Stamford Bridge Thread

6 hours ago, xPetrCechx said:

Haha

Good or Bad thing?

I can't even say that :( 

If I could tell everyone I would. I work for an architecture practice who is involved in the project and the person on the desk next to me is working on Stamford Bridge but if I reveal stuff about it I could lose my job

1 minute ago, Liquidator said:

If I could tell everyone I would. I work for an architecture practice who is involved in the project and the person on the desk next to me is working on Stamford Bridge but if I reveal stuff about it I could lose my job

You already said the most important thing, someone works on the new SB...

On 29/06/2016 at 9:36 PM, Liquidator said:

Ooooh...wonder if its the redesign of the East Stand because of the rail and specific cargo underneath it

1 hour ago, nono said:

Isn't it absurd though that a stadium that costs so much only houses 60000 seats ? I thought it would have been more sensible to build for 80000 or so.

80 is too much... you don't want empty seats every game...

65 would be enough.

2 hours ago, nono said:

Isn't it absurd though that a stadium that costs so much only houses 60000 seats ? I thought it would have been more sensible to build for 80000 or so.

You can't put an 80000 seat stadium on that site. 

2 hours ago, nono said:

If we have another season like the one just finished we will struggle to fill 60,000. Crucial times ahead for us in the next few seasons the thought of playing at Wembley and not filling out our allocation is a possibility. People take the piss out of Man City for not filling their ground there's no guarantee we would fill 60,000. Mourinho's last game in 2007 only 24,000 for a Champions League game I remember going to a UEFA cup game in 2002 and the crowd was 14,000. What I'm saying is Chelsea have a hardcore support of about 25-30,000 the rest are JLC'S and tourists who are just as likely to watch Arsenal if tickets are available.

4 hours ago, Iggy Doonican said:

If we have another season like the one just finished we will struggle to fill 60,000. Crucial times ahead for us in the next few seasons the thought of playing at Wembley and not filling out our allocation is a possibility. People take the piss out of Man City for not filling their ground there's no guarantee we would fill 60,000. Mourinho's last game in 2007 only 24,000 for a Champions League game I remember going to a UEFA cup game in 2002 and the crowd was 14,000. What I'm saying is Chelsea have a hardcore support of about 25-30,000 the rest are JLC'S and tourists who are just as likely to watch Arsenal if tickets are available.

I was once in a crowd of 8,000 at The Bridge (Bristol Rovers home, 1976) but I don't fully agree with the JCL bit.

There is an impact of the hooliganism and racist behaviour we suffered in the dark days which I think people fail to take fully into account. A lot of solid people were disgusted by the behaviour and the atmosphere of threat they encountered when watching Chelsea. Decent fans were driven away from the club by it. David Mellor takes a lot of stick for being one of thoset. He was by no means the no means the only Chelsea fan to wash his/her hands and say I want no part of the violence, the anti-Semitic songs, the monkey-chanting, or the ugly side of skin-head culture. The only times I was threatened with violence at a football match happened at Chelsea and all three times it was Chelsea fans doing the threatening. Thousands, upon thousands of match going supporters were lost to the club at that time. My own dad refused to take me to The Bridge, which is how come my first Chelsea game was actually at Highbury.

Here's the thing however, those people stopped showing up, and as a result their kids never acquired the match going habit, but the families remained Chelsea families. The club was still in the blood so, when times improved and the message began to spread that it was safe to get back to watching games in the flesh, those people and/or their now grown up kids began to return. Technically some of them were indeed new fans (not that there is anything wrong with that) but really they were just returning to the fold.

2 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I was once in a crowd of 8,000 at The Bridge (Bristol Rovers home, 1976) but I don't fully agree with the JCL bit.

There is an impact of the hooliganism and racist behaviour we suffered in the dark days which I think people fail to take fully into account. A lot of solid people were disgusted by the behaviour and the atmosphere of threat they encountered when watching Chelsea. Decent fans were driven away from the club by it. David Mellor takes a lot of stick for being one of thoset. He was by no means the no means the only Chelsea fan to wash his/her hands and say I want no part of the violence, the anti-Semitic songs, the monkey-chanting, or the ugly side of skin-head culture. The only times I was threatened with violence at a football match happened at Chelsea and all three times it was Chelsea fans doing the threatening. Thousands, upon thousands of match going supporters were lost to the club at that time. My own dad refused to take me to The Bridge, which is how come my first Chelsea game was actually at Highbury.

Here's the thing however, those people stopped showing up, and as a result their kids never acquired the match going habit, but the families remained Chelsea families. The club was still in the blood so, when times improved and the message began to spread that it was safe to get back to watching games in the flesh, those people and/or their now grown up kids began to return. Technically some of them were indeed new fans (not that there is anything wrong with that) but really they were just returning to the fold.

I was in a crowd of 6,000 against Orient in 1982. Your right about why people didn't come to the Bridge especially in the 80's where the ground was falling to pieces, there was a heavy NF presence and one thing that opposition fans forget we spent 6 years in division 2 and yet the Bridge was the most expensive in the country. Football changed in the 90's where people started taking an interest especially after Italia 90 and more so Euro 96 and people who had no interest in football started to watch and in my experience all started to support Arsenal (in London).

If Roman hadn't bought the club we wouldn't be a club with world wide appeal and we have picked up support from people who wouldn't have heard of Chelsea before 2003 that's undeniable. It's happening to Man City as well they have a similar hardcore support to us but they will never have the appeal Man United have and I've heard stories of groups of foreigners who have gone to City games expecting to be at Old Trafford. As I said 14,000 the season before Roman arrived for a European game is a poor turn out regardless of the opposition.

Chelsea's support has always suffered midweek historically because so much of our support comes from outside London places like Leatherhead, Epsom etc. So if you leave work at six you then have to get a train and then navigate the tube at rush hour a pain in the arse to say the least. When we beat Liverpool 2-0 in 1982 it was the highlight of my Chelsea watching career at that point 42,000 with 5,000 locked out. A couple of days later we played Cardiff in front of 9,000 it was weird being at both games from a noisy, intimidating place to an empty, crumbling bowl

1 hour ago, Iggy Doonican said:

. It's happening to Man City as well they have a similar hardcore support to us but they will never have the appeal Man United have and I've heard stories of groups of foreigners who have gone to City games expecting to be at Old Trafford.

When I was at our Charity Shield at Villa Park v Citeh, there was a group of Chinese bedecked in United paraphenalia.

Ridiculous as it was they didn't deserve the kicking they got from Man City fans

2 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

When I was at our Charity Shield at Villa Park v Citeh, there was a group of Chinese bedecked in United paraphenalia.

Ridiculous as it was they didn't deserve the kicking they got from Man City fans

Citeh fans... oh...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, xPetrCechx said:

FFS!

westham has a new stadium with 60K seats, sold out for their first game there yesterday, and they are paying only 2.5mil per year for him?!

:middlefinger:

Have you seen the distance from the stands to the pitch though? It ruins it.