Steven Pienaar

BlueLion.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying that, we can drop any attempt to lure Neymar or Lukaku to the team and sign Owen!

His contract is running out in 6 months time, and he has been world class before. Hell, he is even one of England's all top goalscorers. Let's get him!

Great idea, let's bring a whole bunch of 0ver 30 players for free :rolleyes:

Benayoun is an extremely average player, Pienaar's slightly above average.

£3m is a good price. Considering Roman won't pay over the odds for wages in the summer. I suppose we may as well give it a go, the youngsters will suffer though.. only real talent will survive.

Great idea, let's bring a whole bunch of 0ver 30 players for free :rolleyes:

I was being scarcastic :unsure:

I don't mind whoever comes in, as though they can perform better then the team has in past couple of months.

Problem is, in 6-months all clubs will come running. Tottenham & Inter Milan. Then it will become a war of wages, which we will almost certainly not take part in.

It's already a war of wages, apparently he agreed 70k with Tottenham so getting him on the free for a couple of years on high wages is pretty similar to paying 3m and 50-60k.

Saying that, we can drop any attempt to lure Neymar or Lukaku to the team and sign Owen!

His contract is running out in 6 months time, and he has been world class before. Hell, he is even one of England's all top goalscorers. Let's get him!

In all seriousness, I rate Owen more that our other super-sub/poacher.

Great idea, let's bring a whole bunch of over 30 players for free :rolleyes:

Sounds better than paying for over-30 players *cough*Benayoun*cough*

It's already a war of wages, apparently he agreed 70k with Tottenham so getting him on the free for a couple of years on high wages is pretty similar to paying 3m and 50-60k.

Hmm.. We don't know that for sure though. Media speculation would be easy to drive up that as an excuse. Everton have already said Pienaar's not been allowed to be in talks with Tottenham. It's anyone's guess whether he's done it or not.

This is perhaps the best way to sign him. Certainly this way it's a 2 horse race as opposed to fighting off competition from as up to 5 other clubs.

At the end of the day, we need whoever we can get... as long as we have the depth in the squad ...

That's a short-sighted approach.
This is perhaps the best way to sign him. Certainly this way it's a 2 horse race as opposed to fighting off competition from as up to 5 other clubs.

Could be, I'm fundamentally against such a move due to the genius that handed Benayoun a three-year deal.

That's a short-sighted approach.

Could be, I'm fundamentally against such a move due to the genius that handed Benayoun a three-year deal.

hindsight is a wonderful thing ,,,pienar is possibly insurance against more midfield injuries.... and of course it was easy yo know yossi would pick up

a serious injury

I understand that view. Hardly anyone was impressed with that deal. However in terms of how this season is going - This is perhaps an intelligent deal. Pienaar has demonstrated his quality this season, he's ready to go, there's no need to "adapt". He can come straight into the team and do that job at hand. I don't see him lasting longer than 3-years though. He may even be gone by next January.

hindsight is a wonderful thing ,,,pienar is possibly insurance against more midfield injuries

Cole, Ballack or even Belletti would have been insurances too.
.... and of course it was easy yo know yossi would pick up

a serious injury

Any injury was easier to predict than the daftness of starting the season with 16 senior outfield players.
I don't see him lasting longer than 3-years though. He may even be gone by next January.

Why don't we look for a loanee then? Not to mention that we've got 3 midfielders of our own out on loans, they may not be as ready as Pienaar but playing them would be better considering their future with the club, kinda like not playing Borini when the club knew he was going to leave.

And don't get me started about Kakuta..

Why don't we look for a loanee then? Not to mention that we've got 3 midfielders of our own out on loans, they may not be as ready as Pienaar but playing them would be better considering their future with the club, kinda like not playing Borini when the club knew he was going to leave.

And don't get me started about Kakuta..

I was actually thinking about the loanee thing while I was typing that. But there-in lies the problem. Because this is the only player who is available and who is a good match we don't have a choice. It's either buy and sell later - or let him go and look elsewhere. There's no point in bringing in a loanee from abroad because there's no time for them to adapt. The likes on Mancinenne and Cork won't be recalled either.

If I read Tottenham had signed him but agreed to loan him to us, I'd be delighted. It'd be the best solution. Like what Genoa did. They bought K.P. Boateng from Pompy, then loaned him out to AC Milan - Also giving them an option to buy. It'd be a great sort of deal for us.

I was actually thinking about the loanee thing while I was typing that. But there-in lies the problem. Because this is the only player who is available and who is a good match we don't have a choice. It's either buy and sell later - or let him go and look elsewhere. There's no point in bringing in a loanee from abroad because there's no time for them to adapt. The likes on Mancinenne and Cork won't be recalled either.

If I read Tottenham had signed him but agreed to loan him to us, I'd be delighted. It'd be the best solution. Like what Genoa did. They bought K.P. Boateng from Pompy, then loaned him out to AC Milan - Also giving them an option to buy. It'd be a great sort of deal for us.

Fair enough. While I'm not of the opinion that two wrongs make a right it looks like we have to be happy with a 3m wrong that will help us fix our monstrous squad problem.

I just don't get how can anyone be delighted with this signing.

Fair enough. While I'm not of the opinion that two wrongs make a right it looks like we have to be happy with a 3m wrong that will help us fix our monstrous squad problem.

I just don't get how can anyone be delighted with this signing.

Yeah "delighted" is perhaps a strong word. I'd be more.. Content. Because we'd be buying a player who, until the rest of the season, would be a good asset to have. Beyond that though.. Well he'd be unneeded. Imo.