The Mourinho Thread

We can press well, Mourinho just played out the match exactly as he wanted. Conserving energy and nicking a draw away and wait for the return leg. The difference was last season the midfield was faster with ramires and David luiz in it. This season we're easily turned by chadlii, cabella, sissoko, and now sterling. No recovery speed in our midfield especially since we have the worst 1 on 1 centerbacks for a top team.

Relative to the best we really, really can't. Honestly the number of times our press is overcome and the huge gaps in front of the midfield are exposed is staggering. If we could press well we would be creating more chances and wouldn't concede so many clear-cut ones in the big games. Just watch Atletico do it and it is extremely rare for a team to consistently beat their press within a game and if they do they are nowhere near as porous as we are. Only Barcelona are really capable of beating Atletico's press because they have technically incredible footballers and even they sometimes struggle whereas ours gets beat a lot, even at home.

We really, really can't. Honestly the number of times our press is overcome and the huge gaps in front of the midfield are exposed is staggering. If we could press well we would be creating more chances and wouldn't concede so many clear-cut ones in the big games. Just watch Atletico do it and it is extremely rare for a team to consistently beat their press within a game, if they do at all. Only Barcelona are really capable of it because they have technically incredible footballers and even they sometimes struggle.

Our attacking players press very well including Matic on occasion. The main reason we cant commit to it fully is because of John Terry's lack of pace. Our defense sits far too deep to ever press in phases.

Our attacking players press very well including Matic on occasion. The main reason we cant commit to it fully is because of John Terry's lack of pace. Our defense sits far too deep to ever press in phases.

On occasion yes, but we should aim for a higher success rate. I'm always screaming at someone (usually Ivanovic) to help out in a 1v1 or 2v2 situation when he's so near and us overloading would make it so much more likely that we gain possession from the press. Instead we often rely on 50-50s. Also Atletico don't use a high line to press and they have no issues with compactness.

He's won 2 out of 8 CL SFs in his career. Yes there are plenty of good teams in the latter stages of the CL but he's had some brilliant sides himself and that's a fairly awful record for someone who is often descirbed as one of the greatest (big game) managers ever. I posted on here when the draw against Liverpool was announced about how we'd struggle if Jose did his usual SF approach - an extreme fear of conceding that results in a lack of attacking ambition and ironically less defensive stability. I didn't actually think he would do that against this Liverpool side in the Capital One Cup but I really shouldn't be shocked by his tactics anymore.

sure, mate.

Reaching 8 UCL SF is something every other manager have in their resume... in addition to three titles... I'd say let's get rid of this loser right now.

Btw, I haven't read how Barcelona completely outplayed Atletico a couple of weeks ago and how they scrapped a win this weekend against a team near the relegation zone in SPAIN with a robbed penalty. could you analyze those and Simeone's job on both occasions please, or link me to where you already wrote your thoughts about it if you already did?

sure, mate. Reaching 8 UCL SF is something every other manager have in their resume... in addition to three titles... I'd say let's get rid of this loser right now.

Did I say that? Nope. I said losing 6 of those 8 is a bad record for Jose's standards and there is, in my opinion at least, a clear reason why he consistently fails at that stage apart from the excuse of 'oh there's lots of good teams at that stage and Jose's always had the worse team'.

Did I say that? Nope. I said losing 6 of those 8 is a bad record for Jose's standards and there is, in my opinion at least, a clear reason why he consistent fails at that stage apart from the excuse of 'oh there's lots of good teams at that stage and Jose always has the worse team'.

I edited my post and am waiting for your analysis about the best manager in the world's work on those two matches...

the excuse isn't that the other teams are better, but that at this stage anything can happen like Chelsea beating Barcelona in the Camp Nou managed by Roberto bloody di Matteo - tactics experts.

Btw, I haven't read how Barcelona completely outplayed Atletico a couple of weeks ago and how they scrapped a win this weekend against a team near the relegation zone in SPAIN with a robbed penalty. could you analyze those and Simeone's job on both occasions please, or link me to where you already wrote your thoughts about it if you already did?

Barcelona at the Nou Camp when at their best are unplayable (yet didn't defeat Atletico the whole of last season). Jose would of course know all about that. Liverpool and Tottenham, who we made to look like world beaters, are nowhere near that standard and would never dominate Atletico like they did us. You're going to moan about Atletico's playing style after they had the core of their squad ripped out? The fact they're still competing is unbelievable. I'd like (not) to see us cope with losing 3 of our best players and having to rely on the likes of Torres! If you expect Simeone to be playing brilliant football every week while competing on that budget with Barca/Real then there's not much to say. Is it unreasonable to expect Jose to have this side not be so defensively vulnerable and offensively poor against big teams? I don't think so.

the excuse isn't that the other teams are better, but that at this stage anything can happen like Chelsea beating Barcelona in the Camp Nou managed by Roberto bloody di Matteo - tactics experts.

We were clearly outplayed in that tie. Could you let me know of an example when Mourinho's side clearly dominated the tie, missed chance after chance and were extremely unlucky not to go through to the final? At least that way we can say Mourinho's poor CL SFs record is down to bad luck rather than poor tactics. Any idea?

@thechels

What makes athletico better is because they also hold possession under pressure in big games, that's our real weakness and not pressing like you think. If we improve our possession play to conserve energy and relieve pressure we would be even better in the big games. The time they tried to sit back totally, they lost the Champions League final. So their defense isn't as impenetrable as you think.

@thechels

What makes athletico better is because they also hold possession under pressure in big games, that's our real weakness and not pressing like you think. If we improve our possession play to conserve energy and relieve pressure we would be even better in the big games. The time they tried to sit back totally, they lost the Champions League final. So their defense isn't as impenetrable as you think.

The end of the CL final is not a good example to use of Atletico defending. How often do they defend so deep with no pressing? Hardly ever. They had absolutely no outlet with their 2 best offensive players, Turan and Costa, injured. Luis was also just taken off injured, they only had 2 subs to use after the early Costa one, and they were obviously tired from a long season and a title-decider against Barcelona the week before while Real Madrid were able to rest all their best players.

To play like that was not their intention. Their final La Liga game with Barca - they could have played for the draw but went out to attack even at 1-1. Against us at HT it was 1-1 and they could have just sat back but they went for the kill. You cannot accuse them of actively choosing to sit back at the complete expense of attack like you can with Jose. Also where do you think their clever 1-2s and ability to hold the ball against the big teams (e.g. against us at Stamford Bridge or their last game against Real) comes from? Simeone of course. Those players are not better footballers than the ones in our team.

Barcelona at the Nou Camp when at their best are unplayable (yet didn't defeat Atletico the whole of last season). Jose would of course know all about that. Liverpool and Tottenham, who we made to look like world beaters, are nowhere near that standard and would never dominate Atletico like they did us. You're going to moan about Atletico's playing style after they had the core of their squad ripped out? The fact they're still competing is unbelievable. I'd like (not) to see us cope with losing 3 of our best players and having to rely on the likes of Torres! If you expect Simeone to be playing brilliant football every week while competing on that budget with Barca/Real then there's not much to say. Is it unreasonable to expect Jose to have this side not be so defensively vulnerable and offensively poor against big teams? I don't think so.

We were clearly outplayed in that tie. Could you let me know of an example when Mourinho's side clearly dominated the tie, missed chance after chance and were extremely unlucky not to go through to the final? At least that way we can say Mourinho's poor CL SFs record is down to bad luck rather than poor tactics. Any idea?

You didn't analyze anything - exactly as I expected.

You made excuses - it's been a long time this Barcelona have been unplayable. Simeone could have turned this around in the break if he's this wonder, but he couldn't.

If three players leave the team and they can't beat a relegation zone side without a robbed penalty maybe they should sell the rest as well as there isn't much they can aim in a season.

My point isn't to discredit Simeone or Atleti is to make you realize sometimes managers don't have all the answers, players have bad days and some things just don't work out

We - the father of all wasteful teams - have in many occasions dominated and didn't win - regardless if in a tie or not. That's the point, for others - where the grass is always greener - there are tons of excuses and José became the one trick pony that can't get passed SF because he's a coward.

And that's coming from someone that is far from happy with José lately, but as usual, this forum is overly harsh in the criticism. There isn't middle ground or common sense. It's either the best thing since sliced bread or the player(s), manager aren't good enough.

Maybe instead of signing new players and managers, some people should sign a new club and go support Bayern, Barça, Atletico... it's not like they're English teams, so I don't even consider it cheating or betrayal.

You didn't analyze anything - exactly as I expected. You made excuses - it's been a long time this Barcelona have been unplayable. Simeone could have turned this around in the break if he's this wonder, but he couldn't. If three players leave the team and they can't beat a relegation zone side without a robbed penalty maybe they should sell the rest as well as there isn't much they can aim in a season. My point isn't to discredit Simeone or Atleti is to make you realize sometimes managers don't have all the answers, players have bad days and some things just don't work out

My analysis is that they didn't have their best game going forward but made sure they would not concede and inevitably won. Granada has 5 shots on goal, 2 on target. On the same weekend we were completely dominated by Newcastle in the first half while also having a poor game going forward. We conceded 11 shots, 5 on target and they hit the woodwork a couple of times too. With regard to the bolded bit, need need I remind you of the game against QPR and how we couldn't beat them but for a penalty - should we too sell our entire team then considering QPR have an atrocious away record? We don't even have the excuse of not having WC players or losing our best players.

And believe me Simeone turns bad Atletico performances around at half time a hell of a lot. The number of goals they score at the start of the second half is amazing. Just see their recent second half performances away to Athletic Bilbao or Real Madrid miweek. They were also being completely dominated by Barcelona until the second half where they were very close to 2-2 if Mandzukic could actually pass. How often does Mourinho change things significantly at half time when we're playing poorly away from home? Cty away? Nope. Newcastle/Sunderland away? Nope. Tottenham away? Nope. Liverpool yesterday? Nope.

Managers don't have all the answers, obviously. I accept that Mourinho will make mistakes but when it's repeated and avoidable ones (requires more courage and better tactical work on pressing) then it does get very frustrating. And I don't know why you feel the need to slate Simeone in any way you can when the point is that he uses more balanced and proactive defensive tactics than Mourinho. If you think Atletico having a bad first-half away to a Barcelona side with Messi, Suarez and Neymar all playing brilliantly is comparable to Chelsea being dominated by Tottenham and Pool then we should probably end this discussion here.

He's won 2 out of 8 CL SFs in his career. Yes there are plenty of good teams in the latter stages of the CL but he's had some brilliant sides himself and that's a fairly awful record for someone who is often descirbed as one of the greatest (big game) managers ever. I posted on here when the draw against Liverpool was announced about how we'd struggle if Jose did his usual SF approach - an extreme fear of conceding that results in a lack of attacking ambition and ironically less defensive stability. I didn't actually think he would do that against this Liverpool side in the Capital One Cup but I really shouldn't be shocked by his tactics anymore.

SAF has also got 8 semi finals with two wins (both a lot more fortunate than Mous).

Sorry Fergie the knighthood was a mistake, it was suppose to be McLeish.

SAF has also got 8 semi finals with two wins (both a lot more fortunate than Mous).

Sorry Fergie the knighthood was a mistake, it was suppose to be McLeish.

He's won 3/7 CL SFs. I'm not at all saying that Mourinho is a bad manager. I'm saying that he has an overly negative approach towards certain big games, particularly SFs (and also that he hasn't sorted out our issues with pressing and compactness). Can a manager's flaws not be pointed out without his apologists resorting to patronising and sarcastic posts?

Its not about being negative towards Jose he is open to constructive criticism as is anyone, nobody is perfect at all, but he's damn close.

I don't like the setup in big games, I said it here last season and this season again and I do not like his subs, again not the first time I'm saying that.

It seems to be waiting for a dire situation before making a change when the pressure was ON yesterday and we couldnt trap the ball it was a game for Drog to come on, be a focal point, hold the ball, take up two players and draw fouls rather than Costa.

It was a matter of time before we conceded last night unfortunately but the aim was to get a draw and bring it back to the bridge, same old tactics with two legged games I'm afraid, barely worked against PSG, didn't work against Atletico.

If he doesn't change it then honestly we are looking at another year of disappointment in the CL especially.

I was really annoyed last night with him, but today I'm like meh!

I should have expected this - I think that was my biggest problem, I expected us to exploit their shit defence and roll them over.

To then watch 90 minutes, 80 mins of that with us not being able to string 2 passes together - it just infuriated me beyond all reason.

I guess I need to stop watching these games and posting in the match day thread :)

There's seriously something wrong when it comes to playing Liverpool in the cup and the league under Mourinho. Almost a huge difference in the performance.

This is what I think:

In the league he has to get all the points no matter what, hence take more risks to grab the goals. In knock-out competitions it seems we revert to "there's still the second leg" attitude and in the second leg we go "penalties are better than losing", thus both games are normally very cagey under Mourinho unless we really need to go for it when losing. We usually just look to nick a goal and hold it for our lives to avoid all the ET and peno bullshit. In the league we actually look to improve our goal difference, which isn't important in cups.

Yesterday my point was highlighted by the fact that he brought on Azpi for Willian with quite a lot of time left, that was the moment when I realized that Jose just wanted to take the away goal and run with it until we have the home advantage. Playing it safe, but the accompanying performance was horrible for some reason, not a hint of defensive control over the game. Shit needs to improve next game or we're in trouble. This kind of mentality can of course backfire when we play like crap, but it can actually turn out good more often than not imo.

Despite yesterday, I'm still confident, because I think there's no way the home leg will be a repeat of what we saw. We're a different animal at home and taking an away goal from Anfield isn't that bad - dont forget, we're still leading. Also, we must remember that cups are the only title hopes Liverpool have and they have extra motivation now for Gerrard to leave with some final silverware. So combine that logic with their habit of raising their game against us, and you get a Liverpool different from what we encounter in the league.