The English Football Thread

Steve

Just now, Jason said:

We should try putting in a cheeky bid for Kane. 

he wouldn't come here, and for his age, not worth it

I think IF we are going to drop that level of money on one player

go full billy big bollocks and buy MBAPPE, as he would be only 50 to 100m more

and at that level, who cares

we have shit away (when the books are closed soon say after next summer or the summer of 2021) close to £250-300m in just lost  sale valuations starting from bad decisions starting in 2016-7

and that does NOT count bad bad buys and salaries

• Replies 65.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

We should try putting in a cheeky bid for Kane. 

replying again (riffing off my first reply)

I am quite content to not buy Mbappe as it is the ultimate pipe dream (I would fucking go for it, but I am not a billionaire club owner, wish I was)

I laid out a VERY detailed and reasoned case on who to buy, how much money we have, and what it will cost (and even swallowed my pride and gave scenarios where we keep Zouma)

this is a really good post, refinement of a lot of work

and here I immediately dealt with RB

Tottenham fans cheer Sheffield United supporters' voiced VAR gripes

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/tottenham-hotspur/story/3985997/tottenham-fans-cheer-sheffield-united-supporters-voiced-var-gripes

Such is the disquiet with VAR that Tottenham Hotspur fans gave their Sheffield United counterparts a round of applause when the visiting supporters loudly vented their frustration at the technology on Saturday.

The Video Assistant Referee system had helped preserve the lead Son Heung-Min gave Tottenham in the 58th minute. But few in the ground could understand why David McGoldrick's equaliser minutes later had been disallowed.

It seemed a clear-cut goal when Sheffield's McGoldrick tapped home Enda Stevens's cross -- but when referee Graham Scott put his finger to his ear, the visiting fans' celebrations were put on hold.

Nearly four minutes later, the goal was ruled out, apparently because during the build-up John Lundstram's big toe had been offside by half the width of a shoelace, if that.

Had George Baldock's later equaliser, which also went to VAR, been ruled out too, it would have been an injustice for Chris Wilder's side, who were worth at least a 1-1 draw.

I'm sorry but what?! His toe was offside lol!!! That's ridiculous. So if he had smaller feet he'd been onside. How is that a thing?! Managers complained about clear offside goals given not by a sodding mm or something 

The whole thing is ridiculous! 

21 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

I'm sorry but what?! His toe was offside lol!!! That's ridiculous. So if he had smaller feet he'd been onside. How is that a thing?! Managers complained about clear offside goals given not by a sodding mm or something 

Dier's shoulder played his 'toe' onside. The presenters on all 3 networks I watched went on diatribes for ages, and also, apparently VAR did not have that angle.

It is all a falsely-legitimised match fixing scheme. 

it is OUTRAGEOUS that the on-field refs are being overruled and yet they refuse to look at the on-field monitor, and also outrageous that they do not to get ALL the angles.

It is destroying the game's integrity.

11 hours ago, Laylabelle said:

Right now they are using computer to determine offside so it is too precise. I doubt that it is going to change this season but next season I think fans, player and coaches want computer to draw line on defender and let VAR official take look at it. If by naked eye it look offside, it is offside, if not then it is not. 

Penalty call imo is the weird part. I understand it is subjective, but some of them quite blatant

other than Pogba missing (Swapped out for Fred or Andreas Pereira depending on the formation)

this is Manure's strongest possible lineup (which shows you how far they have fallen)

Martial at striker worries me, as I still think it is his natural position