Stamford Bridge Thread

3 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Nice pic of your hero though.

Nice motor too!

Just a reminder that Ossie, not Greavsie, was, and is, my hero. I just think that Jimmy is the best footballer ever to have represented this club and, by close on a zillion miles, the best player ever to emerge from our youth system.

23 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Nice motor too!

Just a reminder that Ossie, not Greavsie, was, and is, my hero. I just think that Jimmy Is the best footballer ever to have represented this club and, by close on a zillion miles, the best player ever to emerge from our youth system.

Walked into an empty pub in Bristol and Senor Ossie sat in the corner. After a double take sat with him for over and hour and he bought me three pints and I reciprocated with 3 large glasses of red. Told me so many stories that I thought I was privy too, including stuff about George Best -however a lot of it was repeated in his 'motivational' speech an hour later !  Superb geez though, and I grew up watching him from the Shed. He died a year to the day later.

2 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Walked into an empty pub in Bristol and Senor Ossie sat in the corner. After a double take sat with him for over and hour and he bought me three pints and I reciprocated with 3 large glasses of red. Told me so many stories that I thought I was privy too, including stuff about George Best -however a lot of it was repeated in his 'motivational' speech an hour later !  Superb geez though, and I grew up watching him from the Shed. He died a year to the day later.

My childhood hero and always the King of Stamford Bridge as far as I'm concerned. I remember when he came back me and my mates were on a Red Bus Rover :D we walked into a shop and asked the geezer what the Chelsea score was this about 3.15. He said 1-0 to Chelsea Osgood scoring, my mate said '' I really think we'll win today''. One of the reasons I'm still a pessimist when it comes to Chelsea doesn't matter how successful we are the final score ? 7-2 to Middlesbrough.

22 hours ago, Iggy Doonican said:

My childhood hero and always the King of Stamford Bridge as far as I'm concerned. I remember when he came back me and my mates were on a Red Bus Rover :D we walked into a shop and asked the geezer what the Chelsea score was this about 3.15. He said 1-0 to Chelsea Osgood scoring, my mate said '' I really think we'll win today''. One of the reasons I'm still a pessimist when it comes to Chelsea doesn't matter how successful we are the final score ? 7-2 to Middlesbrough.

Yeah remember that -Blanchflowers first game and he didn't last long. Both Ossie and Chopper were developing lager legs as well by then

14 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Yeah remember that -Blanchflowers first game and he didn't last long. Both Ossie and Chopper were developing lager legs as well by then

Here you go F.B. fine header by Ossie but nearly 40 years later I still can't watch it :o

1 hour ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Here you go F.B. fine header by Ossie but nearly 40 years later I still can't watch it :o

Not so painful if you only watch the first goal. :)

Quiz for oldies like me. Only watch the first goal (stop the vid at 14 seconds) and answer these questions: -

1. Who is the 4 that put the ball across for The King to score?
  2. Who is the 11 that played the 4 in?
  3. Identify the man who floated the ball out to the 11.
  4. What was the regular shirt number of the man who floated the ball out to the 11? (You can't see it in the build up to the goal.)
  5. Who is the commentator?

No goggle or old match programs allowed.

8 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Quiz for oldies like me. Only watch the first goal (stop the vid at 14 seconds) and answer these questions: -

4. What was the regular shirt number of the man who floated the ball out to the 11? (You can't see it in the build up to the goal.)

1. John Bumstead

2. Gary Stanley

3. Cant see

4 Ditto

5 Sounds like Ken Wolstenhulme

Edit  Q3 and 4 could be Tommy Langley and he was usually no 9

13 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

1. John Bumstead

2. Gary Stanley

3. Cant see

4 Ditto

5 Sounds like Ken Wolstenhulme

Edit  Q3 and 4 could be Tommy Langley and he was usually no 9

Hello FB

I reckon you've got two right, but I won't confirm who I think they are yet in case anyone else wants to have a go.

If we can't agree who we think is who, I'll dig out the program for the next home game, which I will certainly have been at, and check.

10 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

1. John Bumstead. 2. Gary Stanley. 3. Tommy Langley who wore nine I remember vividly because he took the place of my favourite player at the time Steve Finnieston. I have mentioned in other posts I still have the old red away shirt with the number nine which I will upload soon. The commentator is Hugh Johns.

11 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

1. John Bumstead. 2. Gary Stanley. 3. Tommy Langley who wore nine I remember vividly because he took the place of my favourite player at the time Steve Finnieston. I have mentioned in other posts I still have the old red away shirt with the number nine which I will upload soon. The commentator is Hugh Johns.

Hello Iggy,

I haven't checked yet but I'm pretty confident about the identifications. If I'm not wrong, then you've only got one correct ID so far. :)

53 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

P.S. I hated that red, white and green kit. I only ever remember us being crap in it, including the first time I saw it; an Anglo Scottish Cup (remember that) game at Craven Cottage. We also wore it the day we were hammered 3-0 at The Den. Not a nice afternoon.

Speaking of that game, I was there, in the Milwall end I might add, with some mates including a lad called Tommy Bartlett. I don't know if any users of this forum knew Tom, but he passed away last month. His funeral was held on Friday before last and his coffin was draped in a Chelsea flag as he had requested. Rest in peace Tommy boy.

4 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Hello FB

I reckon you've got two right, but I won't confirm who I think they are yet in case anyone else wants to have a go.

If we can't agree who we think is who, I'll dig out the program for the next home game, which I will certainly have been at, and check.

Yeah might be worth checking your programme. 99% sure it's Bumstead No 4 and Stanley no 11

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Hello Iggy,

I haven't checked yet but I'm pretty confident about the identifications. If I'm not wrong, then you've only got one correct ID so far. :)

Kenny Swain instead of Stanley perhaps pretty sure about Johnny B and can't think of any other one than Hugh Johns. Tommy Langley definitely played as a number nine with us. You might as well tell us Greavsie  not many old boys on here but you, me and FB :D