Steven Pienaar

BlueLion.

A rule is a command, not a statement. What you stated was a lesson.

Pros: We have a replacement if Lampard get's injured again before Mikel, Yossi, and Zhirkov recover, before Essien rediscovers his form, and we decide to not play our own youngsters, AGAIN.

Cons: Everything you decided not to address.

Care to enlighten us? Because as far as I'm concerned, you're not living in reality. The days of us buying players for £30 million have LONG since gone.

Lampard wasn't better than Benayoun/Pienaar when he joined us. Of course he was younger but still, he wasn't better.

And don't people realise you also need (good) players on the bench? People complain about our weak bench but when a player like Pienaar comes along to strenghten the bench, they don't want him? The likes of Hamsik, Sanchez or whatever won't join us to sit on the bench.

We still have one the strongest first 11's in the league, when they perform like they should, but we have a weak bench so the club should focus on that first. If we went out and bought someone like Sanchez now, he would probably still have to get used to the team and the league. It's better to get players like that in the summer.

Exactly. Pinenaar is a proven player in the Premier League, equally capable of scoring and creating goals as he is at defending. He is an excellent, dynamic midfielder and would fit easily into the Chelsea system.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lampard wasn't better than Benayoun/Pienaar when he joined us. Of course he was younger but still, he wasn't better.

And don't people realise you also need (good) players on the bench? People complain about our weak bench but when a player like Pienaar comes along to strenghten the bench, they don't want him? The likes of Hamsik, Sanchez or whatever won't join us to sit on the bench.

We still have one the strongest first 11's in the league, when they perform like they should, but we have a weak bench so the club should focus on that first. If we went out and bought someone like Sanchez now, he would probably still have to get used to the team and the league. It's better to get players like that in the summer.

Our bench is weak because we only use half of it. We would start crippled veterans rather then put in fresh blood. Arsenal's bench are hungry youngsters waiting for starters to pick up an injury so they get their chance to shine. Thats what should be sitting on our bench, not a bandaid player.

A rule is a command, not a statement. What you stated was a lesson.

Pros: We have a replacement if Lampard get's injured again before Mikel, Yossi, and Zhirkov recover, before Essien rediscovers his form, and we decide to not play our own youngsters, AGAIN.

Cons: Everything you decided not to address.

For some reason you're getting hyper against me - chill out.

Re your 'pro', you need to realise that if Pienaar signs, he'll be a stopgap - there to fill in when Lampard is injured (which he is likely to be more often, judging by his words regarding his tendon and the constant care that it needs) or when he is rested (which will also happen more often, considering he is 34).

In 2 years Josh will be ready to take over what Lampard does for the team. In the meantime, so that he is not pressurized too much, it is ideal if we have a late 20s creative, hardworking midfielder who can fill in for Lamps. For 3 mil, Pienaar fits the bill perfectly.

So to sum up then -

Pros

1. In the age gap the club lacks players in (20s to 30s)

2. 3 million

3. Squad player but handy replacement for Lampard in the short term

4. Hard working, links the defence and attack

5. Creative, scores goals.

6. The entire team can't be made of superstars - you need good if not remarkable players as well. Look at Citeh.

Cons

None - and yes I believe that, it's not meant as a windup. We could do worse than a 3 mil Pienaar.

Our own coach said in a press conference that we dont need this player. Signing a player because it would only be a cheap mistake isnt exactly a good move. If the club thinks this is a good move, they will sign him and I will stand corrected. If they dont, I'd like to assume they already considered my cons whistling.gif

My apologies if you sensed any sort of hostility in my post, definitely did not mean any.

Our bench is weak because we only use half of it. We would start crippled veterans rather then put in fresh blood. Arsenal's bench are hungry youngsters waiting for starters to pick up an injury so they get their chance to shine. Thats what should be sitting on our bench, not a bandaid player.

Don't get what your saying. So you want us to go out and buy very talented young players right now in the winter?

Arsenal have the likes of Squillaci, Eboue, Rosicky, Diaby, Denilson, Bendtner, Chamakh, Arshavin on the bench. Not exactly youngsters, that's a myth.

Arsenal have the likes of Squillaci, Eboue, Rosicky, Diaby, Denilson, Bendtner, Chamakh, Arshavin on the bench. Not exactly youngsters, that's a myth.

Denilson and Arshavin proved in the Carling Cup that they are not good option. :D

How can we disscuss having tyhe player if he is set to go somewhere else?

We held talks with him and failed, better to pack up the briefcase and move on to the next one on the list rather then moaning about what could have been while the window shuts.

And don't people realise you also need good players on the bench? People complain about our weak bench but when a player like Pienaar comes along to strenghten the bench, they don't want him? The likes of Hamsik, Sanchez or whatever won't join us to sit on the bench.

Exactly. Pinenaar is a proven player in the Premier League, equally capable of scoring and creating goals as he is at defending. He is an excellent, dynamic midfielder and would fit easily into the Chelsea system.

Good points and I would have considered them when we signed Benayoun.

Now.. just no.

While I still believe that our bench is weak buying Pienaar would be step back especially after our transfers during the summer.

Hell we might as well have kept Cole + Benayoun if we're so desperate for mediocre midfield choices.

After the summer clear-out I firmly believe that we should emphasize on finding suitable replacements for our starters and not our benchwarmers.

• Didier Drogba - 32
  • Frank Lampard - 32
  • Nicolas Anelka - 31
  • Florent Malouda - 30

Our own coach said in a press conference that we dont need this player. Signing a player because it would only be a cheap mistake isnt exactly a good move. If the club thinks this is a good move, they will sign him and I will stand corrected.

Carlo can stay stuff for a million different reasons lol, his words need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

The club are very much interested in him judging by the newspaper reports that have been linked here. The only reason it won't go ahead is because of disagreement re personal terms.

Anyway, que sera sera :D

The fact we're paying £3 million now demonstrates a - how serious Ancelotti is to bring fresh blood in to the team, and b - that we need to be buying players.

Your point about Ozil is a fair one, but why would he want to come to Chelsea over Madrid? We simply don't have the financial pulling power any more, and we have to be contented with this type of signing, because it'll be a rare occurrence that we'll spend more than that on a footballer over the next couple of years.

I heard about this Russian billionaire who lined up heavy millions for some liverpool striker last year. Then another 25 for a teenager.

Good points and I would have considered them when we signed Benayoun.

Now.. just no.

While I still believe that our bench is weak buying Pienaar would be step back especially after our transfers during the summer.

Hell we might as well have kept Cole + Benayoun if we're so desperate for mediocre midfield choices.

After the summer clear-out I firmly believe that we should emphasize on finding suitable replacements for our starters and not our benchwarmers.

• Didier Drogba - 32
  • Frank Lampard - 32
  • Nicolas Anelka - 31
  • Florent Malouda - 30

A backup player for our bench haha!!

I heard about this Russian billionaire who lined up heavy millions for some liverpool striker last year. Then another 25 for a teenager.

And I heard neither of them happened.

Everton contract rebel Steven Pienaar will snub Chelsea to sign for Spurs next week.

The Stamford Bridge club offered £3million for the midfielder, after Everton accepted £2m from Spurs following months of haggling over player-swap possibilities with David Moyes’s club.

Within a couple of hours of Everton accepting the offer from White Hart Lane, Double winners Chelsea raised the bidding by £1m and have been given ­permission to speak to the South African midfielder.

However, sources close to Pienaar reveal he will reject the Stamford Bridge move and leave Everton to thrash out a compromise figure with Spurs for his signature over the weekend.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Steven-Pienaar-will-snub-Chelsea-in-favour-of-Tottenham-move-article673175.html#ixzz1B6neLZv8

Well I don't know why he'd choose Tottenham - Especially when they have the likes of Kranjcar occupying the bench :whistling:

I've read all the comments on this thread and I do understand both people for & against this transfer. All valid points, his age, his quality, his price ect all work for/against him.

My personal view is also mixed. If we make the signing I'll be happy with it. It's like Blue Heart said; Carlo's reluctance to trust the youth (which he may disprove today) shows our weak bench - Is much weaker that we think. Pienaar, could be a game changer. Because of the creativity he's demonstrated for Everton he'd be an idea signing at the age of 28. At 28, he's definitely past his peak, but he's not (yet) on the decline. If Carlo is a good coach, he will be able to get 2-4 seasons out of him.

This might have been a different view, say if Benayoun was not injured and we'd had him on the bench. But the fact is, when we're 1-0 down. There's no player we can call upon who we know will make a difference. Sturridge won't come on till the 80th minute, Kalou will offer us some pace and motive (but may not, necassarily find that crucial pass) & Kakuta has not shown his true potential yet.

That being said - If the transfer does not happen, well I won't be gutted. This whole saga does show one thing though (which we can be happy about). That is that a) Abramovich is willing to sanction transfers & b ) Carlo is showing will to dip into the market

As much faith as I have in McEachran and Kakuta, it is going to be another couple of seasons before they are regulars - two seasons where Pienaar can act as the stop-gap at £3 million, as opposed to signing someone for ten times that.

http://www.guardian....-essien-chelsea

Things could turn around sooner than you think. This is the move ive been awaiting from Carlo.

http://www.guardian....-essien-chelsea

Things could turn around sooner than you think. This is the move ive been awaiting from Carlo.

I hope for you the reality ain't gonna hurt you :

1 Petr Cech

17 Jose Bosingwa

2 Branislav Ivanovic

26 John Terry ©

3 Ashley Cole

7 Ramires

5 Michael Essien

8 Frank Lampard

39 Nicolas Anelka

11 Didier Drogba

15 Florent Malouda