Diego Costa

Spike

Sorry, this isn't true either. How many times in Didier's career did people get annoyed at him for not being up for it enough? People are forgetting Drogba's bad bits. It was always about whether he was in the mood or not.

I know Didier's your favourite player but stop acting like he had no flaws.

he had flaws. he was mercurial. lets take 09-10 wigan game for example. acted like a baby.

BUT, he was never useless in his game play like costa.

PS - lukaku has already played games on the wings and destoryed arsenal multiple times if i remember correctly. also, if my opinion about costa is to be taken with a pinch of salt, yours about lukaku needs to be taken with a handful of salt since you thought lukaku was "invisible" yesterday.

and that is the point. DD never needed to be on "song" to be useful for the team.

his aerial presence and his general character always seemed like to be a positive for the team. unlike costa. something as trivial as shielding the ball for a minute at the corner. costa seems to be no where near that level.

Let's not rewrite history here, there was many times Drogba was almost invisible in a game, especially in the last two seasons where he almost couldn't be bothered if it was any opponent below Spurs, Everton standard, Costa may have his faults but I don't think he will ever see any opponent as beneath him trying his hardest, something Didier did on a few occasions.

The point being however is back in 2008-2009 period similar chat was being made for Drogba than what's happening with Costa now, "he will never be on the same level as Villa or Eto'o" the same way people say it now about Costa regarding Aguero, Benzema etc etc

Let's not rewrite history here, there was many times Drogba was almost invisible in a game, especially in the last two seasons where he almost couldn't be bothered if it was any opponent below Spurs, Everton standard, Costa may have his faults but I don't think he will ever see any opponent as beneath him trying his hardest, something Didier did on a few occasions.

The point being however is back in 2008-2009 period similar chat was being made for Drogba than what's happening with Costa now, "he will never be on the same level as Villa or Eto'o" the same way people say it now about Costa regarding Aguero, Benzema etc etc

Drogba was a big game player, if we are talking about pure football ability then a prime Drogba was never as good as a prime Villa or Eto'o, there is a reason why those 2 have multiple seasons of 20-30 goals while Drogba only had 2 with us: 2006/07 and 2009/10.

Drogba was a big game player, if we are talking about pure football ability then a prime Drogba was never as good as a prime Villa or Eto'o, there is a reason why those 2 have multiple seasons of 20-30 goals while Drogba only had 2 with us: 2006/07 and 2009/10.

Well if we are going to go down the pure footballing route then Costa is already as good as Drogba has been since he has scored 20 plus goals the last two seasons and led his teams to titles in both, in fact the season before that he hit 21.

Also I didn't keep up with his record vs Barca and Madrid in Spain but for us his big game record ain't too shabby, goal in the cup final, has scored the only time he's faced Arsenal, both times vs Spurs, was unluckynot t net at Ethiad last season and played akey part in Andres goal, winner at Anfield...

Did Drogba always dominate defenders? In every single game? He'll never replace Drogba, what sort of statement is that? They're different sort of players.

I mean in terms what he did for this team. Diego is overreacting in almost every action.

I mean in terms what he did for this team. Diego is overreacting in almost every action.

So what? Diego's temperamental, just like Didier Drogba was. Didier used to go down at times sometimes even halting our attacking play without getting a free kick. If ever, Costa stays on the ground less often.

I know things are not looking good for the team atm, but lets not get carried away here. Costa is pretty much the same striker he was last season, albeit without sharpness, but given good service, I still trust him to do what he did for us last season. Put the ball in the back of the net.

So what? Diego's temperamental, just like Didier Drogba was. Didier used to go down at times sometimes even halting our attacking play without getting a free kick. If ever, Costa stays on the ground less often.

I know things are not looking good for the team atm, but lets not get carried away here. Costa is pretty much the same striker he was last season, albeit without sharpness, but given good service, I still trust him to do what he did for us last season. Put the ball in the back of the net.

Exactly, Drogba is a bonafide Chelsea legend and i think that plus the fact his last action of both spells here was on the parade bus down kings road makes some people forget that Drogba was frustrating a lot of the time, some games he didn't bother against shit teams, I don't think we will ever have that problem with Diego.

Exactly, Drogba is a bonafide Chelsea legend and i think that plus the fact his last action of both spells here was on the parade bus down kings road makes some people forget that Drogba was frustrating a lot of the time, some games he didn't bother against shit teams, I don't think we will ever have that problem with Diego.

Yes, you don't knock down a player by just bringing up his limitations and completely ignore everything else he has achieved.

A lot of the posters seem to be complaining because Diego's unable to turn things around when the rest of the team is playing like crap. They're forgetting that Drogba himself wasn't able to run the show alone back in 2010/11 when Carlo's team went into a slump. Granted Drogba didn't have full fitness due to the Malaria infection, but things didn't really pick up speed again until Malouda regained some form and Lampard returned from injury.

Yes, you don't knock down a player by just bringing up his limitations and completely ignore everything else he has achieved.

A lot of the posters seem to be complaining because Diego's unable to turn things around when the rest of the team is playing like crap. They're forgetting that Drogba himself wasn't able to run the show alone back in 2010/11 when Carlo's team went into a slump. Granted Drogba didn't have full fitness due to the Malaria infection, but things didn't really pick up speed again until Malouda regained some form and Lampard returned from injury.

If Costa plays six season's with us and hits 20 plus goals in 4-5 of them, all off a sudden any limitation he has would be forgotten and there would be hundreds of posts pining for him when our new long term striker has a sticky spell.

Nature of the beast i guess.

Bullshit. Drogba's goal record was low simply because he played under a defensive manager that was content with 2 nil & he continuously fell out with multiple managers. He was more talented than both Eto'o & Villa. Not even debatable which is why his peak was higher.

Bullshit. Drogba's goal record was low simply because he played under a defensive manager that was content with 2 nil & he continuously fell out with multiple managers. He was more talented than both Eto'o & Villa. Not even debatable which is why his peak was higher.

He wasn't that bad in his first two seasons, he was better then than he was post 2008 double season aside.

He offered much more than goals but a firing Didier was something else, 09/10 38 goals in 41 games with only one pen was insane, apart from Messi and Ronaldo, has anyone acculmanated those type of numbers without the aid of penalties (i know Messi and Ronaldo take pens, but even without they still have record breaking numbers).

He doesn't get put in the same bracket as Henry, Cantona etc because of his overall consistency over the 8 years, but I don't think even they matched or toped Drogbas performance in 09/10, he was insane.

Wow for months, I thought I was going crazy since everyone around me and on here seems to rate Costa as this amazing striker with impeccable all-round play but me. Didierforever is absolutely spot on here in his analysis and assessment. Costa, technically is no better than other poachers that came before and after him like inzaghi, huntelaar, Mario gomes,chicharito et al. And yes he's nothing more than a poacher whether you like it or not.

I still find it amazing how anyone can watch Costa play consistently and consider him to be a great striker/player. He's so limited, its shocking. And this has been my stance on him since since he joined (even when he was in goal scoring form) just in case anyone tries to accuse me of kneejerking.

What are you basing that on? 'not even debatable' hahahahha ok. He is a Chelsea legend but that doesn't mean he is the greatest striker the world have ever seen.

Going off statistic alone Drogba is not even comparable with those 2, never mind the manager argument. Eto'o didn't exactly known for his good working relationship with managers either, felt out with both Pep and Mourinho eventually so you can't use that excuse. If you are basing your judgement on amount of final goals/big game goals Drogba scored then those 2 I mentioned also scored in CL finals.

He wasn't that bad in his first two seasons, he was better then than he was post 2008 double season aside.

He offered much more than goals but a firing Didier was something else, 09/10 38 goals in 41 games with only one pen was insane, apart from Messi and Ronaldo, has anyone acculmanated those type of numbers without the aid of penalties (i know Messi and Ronaldo take pens, but even without they still have record breaking numbers).

He doesn't get put in the same bracket as Henry, Cantona etc because of his overall consistency over the 8 years, but I don't think even they matched or toped Drogbas performance in 09/10, he was insane.

Let's not forget he scored most of them in the league though, Rooney was just a couple of goals behind in the end I remember correctly in the same season. I agree that was a great season, possibly one of the best by an individual striker but plenty of others have just as good seasons as that. Neymar, Suarez and others to name a few.

Don't be ridiculous. Prime Eto'o and villa were superior in every facet of the game except hold up play and aerial ability. They were more clinical, superior technical ability, superior movement, more consistent and more intelligent.