The English Football Thread

Steve

I have a question about the classification.

I'm from Spain and in La Liga when two teams have played and have the same points, the one above is the one that scores the most goals in those 2 games.

Ex: Real Madrid 2 - 0 Barcelona. Barcelona 3 - 0 Real Madrid. Result: 3-2 for Barcelona. 1º Barcelona 60 points. 2º Real Madrid 60 points.

Why now if Chelsea won both games to Manchester City, is City 2nd and Chelsea 3rd? What counts is the goal difference in the league?

Thanks!

Goal difference is the first tiebreaker in the PL.

• Replies 65.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

I don't know why people are so fond of Michael Laudrup. For me, He got lucky with the Michu signing, and he's gone off the boil now. He wasn't going to keep that up forever. Got his side pressing high yes, and playing nice football, but their results in the league have been dire. They got spanked 2-0 at Upton Park, and are only 2 points above the relegation zone. With Rodgers side with a few more faces added they were in the top half, now this season the wheel's are falling off the bandwagon.

Won a Carling Cup yes, But who did he actually beat in it? We were in free fall under Benitez when they beat us and then had to play League Two Bradford in the final!

Thought as far as sackings go he could have no complaints. Spend money in the summer aswell, with Shelvey the only one of his signings that have been of any worth, and Chico Flores is a disgusting human being.

i dont understand why in the EPL the direct duels dont count if you are equal on points. Bad for us, good for City, who have a TD of +41 or something like this. we will have to surpass them in terms of points if we want to win the league. Arsenal are only 2 goals in front of us though.

i dont understand why in the EPL the direct duels dont count if you are equal on points. Bad for us, good for City, who have a TD of +41 or something like this. we will have to surpass them in terms of points if we want to win the league. Arsenal are only 2 goals in front of us though.

i think that is fair. GD should be the first criteria in any LEAGUE when trying to break a tie-breaker. why should city's performance in 2 matches be the criteria of deciding their position in the league when they have done better in the other 36 matches!!!

hypothetically suppose,

chelsea won against city 1-0 at SB, but when playing at etihad we were 2-1 down in the 85th minute (hence leading on away goal), but to look for the goal that would draw the match, we attack but concede a counter goal, hence losing 3-1. so in the head to head criteria chelsea loses the title to city.

hence the head to head thing in a league makes no sense to me.

Won a Carling Cup yes, But who did he actually beat in it? We were in free fall under Benitez when they beat us and then had to play League Two Bradford in the final!

Is there any need to play down Swansea's League Cup success? Regardless of who they faced, Swansea can only beat what is in front of them and they did just that. Hardly their fault Bradford got to the final and not someone else like say Arsenal. A trophy is a trophy at the end of the day and mind you, they beat us over two legs and Liverpool at Anfield in the process. Also to say we were free fall under Benitez seems somewhat off. If anything, we were inconsistent under him overall but heading into that tie, we were in decent form winning 8 of the 10 matches before that.

Manchester United's 'Ask Carrick' on Twitter hugely backfired when some of the fans vented out their anger with some of these hilarious questions...

#‎AskCarrick if you could drop one player from the team how would you tell Cleverley?.

#AskCarrick How does it feeling knowing Begovic has more goals than you this season.

#askcarrick in what game was your most memorable pass back to your keeper.

#AskCarrick Do you watch Cleverly train to feel good about yourself?

#AskCarrick On a scale of Tom Cleverly to 10, how bad is Ashley Young?

#AskCarrick Which pub will you go to watch the World Cup?

#AskCarrick Would Moyes consider putting De Gea upfront, so that you can pass the ball the right way?

#AskCarrick If a ball leaves your boot travelling at 30km per hour at 3 pm on saturday, how long does it take to reach De Gea?

#AskCarrick Have you tried putting on your kit backwards so you could pass the ball forward?

#AskCarrick As a child, did you ever dream of becoming a footballer? What stopped you?

#AskCarrick Be Honest, Do You Ever Include Yourself In Your Fantasy Premier League Team?

#AskCarrick Do you think Welback has really been training too hard on penalty?

#AskCarrick Are you going to reply to any of the #AskCarrick tweets or pass it over to De Gea?

#AskCarrick Do you die a little inside when you're looking for someone to pass to and Tom Cleverley is to your left.

#AskCarrick Do you ever look at Young, Cleverly, Smalling, Welbeck & question the point of living?

#AskCarrick Did Cleverly win a competition on the back of a box of cereals to play for MUFC?

#AskCarrick If you had to choose between having

Cleverley as a midfield partner or being stabbed in the

leg, how many stabs would you take?

#AskCarrick Do you get depressed when you see Tom

Cleverley's name on the team sheet and realize you're

gonna have to play with 10 men?

#AskCarrick How many times has Mata tried to run away since signing for us?

Priceless

Manchester United's 'Ask Carrick' on Twitter hugely backfired when some of the fans vented out their anger with some of these hilarious questions...

#‎AskCarrick if you could drop one player from the team how would you tell Cleverley?.

#AskCarrick How does it feeling knowing Begovic has more goals than you this season.

#AskCarrick Would Moyes consider putting De Gea upfront, so that you can pass the ball the right way?

#AskCarrick If a ball leaves your boot travelling at 30km per hour at 3 pm on saturday, how long does it take to reach De Gea?

#AskCarrick Have you tried putting on your kit backwards so you could pass the ball forward?

#AskCarrick As a child, did you ever dream of becoming a footballer? What stopped you?

#AskCarrick Be Honest, Do You Ever Include Yourself In Your Fantasy Premier League Team?

#AskCarrick Are you going to reply to any of the #AskCarrick tweets or pass it over to De Gea?

#AskCarrick Do you die a little inside when you're looking for someone to pass to and Tom Cleverley is to your left.

#AskCarrick Do you ever look at Young, Cleverly, Smalling, Welbeck & question the point of living?

#AskCarrick Did Cleverly win a competition on the back of a box of cereals to play for MUFC?

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: lmaaaaaoooooo hahahaha

Is there any need to play down Swansea's League Cup success? Regardless of who they faced, Swansea can only beat what is in front of them and they did just that. Hardly their fault Bradford got to the final and not someone else like say Arsenal. A trophy is a trophy at the end of the day and mind you, they beat us over two legs and Liverpool at Anfield in the process. Also to say we were free fall under Benitez seems somewhat off. If anything, we were inconsistent under him overall but heading into that tie, we were in decent form winning 8 of the 10 matches before that.

I'm not playing it down, I'm saying it shouldn't be used to keep Laudrup in the job this season. I don't know where people get this myth that he's a world beater of a coach for winning a Carling Cup.

Landrup was going to leave Swansea anyways this summer....

So, it was a matter of time...

When you have a limit in terms of funds and your best player gets injured, it is difficult to maintain your good league form...

On a side note, I guess cruff was right about landrup work ethic after all the reports coming out from Wales about practices...

I expect Landrup to get a job in the summer. Maybe even United....

‪#‎AskCarrick‬ if you could drop one player from the team how would you tell Cleverley?.

this was just EPIC!!!! thank u for sharing this and making me laugh so much.

‘I am deeply disappointed to have been dismissed as manager of Swansea City. In particular, the manner in which it happened and the actions the club has taken since notifying me in the briefest of letters which gave no reasons why such hasty and final action was deemed necessary. I am, of course taking legal advice and the LMA have already written to the club asking for a proper explanation as to why I was summarily dismissed. Until we receive the response I am unable to say any more about the termination but I do want to take this early opportunity to thank the Swansea City fans for their continued support and say it has been an honour to manage this great football club.

‘I have thoroughly enjoyed my time managing in the Barclays Premier League which I consider to be the one of the best leagues in world football. I leave the club proud of our collective achievements over the past 20 months and I believe we have continued the club’s progression in the manner of my predecessors including Roberto Martinez and Brendan Rodgers.

‘Of course the obvious highlight during my time in charge was leading Swansea to the first major trophy in the club’s history in winning the Capital One Cup at Wembley resulting in European qualification. In addition, our 9th place in the Barclays Premier League was our highest finish in 31 years and the second highest in the club's 102-year history which again is something which fills me with pride. This season we have all enjoyed the memorable journey in the Europa League where the team will soon to face Napoli in the last 32 of the competition. The club has informed me that I cannot visit the training ground to say my farewells to the players so I do that now through this statement. The players have been fantastic and their contribution under the very professional guidance of my coaching staff has been absolutely fundamental to the club’s recent successes. Three members of my staff have also been dismissed.

‘Whilst league results have been disappointing of late, we are still 12th in the table and it is there for all to see the fine margins in the league this season in terms of points that separate 11 clubs. Although we have been unfortunate with injuries, I believe our league form would have improved and that we would have benefited from the forthcoming Europa League and FA Cup matches.

‘I wish the club the very best for the future and for the rest of the season in the Barclays Premier League, Europa League and The FA Cup.’

-Michael Landrup