Diego Costa

Spike

Me and the old man were discussing Diego in Europe, he doesn't seem to play with the same verve and panache as he does in domestic matches. Is the pace too slow for him, I wonder? Personally I've always thought the more mobile Remy or the more powerful Drogba would be a better option in UCL group games.

Can't see this happening even if it's true. He's an ex-Atletico Madrid player. I doubt he'd move to their biggest rivals.

Me and the old man were discussing Diego in Europe, he doesn't seem to play with the same verve and panache as he does in domestic matches. Is the pace too slow for him, I wonder? Personally I've always thought the more mobile Remy or the more powerful Drogba would be a better option in UCL group games.

But Costa did well with Atletico Madrid in the Champions League last season. Think he has been rather unfortunate not to have scored yet for us in Europe. Were denied by some goalkeeping heroics at Sporting Lisbon, had a goal wrongly ruled out for offside at Maribor and then denied by combination of goalkeeper and defenders making last-ditched blocks at Schalke.

But Costa did well with Atletico Madrid in the Champions League last season. Think he has been rather unfortunate not to have scored yet for us in Europe. Were denied by some goalkeeping heroics at Sporting Lisbon, had a goal wrongly ruled out for offside at Maribor and then denied by combination of goalkeeper and defenders making last-ditched blocks at Schalke.

I wouldn't say he's been unlucky but it does show he still has a lot of room for improvement. This season in the CL most of his chances have been ones where he starts with the ball outside the box and he's not particularly good in those circumstances. He's had quite a few potential 1v1s but he's either been tackled by the last defender or hit the ball straight at the keeper. He's been lethal in the PL because he gets more of the ball in the box.

I wouldn't say he's been unlucky but it does show he still has a lot of room for improvement. This season in the CL most of his chances have been ones where he starts with the ball outside the box and he's not particularly good in those circumstances. He's had quite a few potential 1v1s but he's either been tackled by the last defender or hit the ball straight at the keeper. He's been lethal in the PL because he gets more of the ball in the box.

both things are only partially true.

He had an amazing individual play against Schalke where he advanced a lot before reaching the box.

He's still polishing his game. We should remember he started playing football quite old for a professional, he still has a lot of polishing to do.

He's much better than people give him credit for. He's not talented with the ball, he's not brilliant, but he isn't this useless guy either (not saying you're saying he is, but some did imply).

He hasn't been at the top of his form in most UCL games we played... so I think it's only a matter of time. I'm very happy with his form at EPL, so I won't complain about his lack of goals in UCL group stage.