Oscar

themightyblue

Not a fan of Ozil either. Comes down to opinions and all that but I like Eriksen too. Right now the best #10 around is Coutinho for me

Really?

There are a handful of #10's in the league I'd have over Coutinho. Özil, Eriksen, Silva, Cazorla and Mata. I'd love to just see what we'd look like with Mata back in his natural position here.

Really?

There are a handful of #10's in the league I'd have over Coutinho. Özil, Eriksen, Silva, Cazorla and Mata. I'd love to just see what we'd look like with Mata back in his natural position here.

what exactly have changed since one year when he left?

He's far from impressive in Manchester United - in a much more fitting system for him than the one José has here. So if where his chances of doing better he isn't that impressive, I can only imagine how much worse he'd look here.

I agree about all other names in your list though. Carzola has been through a great moment and Coutinho does absolutely nothing for me. A fancy flick there and now, but he has never caught my attention. Disappears for even longer periods than Oscar does...

what exactly have changed since one year when he left?

He's far from impressive in Manchester United - in a much more fitting system for him than the one José has here. So if where his chances of doing better he isn't that impressive, I can only imagine how much worse he'd look here.

I agree about all other names in your list though. Carzola has been through a great moment and Coutinho does absolutely nothing for me. A fancy flick there and now, but he has never caught my attention. Disappears for even longer periods than Oscar does...

He's constantly in and out of their team. Van Gaal is trying desperately to show the country that he's a genius and keeps tinkering with the system and Mata doesn't always play where he should.

I DO think our current set of players would be perfect for Mata in an attacking sense. Pacey, direct runners in Hazard and Cuadrado on the flanks for him to release and (as we've seen with Cesc) he'd have Costa's fantastic movement in front of him to play pinpoint through balls to.

The problem, obviously, is that having both Cesc and Mata in the same team we may get slaughtered in midfield defensively. Could work against small teams, though.

He's constantly in and out of their team. Van Gaal is trying desperately to show the country that he's a genius and keeps tinkering with the system and Mata doesn't always play where he should.

I DO think our current set of players would be perfect for Mata in an attacking sense. Pacey, direct runners in Hazard and Cuadrado on the flanks for him to release and (as we've seen with Cesc) he'd have Costa's fantastic movement in front of him to play pinpoint through balls to.

The problem, obviously, is that having both Cesc and Mata in the same team we may get slaughtered in midfield defensively. Could work against small teams, though.

Completely disagree. I think Mata more than ever doesn't fit our team. With him and Cesc in the middle in addition to slow, we don't have enough physicality. Hazard while not useless isn't exactly a workhorse when it comes to pressing and defending. So you have completely useless Mata, Hazard that is more or less and Cesc who relies a lot on how much Matic covers him. Then you added a newbie in the team in the RW - which we don't know if will be able to cope with the physicality of the league and I'm sorry, but that's a disaster waiting to happen all over. It might not work even against small teams. Also, as someone pointed out, Oscar works well against small teams and we have Cesc, Costa and Hazard also working against small (and big) teams. No need for Mata at all.

His attacking abilities and contributions were never questioned (much), it was his overall contribution to the team, the defending commitment that Mourinho's system requires that cost him his position and lately led him out of the club. If anything we look way more vulnerable defensively this year than last year. Our pressing is in no way what it used to be and Mata would only make that look way worse.

Completely disagree. I think Mata more than ever doesn't fit our team. With him and Cesc in the middle in addition to slow, we don't have enough physicality. Hazard while not useless isn't exactly a workhorse when it comes to pressing and defending. So you have completely useless Mata, Hazard that is more or less and Cesc who relies a lot on how much Matic covers him. Then you added a newbie in the team in the RW - which we don't know if will be able to cope with the physicality of the league and I'm sorry, but that's a disaster waiting to happen all over. It might not work even against small teams. Also, as someone pointed out, Oscar works well against small teams and we have Cesc, Costa and Hazard also working against small (and big) teams. No need for Mata at all.

His attacking abilities and contributions were never questioned (much), it was his overall contribution to the team, the defending commitment that Mourinho's system requires that cost him his position and lately led him out of the club. If anything we look way more vulnerable defensively this year than last year. Our pressing is in no way what it used to be and Mata would only make that look way worse.

Agree to disagree, then. :lol:

Again, purely speaking of attacking play, Mata needs pace and movement in front of him to thrive. This is why he doesn't look half the player at United as he did here. He's got an aging RvP, an injury plagued Falcao, and no wingers to speak of there. Their attack is stagnant and dull most of the time. He's resigned to sideways passes and walking pace. Here he'd have loads of movement and pace with which to work.

Our attack would be better in my opinion while our overall play would likely suffer, so I agree with you there. We'd probably resemble Arsenal or Liverpool a bit whereas we'd score 3-5 but also concede loads.

Couldn't agree more...we would look so much worse as a team if Mata was our CAM. I'm glad we sold him for a good fee

Well I think I seen enough from him.

It's time to sell him this summer since this is the third season in a role that he goes crap in the second part of the season.

Sell him to juventus and get pogba from them.

He's had 3 seasons to settle to the league and He's been giving the AM role without any competition. There can't be any excuses for his inconsistency anymore. A starting Am at a club like chelsea shouldn't be struggling to control the ball and completing easy passes nevermind be incapable of influencing games offensively.

And yet he starts and starts and starts and starts and gets a new deal...

It must be very painful for you. :)

as a chelsea fan, of course its painful. its like saying cahill keeps on starting and starting and starting so he is awesome!!! :lol: