The Mourinho Thread

I could fully understand the cautious approach but with the attacking ability we have now we should never be this cautious. It hurt me to see the likes of Hazard, Costa and Fabregas just isolated...

Jose needs to find the right formula, the squad is far too complete for us to still be playing this kind of football. Showed a bit too much respect for City tbh, Pellegrini's comments were just expected for me. In a sense Manuel can goad and say we played like a Stoke yesterday because it's true.

Hopefully Jose finds the correct formula soon. It wasn't right to play the way we did yesterday.

Agree but I don't think our attacks were helped yesterday by the rubbishness of Willian and Ramires on the ball. Spoiled so many of our attacks because they couldn't even keep the ball for longer than 5 seconds! :doh:

Agree but I don't think our attacks were helped yesterday by the rubbishness of Willian and Ramires on the ball. Spoiled so many of our attacks because they couldn't even keep the ball for longer than 5 seconds! :doh:

That's because we never maintained any serious period of sustained possession. Just look at the areas Willian was receiving the ball in. On the break with 1 or 2 City players pressing him. Not just him but even Hazard and Costa were losing the ball. All their attacking players had so much time on the ball, 20-30 passes worth of build up while our attacking players treated the ball like a grenade. It all boils down to Mourinho and how he sets up the team to play.

I could fully understand the cautious approach but with the attacking ability we have now we should never be this cautious. It hurt me to see the likes of Hazard, Costa and Fabregas just isolated...

Jose needs to find the right formula, the squad is far too complete for us to still be playing this kind of football. Showed a bit too much respect for City tbh, Pellegrini's comments were just expected for me. In a sense Manuel can goad and say we played like a Stoke yesterday because it's true.

Hopefully Jose finds the correct formula soon. It wasn't right to play the way we did yesterday.

Ramires playing as a defensive winger in the 2014-2015 season is depressing.

Funny, how a Neville praies Mourinho and our 'fans' here criticize him. Shame on you

Criticism doesn't make you a bad 'fan'. The fact is, we see things differently because we're emotionally invested in the club.

Criticism of something you love shows you're humble enough to see flaws in it and shows a rational approach..

That's because we never maintained any serious period of sustained possession. Just look at the areas Willian was receiving the ball in. On the break with 1 or 2 City players pressing him. Not just him but even Hazard and Costa were losing the ball. All their attacking players had so much time on the ball, 20-30 passes worth of build up while our attacking players treated the ball like a grenade. It all boils down to Mourinho and how he sets up the team to play.

We didn't keep possesion cause of Willian and Ramires' poor play. We were playing to counter, Schurrle or Oscar are more suited to launch counters. Willian has very poor vision.

If we play so defensively against Man utd and Arsenal etc, then I can understand the complaints - just like last season.

But Man city is different, just watch all the other top 5 teams go there and lose. We're not good enough to take the game to a team like that, especially away from home.

What we do need though is better counter attacks, there's no excuse for 0 shots in the 1st half with the pace and quality in the side.

Funny, how a Neville praies Mourinho and our 'fans' here criticize him. Shame on you

That's right, we're not real fans and that is because we dare to criticize the manager's tactics. I wonder if you realize how lame you look when you make all these asumptions about other people not being real fans just because they disagree with you or with the manager. Mourinho is not God, you know, and I personally don't give a crap about the fact that some people here seem to be ready to build him statues in front of their own home. If I think he made a mistake, I say he made a mistake. But, hell, probably I'm not a real Chelsea fan.

We don't criticize Mourinho for having a cautious approach when we have 5 points on City and play at their ground. IMO our defensive tactics were excellent. The defensive runs of our players were damn efficient. For the major part of the game we made them work extremely hard for a few corners.

But after we got our lead, we should have played to our strengths. without Willian and RAmires we were defensively more vulnerable and should have pressed City. Their patchwork defense wihtout fullbacks, agüero and yaya running out of steam.

WE could have also tried to undo them on the break and committing bodies to City's vulnerable flanks. Though Mourinho subbed on Drogba who he cringeworthly still clinges to, instead of Remy, who would have offered the pace required to kill the game off.

But we let City dominate us with schürrle marking Silva.So the equalizer was always gonna happen. Even after that we did not even try to score again. When we got the ball we simply passed it in our own half, even in the 94th minute when there was no chance City would have another chance, we refused to attack. This is what I don't understand.

With players like Costa, Hazard, Willian, Oscar, Fabregas and so on, I can understand and relate to the frustration of our style of play in this match. If football was solely about results then no one will have any qualms about the way we played today. But unfortunately, for one of the biggest clubs in the world, with fans all around the world, it isn't. No one is questioning Mourinho's record as a manager. His managerial record shows he is one of the best managers not only of this era but in history.

But he's not perfect. And part of his defects were shown today. We were clearly set up to play counter-attacking football (as is almost always the way with Jose away from home) and the problem with that is that when it doesn't work, we produce one of the most turgid brands of football among the big European clubs.

Mourinho's tactics were ineffectual today, at least part of it. He said it himself in the post match interview. The "final phase" of attack never happened. But it never happened vs Man United away, vs Atletico away, vs Man City FA cup loss away, vs Arsenal in the league away. He's going to have to brainstorm and come up with some new ideas in these big matches away from home. We have to start playing like a big team now, not just at home but away to other big teams. No excuses.

Can't wait for the next game so I can forget how we played in this one.

Ferguson had players like Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney avalible to him yet almost always wentoto Highbury, Anfield, Stamford Bridge and Ethiad with similar tactics to what we did yesterday, even pre 2005 Wenger played these type of games when needed and that was with Henry, Bergkamp and Pires at his disposal.

Being cautious in big games isn't anti football, it's common sense, or do you want to lose 5-1 at Anfield in November?

Yep, it's why he struggled so much against Benitez who was one of the few managers to play him at his own game; the games were reduced to nothing with both teams afraid to commit more than 2 players to attack. I still have nightmares about our peformance away to Atletico last season.

It wasn't nice but we were heading to the home of the mist in form team in Europe and had half a team out, if we tried to fight fire with fire we would have had our backsides tanned and quite frankly we would deserved it.

Ferguson had players like Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney avalible to him yet almost always wentoto Highbury, Anfield, Stamford Bridge and Ethiad with similar tactics to what we did yesterday, even pre 2005 Wenger played these type of games when needed and that was with Henry, Bergkamp and Pires at his disposal.

Being cautious in big games isn't anti football, it's common sense, or do you want to lose 5-1 at Anfield in November?

Nothing wrong with being cautious, nothing wrong with football (slightly) on the defensive side. It's very understandable even. But this exceeds caution.

And I don't understand these 'or do you want to get destroyed' comments.. If Chelsea play anything but very defensive football, they will loose. Not only does it guarantee a loss, it means a big loss. If so, I don't understand how this team is anything remotely close to a top team.

Nothing wrong with being cautious, nothing wrong with football (slightly) on the defensive side. It's very understandable even. But this exceeds caution.

And I don't understand these 'or do you want to destroyed' comments.. If Chelsea play anything but very defensive football, they will loose. Not only does it guarantee a loss, it means a big loss. If so, I don't understand how this team is anything remotely close to a top team.

It was no different to how Carlo approached the game at Eastlands in 10/11 or Fergie did that season or the year after at the same place.

All the top managers are partial to defensive games when need must but when Jose does it he's the second coming off Kim Jong Un.

It was no different to how Carlo approached the game at Eastlands in 10/11 or Fergie did that season or the year after at the same place.

All the top managers are partial to defensive games when need must but when Jose does it he's the second coming off Kim Jong Un.

Fergie isn't exactly known for his brilliant offensive philosophy is he? If he is, I'd seriously disagree. I always thought his Utd teams were just like Mourinho's.

Not all. And I personally don't have anything against defensive football. Counter-attacking football can be absolutely brilliant to watch. But it's performances like the one I saw yesterday that I will never agree with. That's too much for me.