. Not that i want Conte sacked but if it get's to the point where his tenure is damaged beyond repair for whatever reason, it's not in anyone's best interest to cling on.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Wasn't similar said when Jose was on his last legs here? We certainly ended up getting better and doing okay then. Not that i want Conte sacked but if it get's to the point where his tenure is damaged beyond repair for whatever reason, it's not in anyone's best interest to cling on.

But we've only got better for one season. Jose went..Conte came in the summer..won the league and fast forward a season and back to where always end up..just always seems to be a short term thing these days. Good at having 2 or a 1 year manager really 

Not best interest to hang on but it's  so predictable.We sack him it won't change for long. Still same bunch of players,still same issues and it'll happen again with the next manager anyway. Which seems why they only last at most 2 seasons if that. 

Just seems mad that since 2007 we've had 10 different people in charge...and 7 'long term' managers including Jose his 2nd time...

3 hours ago, Tomo said:

And the team bottom of that list have been the most consistent team in this league for the last few years (despite not winning it) and the most well balanced aswell. Conte did an absolutely unbelievable job last season, even better than Jose's work the first time but this season he is making silly mistakes and the transfer window can only cover his arse to a point. Don't get me wrong, i am not for a second saying he should go last season gives him enough credit in the bank for quite some time unless we hit a 15/16 or even 10/11 rut, but he needs to wake up because this squad while flawed are not as bad as what's been shown this season.

Where does the threat come from then when you have one winger position not filled by a real threat (willian/pedro/musonda), wingbacks that are NOT a consistent threat going forward and at least one noob/slow CM in a MF that can't control matches and must compensate for Cahill and Alonso at the back?  

Given all of this, I expect us to fall further in the table unless Kante returns and once again keeps us a bit above the mid-table sides --which I doubt he can continue to do.

Looks to me that we'd be better off having Roman sell the club to a group that has ambition and vision for a football club rather than pissing about with a budget team and a constant stream of new managers.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

True, but we were fortunate that a big name manager like Conte was available. Are there any that could be had now? Ancelotti is but I don't think he'd be the right guy at this point. 

35 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

But we've only got better for one season. Jose went..Conte came in the summer..won the league and fast forward a season and back to where always end up..just always seems to be a short term thing these days. Good at having 2 or a 1 year manager really 

Not best interest to hang on but it's  so predictable.We sack him it won't change for long. Still same bunch of players,still same issues and it'll happen again with the next manager anyway. Which seems why they only last at most 2 seasons if that. 

Just seems mad that since 2007 we've had 10 different people in charge...and 7 'long term' managers including Jose his 2nd time...

This might have something to do with the fact that we never build on our successes. Instead we tend to ignore obvious flaws and let the squad grow stale and complacent with little to no upgrades. Then the new manager comes, everybody wants to impress and play to their best for a while, once established they down their tools and the cycle continues with the manager's head on the chopping block. Mourinho and Conte both stressed many times that every successful team needs fresh blood and improvements every year, a message that our board wants to hear none of.

This is actually really concerning about our club no manager has able to keep the players motivated or play at peak level for more than a year. Why is that?

Is there something wrong with the club? players? manager?

I mean last season people were raving about how Conte is mastermind the best, we are in a slump now and the opinions seemed to have reversed.

Why can't we go back to back seasons winning and not having to go through the pain of seeing the manager leave as a solution to all our problems?

1 hour ago, Laylabelle said:

Bst seems mad that since 2007 we've had 10 different people in charge...and 7 'long term' managers including Jose his 2nd time...

Meh, not that big on longterm i mean if we can get it great but our method's with manager's hardly hold's us back. 

43 minutes ago, quickpassnmove said:

Where does the threat come from then when you have one winger position not filled by a real threat (willian/pedro/musonda), wingbacks that are NOT a consistent threat going forward and at least one noob/slow CM in a MF that can't control matches and must compensate for Cahill and Alonso at the back?  

Given all of this, I expect us to fall further in the table unless Kante returns and once again keeps us a bit above the mid-table sides --which I doubt he can continue to do.

Pedro not a consistent threat?

40 minutes ago, quickpassnmove said:

Looks to me that we'd be better off having Roman sell the club to a group that has ambition and vision for a football club rather than pissing about with a budget team and new managers with zero footballing vision.

Or he sells to Hicks and Gillett and we end up in administration within 3 year's.

40 minutes ago, Pizy said:

True, but we were fortunate that a big name manager like Conte was available. Are there any that could be had now? Ancelotti is but I don't think he'd be the right guy at this point. 

If there's no "big" name then it's up to one of our scout's to think outside the box and identify a manager. It can be done  Zidane, Pochettino and Conte himself at Juve are living proof of that.

38 minutes ago, manpe said:

This might have something to do with the fact that we never build on our successes. Instead we tend to ignore obvious flaws and let the squad grow stale and complacent with little to no upgrades. Then the new manager comes, everybody wants to impress and play to their best for a while, once established they down their tools and the cycle continues with the manager's head on the chopping block. Mourinho and Conte both stressed many times that every successful team needs fresh blood and improvements every year, a message that our board wants to hear none of.

Yep and that's why keep going round in a stupid circle. Think pretty much most on here predicted this season be long and hard for the reason we didn't invest where we should've. Brought players who have added no impact and here we go again... Surley be cheaper just to give managers a year by year contact as never get to see it out.

30 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Meh, not that big on longterm i mean if we can get it great but our method's with manager's hardly hold's us back. 

Pedro not a consistent threat?

Or he sells to Hicks and Gillett and we end up in administration within 3 year's.

If there's no "big" name then it's up to one of our scout's to think outside the box and identify a manager. It can be done  Zidane, Pochettino and Conte himself at Juve are living proof of that.

At a club like this where you're demanded to win immedietly or you get the sack I'm not sure Roman will risk a young up and comer. Especially after the AVB debacle.