Stamford Bridge Thread

• 2 weeks later...

When Expansion plans will start? I mean every rival teams are building or expansion their stadiums. Liverpool, Man City, West Ham, even Spurs building a new stadium. Next Seria A teams thinking about it AS Roma new stadium, AC Milan,Inter. So we are really a Big club or just pretending?. For me is so hard to get tickets because basically every time is full. I heard and saw problems. Yeah, I know the stadium is surrounded with a lot of building and there is no space for expansion. Someone has any news? By the way I head Roman hired architects with good reputation I if I'm not wrong, they have built Beijing NT Stadium and Munchen Bayern stadium "Allianz Arena". Sometimes i jealous when i see our rivals playing in World Class stadiums like Old Trafford or Emirates Stadium.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone cares, Herzog and De Meuron (who are apparently the architects for Stamford Bridge's expansion) this week completed Bordeaux's new stadium

Bordeaux-Stadium_Herzog_de-Meuron_dezeen

If anyone cares, Herzog and De Meuron (who are apparently the architects for Stamford Bridge's expansion) this week completed Bordeaux's new stadium

Thats everything that we do not want Stamford Bridge to be.

An ugly bowl hidden by poles .

with a surround roof on

Would still love a big one tier kop for home end

Beautiful... but just you wait until the Grand Stade d'OL is opened. That is what you call a stadium, looks stunning already and it's only half built. That and the Velodrome are just something else.

I didn't know exactly where to put this, but seeing as it's a petition for a Stamford Bridge gate, I'll put it here.

https://www.facebook.com/tony.farmer.948/posts/711794768947326

A CHELSEA SUPPORTER PETITION

Chelsea Football Club has changed beyond all recognition since 1982. New owners, New Stadium, Now one of the biggest clubs in the world.

In April 1982 Paul K Canoville made his Chelsea debut only to be greeted by horrendous abuse from racist Chelsea Supporters. Today Didier Drogba was carried off to a standing ovation from all four sides of Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea Football Club has made giant strides in ridding the club of racist supporters, maybe more than any other club when you consider where we started from.

Back in the early 80's Stamford Bridge was rife with racism, Fulham Road on matchdays was more like the HQ of the National Front with its supporters handing out leaflets, recruiting members and singing their racist chants.

I used to travel the country every week supporting Chelsea. When Paul Canoville was making his first appearances I witnessed the abuse he took, saw bananas being thrown at him by so called 'Chelsea Fans'. I saw the hatred in their eyes, heard the threatening racist abuse that spilled from their mouths. All aimed at a Chelsea player all because he was our 1st black player. These idiots didn't celebrate or even count his goals because he was black. I was embarrassed to be a Chelsea Supporter at times like that. Anyone who saw his documentary on Sky would have been embarrassed by what they saw and heard.

In the face of all this horrendous abuse Canners stood tall and eventually shut them up, made them only see the colour of his shirt and even sing his name. A massive achievement.

He in the space of two seasons started to change Chelsea Football Club forever.
I witnessed the abuse but never stood up against it. Too intimidated. Too scared. It took people like Pat Nevin to come out and register his disgust at the supporters to bring it into the spotlight.

Paul stood up to it and never let it break him. It takes an incredibly strong man to have 40,000 people hurling abuse at him at away games and still carry on. I can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like it for him.

His refusal to give in to the racists paved the way for the likes of Eddie Newton, Frank Sinclair, Keith Dublin to follow in his footsteps, right through to todays players like Drogba, Rameries, Willian and Mikel. It would take to long to name all the black players who have so proudly worn the blue shirt, but players like Desially, Hasselbaink, Makelele, Guillit thankfully never had to endure the racist abuse. All because of Canners.

The players in the youth teams looking to break into the squad like Loftus-Cheek, Solankie, Ake, Brown and more will never have to face abuse about the colour of their skin. Thanks to Canners

Back in the 90's everyone thought racism had gone from Chelsea but it hadn't. I witnessed it when after a match I was drinking with Ross Fraiser and others from the Chelsea Independent Fanzine who fought tirelessly against racism at the Bridge when the pub was attacked by Combat 18. Ross could have very easily lost his life when he was attacked after a game in Poland by someone who tried to slash his throat.
That's how deep racism is embedded in our past.

Now in 2015 we have today lifted the League trophy, but all these years later the name of Chelsea Football Club has again been dragged through the mud by the racists on the Paris Metro. This incident was reported all around the world. If you look on the internet you don't have to look far before you find the word Chelsea closely followed by the word racist.

Although we know this isn't representative of 99.9% of Chelsea fans it is still how we and the Club is perceived. They say 'silence speaks louder than words' but this isn't true in today's world. When a mindless few disrespected the minutes silence to honour the Hillsborough 96, it wasn't the thousands who were silent that were reported but the tiny minority, yet we all get portrayed as thugs. So we need to make our voices heard. It's because of mine and others silence back in the 80's who were to scared to stand up to the racists that Paul took the abuse he did.

So why the petition? Although Ken Bates worked hard to rid Fulham Rd of the racists he was never keen on ex-players around the Club. When Roman Abramovich brought the club one of the first things he did was to embrace the history of the club and welcome back old players. We now have bars, restaurants and suites named after ex players. Dixons, Drakes, Tambling and Osgood.we have hospitality entrances named after Speedie and Spackman. Now I certainly don't mean any disrespect to those two. They are big players from Chelsea's past. I used to sing their names and they were part of a team in the 1980's that made us start dreaming again.

However there is one player from that era who made Chelsea history and will forever be a massive part of our history. Paul Canoville. Yet he has no bars or restaurants named after him. I want to suggest to Chelsea that it is time he was recognised.

I am going to suggest that the Bovril Gate be renamed the Canoville Gate. That a plaque is placed inside the entrance acknowledging his role as Chelsea's first black player and the abuse he took. That whole walkway entrance could have pictures of some of the great black players who have played such an important part in our history.

Why the Bovril Gate? Well I have supported the club over 40 years and have no idea why iis called Bovril or what the name has to do with Chelsea FC.

The Bovril Gate is the entrance used by away supporters. What better way to show that Chelsea has and wants nothing to do with racism. To show how much respect the Club has for black players and supporters.

The Bovril Gate is also the very area where the NF used to peddle their rasict propaganda. Tucking themselves just inside the entrance away from the view of the police. What better way for Chelsea FC to give a symbolic two finger salute to the racists than to name their meeting place after the very player they so abused. It sends a fantastic messsge to the World that if you are racist you are not welcome at Stamford Bridge.

So if you want to see Chelsea honour one of the most important players in our history please like this post and share it with all Chelsea Supporters, Facebook Groups, Internet Forums so we can gain enough names to present to Chelsea FC

REMEMBER NO CANOVILLE = NO DROGBA THEY ARE BOTH LEGENDS

Lets show the world that Chelsea Football Club leads the way in the fight against racism.

BLACK OR WHITE WE ARE ALL BLUE

I didn't know exactly where to put this, but seeing as it's a petition for a Stamford Bridge gate, I'll put it here.

https://www.facebook.com/tony.farmer.948/posts/711794768947326

There's no more racism at cfc than at any other ground. Canners obviously had a hard time back in the day but to have an entrance named after him? No,far more important people have served the club and provided us with much more. This to me just seems an attempt to prove to everyone that we aren't all racists at cfc,which no one with have a brain believes anyway. Time to get over it

I was 15 years old and was at the infamous game when Paul Canovile come on as a sub against Palace. It was without doubt the most shocking thing i'd seen at the time on or off a football pitch. It really was horrible and there's no getting away from it. Canners also got stick at our last away game against Blackburn not as bad apparently i wasn't there but still no excuse for that sort of behaviour. But as far as i'm concerned that was the end of it as i remember. We played Cambridge away on the first day of the following season i was there i don't think Canoville played but there wasn't any racist chanting aimed towards him. That 82-83 season was the worse possibly in our history and i went to most home games and a few away games and i'm sorry i don't recall Paul Canoville getting racially abused. He played about half a season in 82-83 and was much needed as we were dire in those days. He never got racially abused at Stamford Bridge i'm pretty sure of that it's 33 years ago and i might be wrong but i don't recall it. As for throwing bananas that's just utter bollocks i never saw it happen and besides if you were in The Shed in those days you'd have to be an Olympic javelin thrower to get anything on the pitch.

There was a lot of racism at Chelsea but it died out as quickly as it came in yes there were twats selling Bulldog (i think it was called) but racism was never endemic at Chelsea. Although there's no getting away from it there were far right supporters amongst our firm and it would be naive to say there wasn't. As for Paul Canoville i've nothing but respect for the man and i can recommend his book he's really had an interesting life to say the least. And cheers for Sheffield 85 Paul a great night.