test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Fulham Broadway

The Mourinho Thread

Started by Fulham Broadway,

Bielsa is available. He may not be great but I'd love to see his type of coaching in the EPL

Me too, would love to see that madmen at least for a season or two.

I think he is like Mourinho, only good for short term but the difference is that he can leave us with an attack minded philosophy in a short time.

As oppose to Mourinho BS philosophy.

If Jose remains the big question is can we trust him with rebuilding the squad though? I mean look at us now and look at the players we have let go. Those transfer moves don't seem like of someone who knows what he's doing, but in Jose's defence a big chunk of blame can be put on the board because I'm quite sure Jose never wanted such a thin squad. I'm certain he would absolutely LOVE to have viable options to replace some of the underperformers, but our squad is very thin and lacking quality options. However, when he did have a larger squad with better options, his handling of those players was simply abysmal, so the blame is still shared here.

I still have blind hope that Mourinho can come good and become our undisputed boss who drives us forward, develops proper playing style and promotes youth, but I just can't see it happening anymore :(

Imagine if Pogba deal really did went through. Fabregas would be glued to bench.

EDIT: Transfers of Costa and Fabregas were good, actually. Not great, but good. Costa was promising in Atletico, can't blame him for wanting him here. Fabregas not so much in Barcelona, but he already played in Premier league and is proven player in league.

I blame Fabregas and Costa for not being good as expected, not Mourinho for bringing them.

At this stage I see only two options:

(1) We keep the manager and overhaul the squad.

(2) We sack the manager and forget about stability.

I would personally let Jose construct a new team, and would let him do so every three years if that be what it takes to win again. Besides JT, our squad is mentally weak and they all crumble the second something goes against us in a match.

We need to establish a clear spine which is suited to playing direct football where we've always thrived.

Good first post Samuel.

Welcome by the way !

Johnnyeye, Viper22 and stroey like this

Samuel, he already has done that and the third season has turned out to be a disaster. He has had his short term success. But let him overhaul the squad? That has happened and look who we lost... KDB, Lukaku, Bertrand, Luis, Mata and now look who we are left with and look at our unconventional way of playing Ivanovic and Azpi as our FB. How can we progress as a club if that is Jose's mentality? Bertrand should have been our no.1 LB for years to come. Then we had Luis and he should have been our permanent LB but also sold. Azpi had a torrid time yesterday but he is generally consistent but from his side as a team looking to win trophies we need natural attacking players like Bertrand and Luis from the left which Azpi can not provide naturally. All of this sets us back. We are the only major club who plays this way and it needs to stop and once again all comes down to Jose.

We lost KDB and Mata, with Lukaku and Bertrand (Winter) out on loans in the 13/14 season. We hit a record number of points 82 since 2009/10 when we won the double, and also made it to a CL semi-final.

Then we sold Luiz and Bertrand in winter, to win a title since 2009/10. He overhauled the squad and got his results. He needed the players this summer and the club failed to get them. So I don't really believe there has been a problem with him overhauling.

Though you are right about the whole Azpilicueta-Ivanovic setup, which isn't conventional, but did yield results last year.

Stats likes this

Should we really let Jose build another team? We can't keep on building a new team every three or four years when Jose loses the dressing room. We want stability yes, but is Jose the manger for that? i don't think so.

And that is the question. He was never the man to bring stability and last for years, because he doesn't have a track record to prove it. We brought him, and put faith into his plan, and now the idea is to pull out cause things cannot be any worse. I guess it really isn;t about building a new team, it's about just updating it. When we failed to do so this year, it's going to force us to overhaul. Overhaul or sack him, and once you sack him who do we go to? Because if the idea is for the next manager to step up to the plate and provide a long term vision with stability then we're going down the same path once again.

The Skipper likes this

Not sure if anyone has considered or mentioned this, but if he's sacked there has to be a worry about the new manager doing an AVB and trying to radically change things too quickly and angering players in the process.

There's a chance a new manager turns things around but also a risk of making things even worse.

No point sacking Mourinho but there is a point sacking the players that do not want to play for the club. Mourinho isn't the problem here, people have to realise.

he sticks with the formation, and keeps our fullbacks the way they are. don't tell me he isn't the problem. the man's a fool

dimmas likes this

Not sure if anyone has considered or mentioned this, but if he's sacked there has to be a worry about the new manager doing an AVB and trying to radically change things too quickly and angering players in the process.

There's a chance a new manager turns things around but also a risk of making things even worse.

We are 16th...

Worse than this? We are 1 point above the relegation zone. A loss to Sunderland would put us in it. Can't be any worse.
zolayes and Stats like this

And that is the question. He was never the man to bring stability and last for years, because he doesn't have a track record to prove it. We brought him, and put faith into his plan, and now the idea is to pull out cause things cannot be any worse. I guess it really isn;t about building a new team, it's about just updating it. When we failed to do so this year, it's going to force us to overhaul. Overhaul or sack him, and once you sack him who do we go to? Because if the idea is for the next manager to step up to the plate and provide a long term vision with stability then we're going down the same path once again.

For me it is not just the fact that we are 16th. It is the fact that we look awful when we play and there is no identity. That is why I want him gone. I am sick of watching the negative drivel we display every week and there is just too much wrong with the team, the rapport between manager and players and that is why I think he needs to go.

bethos1 and poup like this

The whole 'lack of balls, lack of commitment, lack of desire' stuff is really overstated in my opinion. It's no surprise to see Mourinho put it down to this rather than consider the tactical side of things and what he could do differently. It's clear that his managerial success has huge thanks to his man-management and motivational skills, and in particular getting good players to play out of their skin for him. When that's gone though and when you can't rely on the players' individual abilities, when you require a system that makes the collective greater than the sum of the (underperforming) individual parts, what is Mourinho offering? Some tactical experimentation from the start of games (not including changing around the starting 11 slightly) would be nice. There's nothing to lose now.

zolayes, manpe and 11Drogba like this